Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2004-02-18, 11:30 PM   #26
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

wow, this seccs track day idea is going to be awesome. Matt and Scott, again, good thinking to get some momentum going on this.

Pat & Mike, right on with the clock comments, don't need the weight, and it's time to floor it, 'specially on an open road with the top down. That's a future dream, have a car where i can drive with the top down.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 07:27 AM   #27
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I was just kidding with the clock comment, geez... Everyone should know if I had my druthers the OEM's would offer lightweight racing models of performance cars straight from the factory, no sound deadening, no A/C, no radio, no interior, no nothing.
Old 2004-02-19, 11:34 AM   #28
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Alright, I just got more info from the driving school via email:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET
Hi Scott,

I'd be happy to get something set up for you!

If you get a minimum of 10 cars, we can give you a 10% discount ($175/$200/$225). Please note that the advanced classes cost more due to the "personalized" nature of the instruction. If you get 20 or more cars, we can get you an "exclusive day" for your club. We could probably accommodate a second day on a Sunday if you get enough cars.

Let me know what else I can do.

ET
So it looks like our goal is 10+ cars for a 1 day school.... or 20 to take over the track! I think $175 for a 1 day intro school is a pretty good price. My only concerns would be a lack of instructors, so I'm hoping we can get some of the experienced drivers to act as additional ride-along instructors. Dean, how does one go about setting that up?

I'm also leaning towards May 1st for the day since that fits in after the April Reno AutoXes and before RIM (May 7,8,9). Other days available (as far as the Reno AutoX schedule) are April 3 and April 10, unless we're willing to try and get the track day in at the end of March, which would be the weekend right after the Buttonwillow track day... probably too soon.
Old 2004-02-19, 11:44 AM   #29
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

May 1 sounds good now lets get 20 cars
Old 2004-02-19, 12:21 PM   #30
Egan
EJ18

Is this a track day or a school? From the ET email (and their website) it sounds more like a school for beginners only. What about those of us with more track experience? Would this be a waste of time/$ for us?

Can you guys give us some more details on what exactly you're proposing for this event? I assumed it would be similar to other HPDE's I've attended where you have different run groups based on experience level.
Old 2004-02-19, 12:48 PM   #31
Pat R.
EJ251

Car: Red
Class: Stockish

¿Quién es tu padre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Everyone should know if I had my druthers the OEM's would offer lightweight racing models of performance cars straight from the factory, no sound deadening, no A/C, no radio, no interior, no nothing.
I'm the same way. I'm thinking about selling the S2K and picking up a Lotus Elise instead.

Holding the school on May 1st sounds cool to me.
Pat R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 12:51 PM   #32
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R.
I'm the same way. I'm thinking about selling the S2K and picking up a Lotus Elise instead.
HELL YEA!!!
Old 2004-02-19, 01:19 PM   #33
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan
Is this a track day or a school? From the ET email (and their website) it sounds more like a school for beginners only. What about those of us with more track experience? Would this be a waste of time/$ for us?

Can you guys give us some more details on what exactly you're proposing for this event? I assumed it would be similar to other HPDE's I've attended where you have different run groups based on experience level.
The problem with an HPDE w/o instruction is that Reno-Fernley requires some sort of license or authorization from the owner to get out on course. Basically you need to have track experience, and be able to prove it, before they'll let you out there. I'd like to set up non-instructional sessions too, however I'm not sure how that will work, I'll contact the school and/or the track to find out more. There is an issue of insurance. SECCS does not have it's own coverage, so we need to be under somone else's umbrella. Most HPDE's are in association with a more formal club, such as NASA or SCCA. We're attempting to do this under the umbrella of the Next Level Driving School, so we simply may not be able to setup non-instructional laps. Of course, if you have track experience, you should be able to run Tes-n-Tune whick would put you on course with other TnT cars inbetween the class sessions, but I would bet you'll get more track time in the Intermediate or Advanced classes than the TnT because the class sessions work out to be about 30 to 40 minutes, while the TnT sessions are 20.

Another big reason for the school, is that we have lots of people w/o a lot of track experience in SECCS, and we want to try and get these people up and running. Once you've done the beginner class at Reno-Fernely, then you're eligible to run the Test-n-Tune days whenever you like, so we want to get as many people eligible as possible for future Test-n-Tunes. Plus there's always the argument that there's *always* something to learn from an instructor, even if you're an instructor yourself.
Old 2004-02-20, 07:46 PM   #34
bemanii
EJ18

Count me in for 1 day
bemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 11:52 AM   #35
Egan
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:

The problem with an HPDE w/o instruction is that Reno-Fernley requires some sort of license or authorization from the owner to get out on course. Basically you need to have track experience, and be able to prove it, before they'll let you out there. I'd like to set up non-instructional sessions too, however I'm not sure how that will work, I'll contact the school and/or the track to find out more. There is an issue of insurance. SECCS does not have it's own coverage, so we need to be under somone else's umbrella. Most HPDE's are in association with a more formal club, such as NASA or SCCA. We're attempting to do this under the umbrella of the Next Level Driving School, so we simply may not be able to setup non-instructional laps. Of course, if you have track experience, you should be able to run Tes-n-Tune whick would put you on course with other TnT cars inbetween the class sessions, but I would bet you'll get more track time in the Intermediate or Advanced classes than the TnT because the class sessions work out to be about 30 to 40 minutes, while the TnT sessions are 20.

Another big reason for the school, is that we have lots of people w/o a lot of track experience in SECCS, and we want to try and get these people up and running. Once you've done the beginner class at Reno-Fernely, then you're eligible to run the Test-n-Tune days whenever you like, so we want to get as many people eligible as possible for future Test-n-Tunes. Plus there's always the argument that there's *always* something to learn from an instructor, even if you're an instructor yourself.
Scott, that's fine. I believe in instruction as well and I surely don't know everything (despite what I tell my fiancee).

I just did not want to be stuck in a beginner class if that was all they are going to offer. If they are offering intermediate classes as well, then I'll definitely attend.
Old 2004-02-22, 01:36 AM   #36
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:

Scott, that's fine. I believe in instruction as well and I surely don't know everything (despite what I tell my fiancee).

I just did not want to be stuck in a beginner class if that was all they are going to offer. If they are offering intermediate classes as well, then I'll definitely attend.
There should be beginner/intermediate/advanced classes at the prices listed above in the email I posted. Of course nothing's set in stone yet, but we're doing what we can to get enough people interested to pull the 10% discount, and hopefully a track to ourselves, since that will increase track time for everyone in the classes.
Old 2004-02-22, 01:54 AM   #37
Egan
EJ18

You guys got home pretty quick!
Old 2004-02-22, 02:19 AM   #38
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
You guys got home pretty quick!
Zoom Zoom's not just for Mazdas.
Old 2004-02-23, 09:13 AM   #39
Lowball
n00b

I'm down with a one or two day event.

Lowball
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 12:11 PM   #40
Theo
EJ22

I would be up for a day or two!

theo
Old 2004-03-24, 10:14 PM   #41
dirtyWRX
EJ18

The more days the better! Well, maybe just 2.
dirtyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 11:22 PM   #42
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Event planning has kinda been on the back burner with the I-Club track day, and my extensive overtime at work lately. Now that Buttonwillow is over, I think we'll be able to get things rolling again with Reno-Fernely.

Chances are the event will be a Saturday only, however, I'll bet the track will be available for test-n-tune on Sunday too.
Old 2004-04-13, 09:44 AM   #43
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Okay, some more info!

I've been emailing back and forth with the school trying to hammer out a date that will work for both our schedules.

Here's the list of dates they have available that don't conflict with one of our already scheduled events:

Sat, July 24 - Potentially conflicts w/ Summer SCCA Test-n-Tune
Sun, July 25
Sat, July 31 - Potentially conflicts with Lovelock Solo1 Trials
Sun, Aug. 1 - Potentially conflicts with Lovelock Solo1 Trials
Sun, Aug. 8
Sat, Aug 28
Sun, Aug 29

How does everyone feel about these dates? I'm thinking this may need to be a late August event. I wonder how friggen hot it will be out at Fernley!

Another option would be to make this a weekday event, since it will cost a little less, and we'll have plenty more options as far as scheduling. I'd really like a Saturday event so Sac and Bay Area people can come up Friday night and not have to take a day off work.

Our new goal is to get 30 people for the event, so we can take over the track for ourselves. I think I may be able to get several people from here at work that have some crazy fast cars, plus all the people that have already expressed interest, I think 30 is possible!
Old 2004-04-13, 12:17 PM   #44
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

I am interested! Any date is fine by me except July the 24th ... I would kind of like to go to the autocross school that day since I am so n00btastic
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 11:19 AM   #45
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I like the timing of the July 31/Aug 1 dates.
Old 2004-04-15, 12:09 PM   #46
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I like the timing of the July 31/Aug 1 dates.
A agree that's a good weekend, however, if SCCA gets Lovelock cleared as a Solo1 Trials site, then I'm going to want to do that for sure. Solo1 Trials = AutoX++. Not quite a Solo1 event, but there should be some good high-speed racing going on!
Old 2004-04-15, 06:13 PM   #47
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I thought you need a full race car to go to solo 1? Cage, fire suppression, the whole bit.
Old 2004-04-16, 02:27 PM   #48
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I thought you need a full race car to go to solo 1? Cage, fire suppression, the whole bit.
Yep.... this is a Solo 1 Trials event. It's like halfway between Solo1 and Solo2... uses most the saftey regulations of a Solo2 event (only major difference is that open top cars are required to have a roll bar), but on a faster course. However your site has to be approved by the SCCA for use in a Solo1 Trials event, and that's what we're waiting on for the Lovelock Airport.
Old 2004-04-27, 09:24 PM   #49
pdqwrx
n00b

When you set a date I would love to come up from Stockton. Would this be a Subaru only event? I have several track buddies with 240sx's that would love to come.

Later
PDQWRX
pdqwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 07:46 AM   #50
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqwrx
When you set a date I would love to come up from Stockton. Would this be a Subaru only event? I have several track buddies with 240sx's that would love to come.

Later
PDQWRX
Not Subaru only, all are welcome!

We can set a date as soon as I get some more feedback. It's looking like I'm just going to have to pick one myself and say, too bad if you can't make it, ya'll had your chance!