Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2004-02-19, 12:41 PM   #26
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
There was a thread on NASIOC where two ContiExtreme owners were both bitching about how they slid into a curb. Not exactly a raving review IMO.
Did this happen in Reno, and was a snow donkey involved and possibly an SECCS member?
Old 2004-02-19, 04:15 PM   #27
JoelK
EJ22

Quote:
Yeah, I found it to be a very "Austin" way of doing things.
That's a good thing, right?

It is indeed disappointing that Tire Rack didn't use a baseline tire in their tests before the middle of last year. Oh well. Even still, the bigger difference from baseline for summer tires was in the wet, not the dry.

Well, like anyone, I want to spend as little as possible, and if $65/tire gets me basically as good, I'll take it. I figure once it gets above $130/tire, I'm out of the running unless it has significantly longer treadlife.

The Michelin Pro Sport PS2 Max is what I'd go with at the moment. Tire rack has a sale on them for the 225/50/16 size for $131/tire, and I'd probably buy them right now if I were 100% sure I'd go with the stock wheels for my second set. It seems they generally run about $200/tire, and there are people on the user review section that still think it is worth that.

Other than that tire, I'm not real sure. I've been considering your suggestions, though it looks like the Sumitomo SRIXON4 absolutely sucked in the wet. (presumably the HTR+ wouldn't since it is different, but I dunno)

I've always heard people say that tires are the most important handling "mod," and summer tires are regularly pushed to those who want really sweet handling in non-snow months. I'm still in the info-gathering and fact-finding stages. Perhaps I'm to the point where the only way to find out for sure is experience.
JoelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 04:36 PM   #28
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelK
Quote:
Yeah, I found it to be a very "Austin" way of doing things.
That's a good thing, right?
Well, I think it's a good thing.
Old 2004-02-19, 05:16 PM   #29
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

My prices were slightly wrong earlier... My browser was confused when I went backwards and forwarrds through th pages.

UHPS start at $66 a piece.
UHPAS at $73
and MPS at $104 for 225s

The Kumho MX for $104 is a damn good deal. It dominated in the wet over some other pretty high priced MPS tires, and it held it's own in the dry. And actually if you use the yoko AVS sport as a go between, which the MX outperformed, you will see that the AVS beat a couple other higher priced max performers as well.
Old 2004-02-19, 05:21 PM   #30
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
My prices were slightly wrong earlier... My browser was confused when I went backwards and forwarrds through th pages.

UHPS start at $66 a piece.
UHPAS at $73
and MPS at $104 for 225s

The Kumho MX for $104 is a damn good deal. It dominated in the wet over some other pretty high priced MPS tires, and it held it's own in the dry. And actually if you use the yoko AVS sport as a go between, which the MX outperformed, you will see that the AVS beat a couple other higher priced max performers as well.
Kuhmo MX's are real nice tires. Consider them the "budget S0-3's". A few SECCS members have 'em, I think Art does, as well as Kostamojen (Steve) from Sac.