Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-04-09, 09:23 AM   #26
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

When I read the title, I was thinking that she just needs to get over it. And I really don't blame the kids. It's high school, that's what happens in high school. But the fact that the administrators took the other kids' sides, that's rediculous. I think that they should have been fired and no lawsuit, but this is America, here you can sue McDonalds because you got fat or spilled coffee on yourself...
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 09:37 AM   #27
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

To be fair, that lawsuit with the fat bitch and the coffee, that coffee was unconsumably hot. The payout was more than she needed for medical bills tho, which is where I start to get mad. Let's punish the people that do shit wrong and not reward the victims.
Old 2009-04-09, 09:38 AM   #28
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobwoot View Post
When I read the title, I was thinking that she just needs to get over it. And I really don't blame the kids. It's high school, that's what happens in high school. But the fact that the administrators took the other kids' sides, that's rediculous. I think that they should have been fired and no lawsuit, but this is America, here you can sue McDonalds because you got fat or spilled coffee on yourself...
You don't blame the kids? For pushing a girl around, spitting on her and telling her they'd kill her? Really? You've got some wires loose, dude.

And let's not get started on the McD's coffee discussion, Sperry will chime in with a 17 page legal brief on the topic.
Old 2009-04-09, 09:46 AM   #29
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I think the parents of the children should be held to blame as well. If your kid spits on someone and tells them they are going to kill them, you are a complete failure as a parent.
Old 2009-04-09, 11:23 AM   #30
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey View Post
And let's not get started on the McD's coffee discussion, Sperry will chime in with a 17 page legal brief on the topic.
Not to mention sperry is entitled to like $15mil in psychological distress from Taco Bell.
Old 2009-04-09, 11:30 AM   #31
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Milton Waddams: "Excuse me? Excuse me, senor?"
"May I speak to you please?"
"I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a pina colada, and I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass..."

Mexican Waiter: "Lo siento mucho, senor."

Mexican Waiter [Under his breath]: "Pinche gringo."

Milton Waddams: [As the waiter walks away] "And yes, I won't be leaving a tip, 'cause I could... I could shut this place down."
"Sir? I'll take my traveler's checks to a competing resort."
"I could write a letter to your nation's board of tourism and I could have this place condemned."
"I could put... I could put... strychnine in the guacamole."
"There was salt on the glass, BIG grains of salt!"
Old 2009-04-10, 12:07 AM   #32
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

My school took a concert ticket away from me because someone told the administration i was going to be stabbed at the concert...where is my 350k. Like others have said, bullying is a part of high school. We have all experienced it either directed towards someone or yourself.

IMO this whole thing is ridiculous. It was wrong for the kids to say that they were going to kill her, but come on, grow up. We live in an abrasive society. Just watch half the shows on television.

Im not trying to sound racist but our country was brutally attacked by muslims and yes, I will admit I have found myself uncomfortable in situations are muslims. I know they are not all bad but it is a stereotype. They happen every day. For example black people steal...yes cory that means you steal right? Wrong, but someone who doesn't know him could become uncomfortable around him and lash out irrationally at him. Sorry to use you as an example man just the first thing that cam to mind.

I say deal with it. My nickname all the way through high school from when I was in elementary school was short shit...did I go complain about it no I dealt with it. Stand up for yourself, don't make an already stressed budget even more taxed. She herself said she was cheated out of an education. How many students are going to receive a sub-par education whether it be overcrowded classrooms due to teacher layoffs or inadequate text book and learning supplys because of the 400k WCSD has to shell out to pay this girl for a complete BS lawsuit?
Old 2009-04-10, 07:18 AM   #33
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkidid View Post
Im not trying to sound racist but our country was brutally attacked by muslims and yes, I will admit I have found myself uncomfortable in situations are muslims. I know they are not all bad but it is a stereotype. They happen every day. For example black people steal...yes cory that means you steal right? Wrong, but someone who doesn't know him could become uncomfortable around him and lash out irrationally at him. Sorry to use you as an example man your just the only black guy I know.
Old 2009-04-10, 07:41 AM   #34
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Quote:
You don't blame the kids? For pushing a girl around, spitting on her and telling her they'd kill her? Really? You've got some wires loose, dude.

I'm not saying I don't blame them, I'm just saying it's not an isolated incident. I was always picked on in middle school, but I developed a sense of humor, made some friends, and got over it. Yes, they did take it too far, but that's where the administration is supposed to get involved.
Old 2009-04-10, 09:47 AM   #35
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
IMO this whole thing is ridiculous. It was wrong for the kids to say that they were going to kill her, but come on, grow up. We live in an abrasive society. Just watch half the shows on television.

Im not trying to sound racist but our country was brutally attacked by muslims and yes, I will admit I have found myself uncomfortable in situations are muslims. I know they are not all bad but it is a stereotype. They happen every day. For example black people steal...yes cory that means you steal right? Wrong, but someone who doesn't know him could become uncomfortable around him and lash out irrationally at him. Sorry to use you as an example man just the first thing that cam to mind.
What the fuck? You sound like the winners in the RGJ comments.

You may "not be trying to sound racist", but you do. Anyone who gets nervous because they're in a room with someone that happens to have brown skin and wears a taqiyah, or who has black skin for that matter, is an ignorant prick.
Old 2009-04-10, 09:57 AM   #36
DaveWRX
EJ22

Car: 03 WRB WRX

I went to a school where about half was either Asian or middle eastern. In fact some of my very good friends were middle eastern. None of them were ever picked on because most kids grew up with the diversity. Right now my cousin goes to North Valley High and he has let me know that there are not many Asians or middle eastern ppl. So the chances they get picked on are greater because kids around here arn't used to seeing them.

Also I agree that it is a parents fault if ur kid is out saying he is going to kill a minority or even a person in general. That's straight redneck right there. Teach ur kids that all ppl are equal no matter what race skin color sex etc. The list goes on. But a right upbringing can solve most of these problems
DaveWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 10:47 AM   #37
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWRX View Post
I went to a school where about half was either Asian or middle eastern. In fact some of my very good friends were middle eastern. None of them were ever picked on because most kids grew up with the diversity. Right now my cousin goes to North Valley High and he has let me know that there are not many Asians or middle eastern ppl. So the chances they get picked on are greater because kids around here arn't used to seeing them.

Also I agree that it is a parents fault if ur kid is out saying he is going to kill a minority or even a person in general. That's straight redneck right there. Teach ur kids that all ppl are equal no matter what race skin color sex etc. The list goes on. But a right upbringing can solve most of these problems
Dave hit the nail on the head. It's almost entirely about how and where you were raised. If you're raised by or around a bunch of redneck neanderthals that have an ignorance fueled hatred of people based on stereotypes... you tend to be a redneck neanderthal yourself... and you tend to have children that also become redneck neanderthals.

And to wrxkidid's point, it is in fact natural to be uncomfortable around people you have been conditioned to be uncomfortable around. But what separates the true neanderthal from a useful member of society, it the ability to intentionally look past the stereotypes you may have been raised with and stop judging people on things that are out of their control, like the color of their skin. No matter how often a stereotype may ring true, it's never 100% right, and therefore to judge someone based on their superficial attributes is wrong and unfair.
Old 2009-04-10, 02:20 PM   #38
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

I get nervous around Bob because I've been conditioned to fear short anarchists.
Old 2009-04-10, 07:36 PM   #39
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Wait, Cory is black? I could of swore he's Italian.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 11:55 PM   #40
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.
Thumbs down

Quote:
What the fuck? You sound like the winners in the RGJ comments.

You may "not be trying to sound racist", but you do. Anyone who gets nervous because they're in a room with someone that happens to have brown skin and wears a taqiyah, or who has black skin for that matter, is an ignorant prick.
Im joining in a discussion i said nothing wrong and you lash out like that. Real mature... I didnt say it always happens but can you honestly say that you have never been uncomfortable in a situation around other races? If you can then more power to you.

And i know im a winner my mom told me so.
Old 2009-04-13, 09:41 AM   #41
Dewey
EJ251

Car: 98 RSTi Unicorn!
Class: Street Modified

Quote:
You are referring to the dream that you had.. I don't think that was real.
Old 2009-04-13, 09:51 AM   #42
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
Im joining in a discussion i said nothing wrong and you lash out like that. Real mature... I didnt say it always happens but can you honestly say that you have never been uncomfortable in a situation around other races? If you can then more power to you.

Yes, I can honestly say that. I have been in situations where I was uncomfortable around people, but it didn't have anything to do with the color of their skin. If I see a pack of 5 scruffy looking white dudes with shaved heads, baggy clothes, and gang tats coming towards me on the street in a shady part of town, that's going to set off some alarm bells for me. If I pass 5 clean-cut black guys in business suits, I wouldn't think anything of it.

Skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the threat someone poses to you. I don't even believe in the idea of "race", honestly. It's a false concept.
Old 2009-04-13, 09:57 AM   #43
van
SECCS Brewmeister

Quote:

Skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the threat someone poses to you. I don't even believe in the idea of "race", honestly. It's a false concept.
Agreed
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 10:11 AM   #44
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I'm with Austin on this one.

I admit to being a bit surprised the first time I visited the South by the significantly different ratio of ethnic diversity from what I was used to having lived my whole life on the West coast, but it was not fear. Fear only crept in when I made a wrong turn in my rental car at night and ended up somewhere not so good and some guy came up to the car at a stop sign asking what I "needed".

I knew I was in a bad place before I saw anybody of any color and a clean shaven white guy in jeans and a T-shirt in the same neighborhood doing the same thing would have freaked me out just as much.
Old 2009-04-13, 10:30 AM   #45
wildfirefli
EJ22

Last edited by wildfirefli; 2009-04-13 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I have grown tired.
wildfirefli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 12:44 AM   #46
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Quote:
Yes, I can honestly say that. I have been in situations where I was uncomfortable around people, but it didn't have anything to do with the color of their skin. If I see a pack of 5 scruffy looking white dudes with shaved heads, baggy clothes, and gang tats coming towards me on the street in a shady part of town, that's going to set off some alarm bells for me. If I pass 5 clean-cut black guys in business suits, I wouldn't think anything of it.

While I do totally agree with you, I will admit I used to be really uncomfortable around black people. My parents raised me not to be racist, I never conciously judged someone based on the color of their skin, it's just that growing up in Carson, I never saw any black people. In my high school, there were 2800 kids, and only 6 were black. I played football with a couple of them, and I'd talk to them and didn't hold anything against them, but it was just unusual to me. One of the guys was actually probably the funniest guy I've ever met, but I couldn't really talk to him. The good news is, I've gotten past it, and it never really impaired my thinking, but the first couple black people I met, I was really uncomfortable around. One was a guy my mom worked with, who I really like now, and another is a guy I met in college, who is still a friend of mine, and we talk every now and then, so please don't think I'm racist, but I see where he's coming from.

Last edited by bigrobwoot; 2009-04-15 at 12:47 AM.