Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2005-04-04, 01:24 PM   #26
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libila
Well thank you!

Yes, I did learn alot over the weekend. I had no idea my car could move that fast either.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Fast? You were only in second, maybe third gear... Yoy probably drive faster every day on the freeway. What you learned is handling, and car control. I hope these will become your good friends over time.

You will probably hear me mumble (cuz I'm old) at he meets, autocross about us only teching people the rules, not how to drive in this country. You are learning to drive. It's a long learning process. You will learn a ton over the next couple months, but then things will come a little slower.

I've been doing this for 6 years, 10,000 or so track miles, 500 or so autocross runs, and am still learning.

Welcome to the club... Only cost for membership is gas, and rubber. All other go fast goodies are optional.
Old 2005-04-04, 01:30 PM   #27
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNick112
It might be a close race this year between Heidi and Deede.
How'd did Heidi do on sunday afternoon?
I can't wait till the actual points events to see how I compare against everyone......I know I'll be at the bottom, but it's still so much fun.
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-04, 01:30 PM   #28
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti deede
I can't wait till the actual points events to see how I compare against everyone......I know I'll be at the bottom, but it's still so much fun.
You should be faster then me, at least for a few events
Old 2005-04-04, 02:15 PM   #29
SlickNick112
EJ251

Car: '06 Impreza WRX STi
Class: Out of class!

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

Quote:
Quote:
She did pretty well, I thought. I know that she wasn't too happy with her performance, but thats just because she is so damn competitive. I think she had a fast time of 50.4?? She wants to beat me so bad........ In all honesty, I think I hit the most cones this weekend, well at least on Saturday thats for sure.

My fast time was a 48.995 clean. What class will you be racing in? We'll be in STS this year.
Old 2005-04-04, 03:23 PM   #30
sti deede
EJ205

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She did pretty well, I thought. I know that she wasn't too happy with her performance, but thats just because she is so damn competitive. I think she had a fast time of 50.4?? She wants to beat me so bad........ In all honesty, I think I hit the most cones this weekend, well at least on Saturday thats for sure.

My fast time was a 48.995 clean. What class will you be racing in? We'll be in STS this year.
That's great. I love hitting cones, it makes me laugh so hard. MikeK and I were busting our guts when I was on the rectangle exercise on sunday. I completely spun out, it was soooo much fun.
I'm running TESPL. Is Hiedi running in the ladies points?
Old 2005-04-04, 09:40 PM   #31
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Quote:
Well thank you!

Yes, I did learn alot over the weekend. I had no idea my car could move that fast either.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Fast? You were only in second, maybe third gear... Yoy probably drive faster every day on the freeway. What you learned is handling, and car control. I hope these will become your good friends over time.

You will probably hear me mumble (cuz I'm old) at he meets, autocross about us only teching people the rules, not how to drive in this country. You are learning to drive. It's a long learning process. You will learn a ton over the next couple months, but then things will come a little slower.

I've been doing this for 6 years, 10,000 or so track miles, 500 or so autocross runs, and am still learning.

Welcome to the club... Only cost for membership is gas, and rubber. All other go fast goodies are optional.
I guess I should have worded that better. I didn't think my car would be able to move that quickly through the course. I was also extremely pleased at the lack of understeer and oversteer. My car was very neutral and predictable.

I'm glad that everyone had a good time. I really need to be more social at these type of things. I don't think I've formerly introduced myself to anyone. I think the only people that actually know my name are JC and Tyson. I'll change that next time.

I hope to see everyone on the 23rd and 24th. Take care.

-Tim
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-04, 10:19 PM   #32
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

You went for one run with me on Sunday I think. So at least one of us knows you now.
Old 2005-04-05, 07:30 AM   #33
SlickNick112
EJ251

Yes, Heidi will be running in STSL. She is sooooo excited. It makes me laugh. We saw you in the Rectangle on Sunday. That was cool. Last year there were a couple time when I rode with Heidi that she spun out. At Hawthorne last year, she spun out twice in one run. CRAZY KIDS!
Old 2005-04-05, 07:34 AM   #34
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
I'm glad that everyone had a good time. I really need to be more social at these type of things. I don't think I've formerly introduced myself to anyone. I think the only people that actually know my name are JC and Tyson. I'll change that next time.
Yes, please come introduce yourself next time. We won't bite - much.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-05, 07:41 AM   #35
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
I love hitting cones, it makes me laugh so hard.
Well, if you're going to spin out - there's the place to do it. And hopefully you'll soon learn where the edge is in your car, and be able to stay on it vs. going over it. (When you mow down a course too many times you'll start to get visited by grumpy course workers & senior drivers who will attempt to 're-teach' you how to drive. )

The un-fun part is getting the cone marks off. I and others have had marks that never went away.
Old 2005-04-05, 11:00 AM   #36
sti deede
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
The un-fun part is getting the cone marks off. I and others have had marks that never went away.
Boy, that is definately the truth. I got white marks on the passenger side of my car from the exit/entry cones. That is going to be a pain to remove.
Old 2005-04-05, 12:45 PM   #37
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Quote:
Boy, that is definately the truth. I got white marks on the passenger side of my car from the exit/entry cones. That is going to be a pain to remove.
WD-40 and/or BrakeKleen can sometimes work wonders getting foreign object shmag off paint.
Old 2005-04-05, 01:50 PM   #38
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
Quote:
WD-40 and/or BrakeKleen can sometimes work wonders getting foreign object shmag off paint.
Um, I like to avoid getting brake cleaner on the paint.
Old 2005-04-05, 02:12 PM   #39
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Dude, BrakeKleen is the 8th wonder of the world. That shit gets almost anything off of almost any surface, and I was surprised to see that it doesn't hurt the paint if you just use a light spray and some scrubbing. We've used it to get track crap off the racecar, I've used it to get Toxic Evil Dust off the wheels on my car, and to get various road tar crap off the paint on my car too. Don't knock it till you try it...
Old 2005-04-05, 02:17 PM   #40
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
Dude, BrakeKleen is the 8th wonder of the world. That shit gets almost anything off of almost any surface, and I was surprised to see that it doesn't hurt the paint if you just use a light spray and some scrubbing. We've used it to get track crap off the racecar, I've used it to get Toxic Evil Dust off the wheels on my car, and to get various road tar crap off the paint on my car too. Don't knock it till you try it...
One time I sneezed on my car, and the paint came off. I'm pretty sure BrakeKleen and "some scrubbing" would wear right through the clearcoat, paint, primer, and the sheetmetal itself!

okay back to reality... actually, I've used WD-40 to get cone marks off before... it works pretty well. I've never tried brake cleaner though... some brands will take the paint right off. :shock:
Old 2005-04-05, 02:22 PM   #41
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
One time I sneezed on my car, and the paint came off. I'm pretty sure BrakeKleen and "some scrubbing" would wear right through the clearcoat, paint, primer, and the sheetmetal itself!
Hehe... damn cheap Subaru paint.
Old 2005-04-05, 02:23 PM   #42
dknv
EJ207

Could BrakeKleen also be used to clean the MAF sensors if oil from an air filter got on it? (Or is that some other brake stuff I must be thinking of?)
Old 2005-04-05, 02:25 PM   #43
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

My MAF sensor is a small wire element, so I just cleaned it with a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol (carefully).
Old 2005-04-05, 02:54 PM   #44
SlickNick112
EJ251

becareful of touching that little wire/element. I was told to use an air can, you know the type you would use to clean your computer, keyboard, and cameras. You can get a can of that air from target for like $4.

I was looking at replacement MAF sensors and they're not cheap. Over $300. Better to not use the oil on the air filters. Just clean the air filters more often.

I just finished with that whole scenario on friday, April 1st for those who thought it was a joke. Thanks for the help everyone!!
Old 2005-04-05, 03:17 PM   #45
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
becareful of touching that little wire/element. I was told to use an air can, you know the type you would use to clean your computer, keyboard, and cameras. You can get a can of that air from target for like $4.

I was looking at replacement MAF sensors and they're not cheap. Over $300. Better to not use the oil on the air filters. Just clean the air filters more often.

I just finished with that whole scenario on friday, April 1st for those who thought it was a joke. Thanks for the help everyone!!
Hold on there! The oil in a filter is *essential*!!! Too much is bad of course, but none means the filter won't actually filter the air! It's the oil that makes the cotton gauze sticky enough to collect the dust and particulates in the air. W/o the oil, the filter only filters out things like leaves and rocks, and the dust goes right through it and into your motor!
Old 2005-04-05, 03:52 PM   #46
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Quote:
Windex of all things is known to do wonders on most cone gunk!