Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2004-10-07, 12:06 PM   #26
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Catch more flys with Honey than vinegar...

Auto appraisal is a lot like figure skating, or gymnastics judjing...

When I took the Stealth in they wanted me to pay depreciated value which was way more than what I paid, so I went out to the appraiser dudes...

Talked nice while he looked at the car, told him what I paid for it, and general BS... He looked it up in KBB. Somebody else came in looking for a flashlight, that worked... made a joke about bringing them batteries next time I was in since I had a Costco brick of them at home...

He said "blue book was blah..., what did I pay for it again?" I answered sevencough, I mean five thousand...

"5K it is...", and off I went back inside... WITH A BIG OLD SMILE...

Smile, be polite, funny, or in Scott's case, show some leg, stick your landings, and you get a better appraisal...

I know it shouldn't be that way, but it is...

Oh, and the trick withthe DMV is to go in, get your number, and then go get lunch and bring it back and eat while you are waiting... Tues-Thurs 10-11am is usually slowest
Old 2004-10-07, 01:24 PM   #27
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

when I took my used car to the DMV I brought my bill of sell showing I only paid 2200 for the old car and that it wasnt worth any more or else the seller would have sold it for that :?
Old 2004-10-08, 07:15 AM   #28
THAWA
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS
This sounds like the discussions between my wife & I every time we go near the DMV, less the expletives.

You have to drive it through the dirt, then put rusty steelies on it w/o hubcaps, smack the windshield with a big rock, and swap a couple body panels from PickNPull to get the appraisal down to $2100. Then you go get a brand new windshield and keep the panels as spares with the money you saved....
I dunno about htat, svx windshields aren't common. And finding one in a yard, well i've never seen one, but you've got the right idea.

That sucks sperry, though he could've appraised it for 5000-6000. I totally agree though you can't judge a car just by how it looks.
Old 2004-10-08, 08:43 AM   #29
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS
This sounds like the discussions between my wife & I every time we go near the DMV, less the expletives.

You have to drive it through the dirt, then put rusty steelies on it w/o hubcaps, smack the windshield with a big rock, and swap a couple body panels from PickNPull to get the appraisal down to $2100. Then you go get a brand new windshield and keep the panels as spares with the money you saved....
I dunno about htat, svx windshields aren't common. And finding one in a yard, well i've never seen one, but you've got the right idea.

That sucks sperry, though he could've appraised it for 5000-6000. I totally agree though you can't judge a car just by how it looks.
I think the price is primarily determined by the DMV's equivalent of a Blue Book, with a mileage modifier. Then, if the car looks beat to hell, it's the inspector's discression to lower it further. What's shady, is that the DMV doesn't seem to have their base values published. I've heard that it's the MSRP - 15% for the 1st year, and -5% for each additional year, but that's just hearsay. Also, I don't know how much they take off for mileage.

The DMV needs to publish all that info, have it available at the inspection station, and they should post that things like repair quotes and estimates are usful in getting the vehicle appraised correctly. Not having that information public basically makes the DMV look like they're intentionally bumping the appraisal value of cars in order to collect additional taxes... which is pretty much what I'm sure they're doing.
Old 2004-10-08, 09:10 AM   #30
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

This is all directly from DMV's website:

Quote:
How are vehicle sales taxes calculated?

The Nevada Sales and Use tax is actually several separate taxes which fund state and local government, schools and special purposes. See the Nevada Department of Taxation Tax Map for rates and other details. Taxes on vehicle sales vary by the type of sale and the tax rate of the county in which the vehicle is based.

Nevada Dealer Sales - Taxes are paid to the dealer based on the actual purchase price.

Out-of-State Dealer Sales - DMV will verify whatever taxes were paid and charge any difference between that amount and what would have been due in Nevada.

Private Party Sales - Taxes are paid to DMV based either on the depreciated Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or a vehicle appraisal (NRS 374.112). Appraisals can be completed at the VIN Inspection Station at larger DMV offices.

If the MSRP is used, the original retail price is depreciated 15% after the first year and 5% per year thereafter. The minimum valuation for sales tax purposes is 10% of MSRP or $100, whichever is greater. The amount of depreciation must be rounded to the nearest whole multiple of $20.

Private party (or "occasional") vehicle sales are exempt from the 2% state sales tax, but are subject to all other relief, support and special taxes. See the Nevada Department of Taxation for the current rate in your county and subtract 2%.

Sample Sales Tax Calculation (Private Party Vehicle Sale)

Vehicle 2 years old with an original Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price of $12,500.

Registered in Clark County.

$12,500.00
x .80

Vehicle MSRP depreciated 20% after two years
$10,000.00
x .055

Clark County tax rate of 7.5% minus 2%

$550 Sales Tax

Reference:
Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 374 Sections 112 and 113
Old 2004-10-08, 09:47 AM   #31
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Thanks Art.

Unfortunately, they don't tell you where the appraised value comes from. That whole 15% + 5% for each year deal is crap. A new car depreciated 20% the instant you drive it off the lot! And a flat rate depreciation is totally un-realistic.... hence the reason for the appraisal inspections.

For example: the SVX

MSPR in 1994: $34,000
- (15 + (5 * 9))%
= $13,600

I'm pretty sure my SVX isn't worth $13,600!! So I got it appraised... and even then they appraised it for twice what the market value of the car is! Where's the formula that the DMV used to get that $4100 value?

Anyway... enough ranting I guess. It's registered and paid for now... no use in getting my panties all wadded up.
Old 2004-10-08, 09:51 AM   #32
zpeed
EJ251

Car: 06 S2000
Class: RNP & PDX

My Brother got lucky paid said tax on his STI as WRX price.
zpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 11:24 AM   #33
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Bump.

God, the DMV in Reno sucks. I got to experience the suckiness firsthand today.
Old 2004-11-12, 11:25 AM   #34
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Bump.

God, the DMV in Reno sucks. I got to experience the suckiness firsthand today.
What was your trip to the DMV for?
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 11:26 AM   #35
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I (almost) got one of them licenses to drive.
Old 2004-11-12, 11:30 AM   #36
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

Quote:
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 11:36 AM   #37
ArthurS
EJ207

Quote:
What went wrong?
Old 2004-11-12, 11:42 AM   #38
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Didn't know I needed other forms of ID, like SSN card and passport/birth certificate.

It really wasn't a bad experience, its just didn't realize how freaking packed that place can be. Its huge, and it was still crammed with people.
Old 2004-11-12, 11:54 AM   #39
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Didn't know I needed other forms of ID, like SSN card and passport/birth certificate.

It really wasn't a bad experience, its just didn't realize how freaking packed that place can be. Its huge, and it was still crammed with people.
It's 'cause there's really only one office for the whole of Reno. True there are the little mini offices, but they can't really help you with anything other than license renewals.
Old 2004-11-12, 12:10 PM   #40
ArthurS
EJ207

I went to the mini-office at the old town mall to get a DL printout....the waiting line was 40 min. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 2004-11-12, 04:48 PM   #41
Theo
EJ22

For what it's worth I sold my old car to my step dad. He refused to pay sales tax on it to the DMV and we did the 'Gift form' that was noterized. No tax.

I also disagreeded with an appraisal they did on an old VW bug. They had it valued at $3000 and it did not have a motor. I went to a car lot and got an appraisal done for something like $900. DMV accepted that price.

As far as I know the real scam is re-taxing cars in Nevada that are brought into the state from another state. This can add up big time on newer cars.

Theo
Old 2004-11-12, 05:36 PM   #42
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
I went to the mini-office at the old town mall to get a DL printout....the waiting line was 40 min. :shock: :shock: :shock:
You can download this off the web site for $7.
Old 2004-11-12, 08:27 PM   #43
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
For what it's worth I sold my old car to my step dad. He refused to pay sales tax on it to the DMV and we did the 'Gift form' that was noterized. No tax.

I also disagreeded with an appraisal they did on an old VW bug. They had it valued at $3000 and it did not have a motor. I went to a car lot and got an appraisal done for something like $900. DMV accepted that price.

As far as I know the real scam is re-taxing cars in Nevada that are brought into the state from another state. This can add up big time on newer cars.

Theo
I think I'm going to buy my next car in CA and just pay the tax there. NV will only collect the difference (if any) over that amount.
Old 2004-11-12, 08:28 PM   #44
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:

I plan to use my discharge certificate for secondary ID, since they won't accept CA licenses as ID. Whatever. Gotta do it soon, too...