Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-02-07, 09:10 PM   #26
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv View Post
Wow Nick (but, it's really spelled 'Nik'?), when do you have time to do this??

Thanks for sharing.
What else are you going to do when you're snowed in 6 months out of the year?
Old 2008-02-07, 09:58 PM   #27
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
What else are you going to do when you're snowed in 6 months out of the year?
There you go. A keg in the house and recording software!
Old 2008-02-08, 07:33 AM   #28
Kavid
EJ22

Car: 09 Impreza 2.5i Sedan No Turbo

I Want My WRX Back!

I can't wait for the new Atmosphere album and the Sad Clown Bad Spring to complete my series, I am also waiting to hear what MURS' main stream album will sound like now that he just signed with a major label. All new Rhymesayers and Def Jux releases. Oh yeah, and my own album and an album of just beats will be done this year.
Old 2008-02-09, 04:51 PM   #29
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

For the Del & Atmosphere fans, try out Busdriver's latest (even though it released in 07) Roadkill Overcoat.

Busdriver FTW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busdriver
Old 2008-02-09, 11:29 PM   #30
Jesubi11
EJ22

Car: 04 wrx wagon

Get busy livin' or get busy dyn'

Murs going mainstream is a joke. He is one of the biggest underground names out there and he sells out. tisc tisc...

I didn't know there was another deltron coming out, that will be great.

The last two LPs from slug were nothing short of great, I'm looking forward to the next two.

I'm also hating that J5 broke up because they were definetly my all time fav.

Last edited by Jesubi11; 2008-02-09 at 11:32 PM.
Jesubi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 10:43 AM   #31
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold (4/22/0
Atmosphere - Sad Clown Bad Spring 12 (EP) should be out sometime in the spring too.
Atmosphere - Strictly Leakage (1/8/0 Free Internet Album
Everyone's favorite emo rap duo is back!
The wife will be happy about more from them.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 10:52 AM   #32
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunikos View Post
The wife will be happy about more from them.
Ugh... who is this n00b?
Old 2008-03-15, 08:56 AM   #33
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Subtle - ExitingARM supposedly came out on Friday. Their last album still gets major play in my car so I'm hoping to find a copy soon. They are self-described as genreless, which really means indie-rock fused with old-school soul/r&b and modern atonal indie rap (thanks to anticon rapper doseone) gets lot of comparisons as the underground version of Gnarls Barkley that plays their own instruments.

Speaking of which, there should be a new Gnarls Barkley album out soon too.

Edit: owned by the difference between March and May. Album comes out on May 13.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2008-03-15 at 06:17 PM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 11:06 AM   #34
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I like the band MGMT right now.
Old 2008-03-17, 03:39 PM   #35
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesubi11 View Post
Murs going mainstream is a joke. He is one of the biggest underground names out there and he sells out. tisc tisc...

I didn't know there was another deltron coming out, that will be great.

The last two LPs from slug were nothing short of great, I'm looking forward to the next two.
I actually met Murs at the Living Legends show here in Reno on March 8th that night. Before he got mobbed with people after the show, I ended up getting a really rare Murs album signed by him and talked about my beats I'm making and general life with him for about 5 min. He reassured me he didn't sell out by signing to a major record label, he is actually signed by more than 4 record labels now including Def Jux, Rhymesayers for Felt, Legendary Music, a smaller label I can't remember, and now Warner Records! He signed to Warner to do another album with 9th Wonder (Who makes a lot of his beats) who is also signed to Warner Records. Just wanted to clear that up in hopes you will give his new one an honest chance! As for Slug, There has been some leaks of track listings, album art, and one of the new singles off of the new studio album in April, not to mention his new weekly episode on youtube/rhymesayers, I have links if you want this stuff. I also am up to 15 Slug/Atmoshere albums in my collection including most of the sad clown bad dub series and a few headshots series. I have an abundance of underground hip hop and hardcore/metal and a lot of music to sample from. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are missing or want and/or the leaked stuff.

Last edited by Kavid; 2008-03-17 at 03:44 PM.
Kavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 03:55 PM   #36
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

So you know if there is going to be another felt album? The first one was alright, but he second one is one of my favorite albums of all time.
Old 2008-03-17, 05:04 PM   #37
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

Busdriver playing friday night at the Crystal bay club. Possibly with Instant Messengers opening (not sure). IM are bunch of kids from Truckee and Reno who have some talent. Not my taste, but they're 19 and are likely going places. Real good DJ-ing.
Old 2008-03-18, 06:29 AM   #38
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
So you know if there is going to be another felt album? The first one was alright, but he second one is one of my favorite albums of all time.
I'm not sure, he did say he was working with Rhymesayers on some new stuff but didn't say what exactly when I spoke to him at the show. Felt was great music! I'm with you on this one, I would love to see a new one. And at the rate they are blowing up and both of them coming out with new albums right now, I think they would be stupid not to release a new one! He did say his new album MURS For President was going to drop early summer though.
Old 2008-03-18, 10:01 AM   #39
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

I didn't think you guys were into Felt.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:f9fixqy5ld0e

oh wait, you didn't mean the early 80's indie rock band?

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 03:24 PM   #40
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK View Post
I didn't think you guys were into Felt.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:f9fixqy5ld0e

oh wait, you didn't mean the early 80's indie rock band?
That's awesome, even though I was into many 80's rock bands, unfortunately they were not one of them. Go to http://www.rhymesayers.com/aDetail.php?aId=25&cT=Bio and there is the real new Felt. Slug and Murs Duo. I'll listen to just about anything once though. I just like good music that has a message, period, no matter the genre.
Old 2008-03-18, 04:01 PM   #41
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavid View Post
That's awesome, even though I was into many 80's rock bands, unfortunately they were not one of them. Go to http://www.rhymesayers.com/aDetail.php?aId=25&cT=Bio and there is the real new Felt. Slug and Murs Duo. I'll listen to just about anything once though. I just like good music that has a message, period, no matter the genre.
I just like good music that has no message, and no story. I don't want to have to pay attention to enjoy music, I just want something that's purely emotional... i.e. classical music and progressive/trance electronica. I'm sick as hell of rap, hip-hop, emo, indie-rock, etc and I never liked country. All that crap has a message I'm supposed to buy into, whether it's bragging about bling and bitches or whining about women and lost dogs, I'm not interested in caring about it.
Old 2008-03-18, 05:44 PM   #42
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
I just like good music that has no message, and no story. I don't want to have to pay attention to enjoy music, I just want something that's purely emotional... i.e. classical music and progressive/trance electronica. I'm sick as hell of rap, hip-hop, emo, indie-rock, etc and I never liked country. All that crap has a message I'm supposed to buy into, whether it's bragging about bling and bitches or whining about women and lost dogs, I'm not interested in caring about it.
Scott, while I understand you not wanting to buy into messages of a commercial genre as a whole, I'm quite certain that there are thousands of songs out there with a "message" that's completely rlevant to your life and your perceptions. It's true of everybody, and if you haven't found a single songwriter who you "get" then you're missing out.
Old 2008-03-18, 07:18 PM   #43
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS View Post
Scott, while I understand you not wanting to buy into messages of a commercial genre as a whole, I'm quite certain that there are thousands of songs out there with a "message" that's completely relevant to your life and your perceptions. It's true of everybody, and if you haven't found a single songwriter who you "get" then you're missing out.
While I also understand your perspective Scott, solely because I make beats with no lyrics, my ADD flares and I have to do something with myself listening to music with vocals and I almost HAVE to hear what they are saying and try to relate if possible. I agree most Radio music is SHIT with a message to buy into that more than likely sucks (I listen mostly to independent record labels stuff), but you will find an artist who you connect to whether they sing or just play instruments and it may change your view a bit. When I personally make a beat I know the sound I am going for which sends a mood or message in a sense depending on if you connect with it or not just by the sounds of instruments themselves. What if someone made a song about turbos/motors that would directly relate to your life, would you listen then? So I guess let me re-word what I said, I like all music that has a message which relates to me or any part of my life I am going through or been though. Music that connects me to an artist/group because of a sound they have whether it be musically or vocally or something I am into. I like just about everything BUT country. Did you ever like music with vocals sperry? Also did you get your cable yet?

Last edited by Kavid; 2008-03-18 at 07:22 PM.
Kavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 09:45 AM   #44
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I'm not knocking people that like deep music. I'm just saying, I'm not into it myself. I used to care, back in the Pearl Jam, Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, 2Pac, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, era. But I just don't hear anything anymore that resonates with me, and I stopped looking. The music I like now, I like for purely superficial reasons... something with good rhythm and movement that I can listen to while coding or driving. Not something that's distracting 'cause it makes me think.

And yes, I did get that cable! Nick dropped it off for me. Now I just need to get it dropped into my living room wall. I'm debating on doing it myself, or just trying to get the cable guy to do it while he's dropping my RG6. Plus I need to get a RJ45 patch panel for my wiring closet... right now all the Cat5 in the house is wired on a crappy punch-down for phone use. Like anyone uses RJ11 wall plugs anymore!
Old 2008-03-20, 01:18 PM   #45
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
The music I like now, I like for purely superficial reasons... something with good rhythm and movement that I can listen to while coding or driving. Not something that's distracting 'cause it makes me think.
You know, I was just noticing that the other day at work. I can't listen to half my music because its too distracting. I'd say the new NIN album is good for being background music, but its actually very multilayered and aurally very deep (which is just as distracting for me)
Old 2008-03-20, 01:53 PM   #46
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
You know, I was just noticing that the other day at work. I can't listen to half my music because its too distracting. I'd say the new NIN album is good for being background music, but its actually very multilayered and aurally very deep (which is just as distracting for me)
So your download finally worked? I haven't tried grabbing it yet.
Old 2008-03-31, 07:39 AM   #47
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

The new Pennywise album is really good.
Bob Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 08:08 AM   #48
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Danger View Post
The new Pennywise album is really good.
Seconded!
Old 2008-03-31, 08:17 AM   #49
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I question the general assumption that any pop-punk is good.
Old 2008-03-31, 11:10 AM   #50
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

I'm generally with you, but PennyWise has always had a place held in my music library.