Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-07-01, 08:18 AM   #826
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Diablo 3 Announced.

Don't know if I'm excited or not. They were fun, but I was never sucked in like most people were.
The HD gameplay video is full of win. Man I had so much fun playing Diablo 2 with my friends and roommates on Battle.net and also solo, that I can't wait for D3 to come out. Male/female versions of every class, new classes, rebalanced gameplay, destructable environments, huge bosses, etc. You can tell that there are some serious fans of God of War on the development team, what with the health orbs that drop from enemies and the gigantic boss battles. The full physics support also goes a long way towards making some of the attacks seem very powerful. The Witchdoctor looks like a great addition to the roster of classes, being a versatile pet/DoT/DD class with similar features from both the druid and the necromancer.

I don't usually go for the collector's editions of anything but I'm totally preordering this one.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 09:05 AM   #827
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Let me summarize Diablo.

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

*Ding* Level

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

*Ding* Level, ooh a new sword

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

*Ding* Level

*Ding* Level

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

*Ding* Level

It's basically the game of consumerism... there's no real story, no real skill based challenge other than not being dumb enough to go into a room that you haven't level enough to dominate in, and the only goal is to play through the same click-filled generated levels in the never ending quest to make some stats bigger so you can, wait for it, go back through the same generated levels where all the same creatures are now also +1.

Diablo has no single redeeming value. It's just an addictive, pretty version of the card game war with an infinitely large deck. I must have played Diablo II for like a billion hours, and the instant the reality of the game dawned on me, I turned it off and never turned it back on. It wasn't fun in any creative sort of way... it was just fun in a Pokemon GOTTA COLLECT EM ALL sort of way, which once you realize you're just playing a consumerism simulator isn't fun at all.

I'm the guy that's gonna pre-order the special edition just so I can cut it in half with a chainsaw on YouTube while all the kiddies lament there's one less copy left in the world and leave me feedback like "ur a fag".
Old 2008-07-01, 11:02 AM   #828
Kunikos
EJ22

You seem to have an axe to grind with the game, so I'm not really taking you seriously.

You could make the same complaint (hitting a button repeatedly) about every schmup or real-time rogue-like ever made, but yet they are still popular and continue to be made. However, a real Diablo 2 player would note that it's a little more involved than just clicking a mouse button since you have to use the F-keys to toggle between more useful skills as the situation demands (leap, whirlwind for barbarian, corpse explosion, wall of bone, for necromancer, etc) and know when to make a strategic retreat or use doorways, etc to block monsters from totally surrounding your character, use potions, etc.

As for story, I would have to disagree. I think there is more there than a lot of games out there (does Halo 3 really have any more interesting stuff going on?), and the cinematics do a great job to convey the story. From watching the gameplay videos it looks like they have taken the best bits from what they learned in World of Warcraft and what was done with other Diablo-alikes such as Titan Quest, Sacred, Divine Divinity, etc, plus other games in different genres. They are scripting a lot more with voiced conversations and it looks like they even have in-game conversation "cutscenes" which zoom into your character and an NPC while they talk.

PS When does a game have to have a "redeeming value" other than being a fun waste of time?
Old 2008-07-01, 12:31 PM   #829
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunikos View Post
You seem to have an axe to grind with the game, so I'm not really taking you seriously.

You could make the same complaint (hitting a button repeatedly) about every schmup or real-time rogue-like ever made, but yet they are still popular and continue to be made. However, a real Diablo 2 player would note that it's a little more involved than just clicking a mouse button since you have to use the F-keys to toggle between more useful skills as the situation demands (leap, whirlwind for barbarian, corpse explosion, wall of bone, for necromancer, etc) and know when to make a strategic retreat or use doorways, etc to block monsters from totally surrounding your character, use potions, etc.

As for story, I would have to disagree. I think there is more there than a lot of games out there (does Halo 3 really have any more interesting stuff going on?), and the cinematics do a great job to convey the story. From watching the gameplay videos it looks like they have taken the best bits from what they learned in World of Warcraft and what was done with other Diablo-alikes such as Titan Quest, Sacred, Divine Divinity, etc, plus other games in different genres. They are scripting a lot more with voiced conversations and it looks like they even have in-game conversation "cutscenes" which zoom into your character and an NPC while they talk.

PS When does a game have to have a "redeeming value" other than being a fun waste of time?
Okay, my criticism is a touch hyperbolic. But really, I played a lot of Diablo 2, and one night it just clicked that I was playing the game obsessively and not have any fun. The game's only real selling point is that it's addictive. It's basically crack... seems awesome the first couple of times you hit it, but after a while you're playing just to play... it's not fun, and there's no redeeming value.

In retrospect, I can't think of one specific awesome moment from that game. I can remember epic Counterstrike battles, or great online races I've run... but all Diablo 2 reminds me of is being up in the middle of the night wearing out my mouse buttons to get a virtual jewel to jam in my virtual sword.
Old 2008-07-01, 03:43 PM   #830
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Diablo I/II fans already making a petition to decry the awful art direction shown in Diablo III.

http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html
Old 2008-07-02, 05:52 PM   #831
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I dunno... I think the screens look decent. I respect its heritage, and I had some fun with the first and got my wife to play D2 mp with me, but I can pass on a third.
Old 2008-07-02, 06:53 PM   #832
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

D2 was like playing little lottery mini games. You would hope to hit it big when you kill certain things. That's what kept me playing, and even waking up early before class to play(I can't believe I did that).

it's what Scott was kinda pointing out.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 02:01 PM   #833
Kunikos
EJ22

Yeah, but come on killing Diablo the first time in the first Diablo was fricken epic, and he was a real bitch in Diablo 2 as well. I enjoyed taking down the bosses with friends in co-op quite a bit. The video of co-op play against that boss in Diablo 3 looks like a great time. The physics they added makes the knockback and other effects look really vicious, and the destructable environments make things a lot more immersive. I look forward to playing it over Ventrilo with friends of mine that I used to play Diablo 2 with (my old roommate, etc).

I would like to know if they addressed the problem with short bursts of play where you couldn't get the waypoint and eventually got "too much" experience for an area, and the monsters would get too hard for you and you outgrew all the gear the vendors sell and monsters aren't droppin shit worth a damn.

Last edited by Kunikos; 2008-07-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2008-07-14, 10:38 PM   #834
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I've become addicted to TrackMania Nations Forever . I haven't raced online yet but let me know if you want to race me and my $5 USB controller!

Last edited by cody; 2008-07-14 at 10:42 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:25 AM   #835
Kunikos
EJ22

Your E3 viewing list:

Dawn of War 2 - Cinematic Trailer
Fallout 3 - "A Perfect Life" Cinematic and Gameplay Trailer
Resident Evil 5 - Co-op Gameplay
Prince of Persia (Next-Gen)
Left 4 Dead - Gameplay
Rage - In-Game Trailer
Final Fantasy XIII - Xbox 360 Trailer
Fable 2 - Walkthrough Video

LOL Ghostbusters the Game

Last edited by Kunikos; 2008-07-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 2008-07-15, 08:27 AM   #836
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Final Fantasy on xbox?

My god, the internet must be on fire.
Old 2008-07-15, 08:59 AM   #837
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Do you still have to climb the impossible stairs at the end of Ghostbusters?

Old 2008-07-15, 09:11 AM   #838
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Ghostbusters is actually called Ghostbusters 3. It's technically the 3rd installment in the series story wise. I think a movie would have been cooler.

I wonder how much SUCK Nintendo is bringing this year. Doesn't sound well so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo's current press conference at E3
9:36 - "No system has ever sold more games in its first 19 months of availability."
It should read, No system has ever sold so many *crappy* games in it's first 19 months of availability.
Old 2008-07-15, 09:34 AM   #839
Kunikos
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Final Fantasy on xbox?

My god, the internet must be on fire.
NeoGAF crashed. LOL

Not to mention three other Xbox 360 exclusive Square Enix RPGs: Star Ocean (tri-Ace is the developer), Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscovery (I couldn't make this shit up)
Old 2008-07-15, 09:36 AM   #840
Kunikos
EJ22

P.S. The Dawn of War 2 cinematic trailer is fucking ownage. Finally one where the Space Marines don't get totally owned. I'm a little sad though that Tyranids are a no show thus far.

Edit: Apparently the shit in the sky wasn't Ork spores like I thought, it may be Tyranids. If so, I will be grinning ear to fucking ear all day.

Last edited by Kunikos; 2008-07-15 at 09:59 AM.
Old 2008-07-15, 10:27 AM   #841
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
P.S. The Dawn of War 2 cinematic trailer is fucking ownage. Finally one where the Space Marines don't get totally owned. I'm a little sad though that Tyranids are a no show thus far.

Edit: Apparently the shit in the sky wasn't Ork spores like I thought, it may be Tyranids. If so, I will be grinning ear to fucking ear all day.
It's like you're speaking a foreign language.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:05 AM   #842
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Why have you bastards neglected to talk about Portals 2? I have no doubt that from a comedy standpoint, it will be entertaining as hell.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:10 AM   #843
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Wtf is Portals 2?

You mean the second Portal? Portal: Still Alive is coming to XBLA. I haven't seen much else than that. Haven't looked but that's what I know.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:29 AM   #844
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

You obviously knew what I was talking about, bitch.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:47 AM   #845
Kunikos
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
It's like you're speaking a foreign language.

I'm not sure I need to say anything to make that understood. It's fucking cool.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36029.html

If you watch this and don't think it at least looks cool then you are dead inside.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:53 AM   #846
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
You obviously knew what I was talking about, bitch.
Portal 2 was announced in like Feburary, and its not coming out till next year probably.

Portal: Still Alive is the original Portal + a few extra levels and achievements. Whoopdefreakingdo.
Old 2008-07-15, 12:29 PM   #847
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:

I'm not sure I need to say anything to make that understood. It's fucking cool.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36029.html

If you watch this and don't think it at least looks cool then you are dead inside.
Cool or not... when you say "Apparently the shit in the sky wasn't Ork spores like I thought, it may be Tyranids", you should remember you're posting on a car website. "Orc spores" are from another language man. I've never in my life looked up in the sky and thought "yep, them's some orc spores".
Old 2008-07-15, 12:38 PM   #848
Kunikos
EJ22

yeah the fluff backstory doesn't matter much though, it just supports the cool races and gameplay
Old 2008-07-15, 01:32 PM   #849
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Ork spores sounds kinda dirty.
Old 2008-07-15, 04:20 PM   #850
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

The guy playing in that vid of RE5 is obviously a retard.