Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2003-10-30, 02:15 PM   #1
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM
Default Having Coil-Overs....

...Rules. I've had my car up on jackstands for the last week working on it, with the springs/shocks pulled out. It's totally easy to change spring rates with C/O's.. I'm trying out 375lb front / 325lb rear now for the next event.

I'm trying to get this thing prepared for the enduro in a couple weeks... it's getting closer to race-only status. The backseat is pulled out now, permanently I think. I'm going to try to have the A/C system discharged this weekend so I can take out all that weight too. I tried to pull off the tailpipes aft of the mufflers so I can just clamp on some short turn-downs, but I couldn't get the frigging things around the axle and panhard bar mount... so if I want them off I'm going to have to borrow a sawzall or spend probably a good 2-3 hours with a hacksaw to cut them off. Depending on how I feel the whole radio, speakers & amp system may come out too. All the sound insulation under the carpet & coating the floorpan is definitely coming out this winter too...
Old 2003-12-03, 12:57 PM   #2
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

I spent a couple nights getting re-familiarized with the trusty hacksaw so I could cut off the exhaust tailpipes aft of the mufflers, and "adjusting" a couple of brake hardline brackets that were interfering with my lower spring perches in the rear. Now the rear axle area is *much* easier to work in w/out those damned tailpipe hoops in the way. Course, the car is louder inside now. I hate to say it, but I was grinning like an idiot when I started it up and heard the rumble... it sounds mean. This car is getting off the hook now...
Old 2003-12-03, 01:13 PM   #3
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

MY god....the mustang is become a dedicated race car....... :shock:
Old 2003-12-03, 01:16 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

uhhhh.... where's all that exhaust goin now? I hop you don't fill up the cabin sitting at a stop light... CO doesn't dissapate, once it's in your blood, it there for good. Eventually you have to stop hanging around motors... and I don't think there's an electric vehicle race series yet!
Old 2003-12-03, 01:37 PM   #5
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

The exhaust now has stubs that come out the back of the mufflers and turn the flow about 45* down towards the ground. Pretty standard practice, and I don't think it's any more hazardous than having a side-exit exhaust under your open window.
Old 2003-12-03, 06:31 PM   #6
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Here's a tip for anyone who is thinking there's even the slightest chance they ever might turn their street car into a competition car where weight is a factor... don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...

...ever put bitumen adhesive-type sound insulation (Dynamat or the like) into your car. Don't worry about that annoying road noise on the highway, your pain now will pale in comparison to what will happen when you eventually try to take the goddamn stuff out to remove weight. Here's a photo of what took me about an hour to do.. and the panel I was working on there isn't anywhere close to clean. I'm gonna have to work on the car section by little section... this might take months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound_insulation_goop.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	335  

Old 2003-12-03, 09:26 PM   #7
ShawnS
EJ251

Car: 1995 S14 Zenki

Have you tried dry ice, hammer, and chissel(sp?)? A lot of people in the 240SX circles strip their interiors by using this method. When you get the majority of the sound materials off, use some industrial goo-be-gone solution. Hopefully this should do the trick; if not good luck my friend.

P.S.- I'll try to find the link off of some 240SX forums to find the specific details on how to rid your car or this Shizznit.
Old 2003-12-03, 09:37 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Here's a tip for anyone who is thinking there's even the slightest chance they ever might turn their street car into a competition car where weight is a factor... don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...

...ever put bitumen adhesive-type sound insulation (Dynamat or the like) into your car. Don't worry about that annoying road noise on the highway, your pain now will pale in comparison to what will happen when you eventually try to take the goddamn stuff out to remove weight. Here's a photo of what took me about an hour to do.. and the panel I was working on there isn't anywhere close to clean. I'm gonna have to work on the car section by little section... this might take months.
I always wondered wth you were thinking when you added that stuff.... I mean I knew the car was nearly unbearably loud, but still....
Old 2003-12-04, 08:40 AM   #9
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I mean I knew the car was nearly unbearably loud, but still....
Ding ding ding... we have a winner! I put it in when I was still trying to have "a fast, nice street car" that wouldn't blow my ears out on the highway. Well, fast and nice don't go together well in a Mustang package unless you spend an absolute crapload of money, so I've just dropped the nice part altogether. And now I'm stuck scraping off the evil demon goop from hell square inch by square inch. I'm a retard...