Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2009-01-22, 05:41 PM   #1
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Discount Tire 7450 S. Virginia!!!

Not sure this belongs here yet as I have not tried them yet, but we now have a Discount Tire in Reno!!!

If you haggle, they will often match DiscounttireDirect.com or TireRack.com prices as long as you pay for M&B...

7450 S. Virginia
775-852-9081

Now we need a contact there that knows how to take care of SCCA & SECCS members...
Old 2009-01-22, 09:13 PM   #2
zpeed
EJ251

Car: 06 S2000
Class: RNP & PDX

I stop by last week to ask them about Toyo R888. Almost a week now still did not get back to me.
zpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 09:18 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Dean you should go in there and represent both Seccs and Aeccs. They don't have to know its the same club.
Old 2009-01-22, 10:38 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpeed View Post
I stop by last week to ask them about Toyo R888. Almost a week now still did not get back to me.
Call them. Expecting a shop to be responsible enough to call you is silly.
Old 2009-01-28, 07:46 PM   #5
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time

Great heads up!! I'll have to give them a shot before I drive out to Tirerack again.
Old 2009-07-29, 12:24 PM   #6
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"
Default Discount Tires +1

Discount Tires has pretty much the same prices as tire rack. sometimes cheaper (seen em $1 less) sometimes a lil more.

their install prices suck i think 1$ per inch of rim + balance .

but they have this cool tire certificate program. It covers you for any road hazard, even when its your own fault.

I bought some good year eagle GT tires from them and took them on a dirt road a few times over a few weeks. I caught a rock wrong in the sidewall but didn't want to change my tire there so i drove out like 5 miles slowly, ruining the sidewall. put on my spare and drove home, then back to the store the next day. They charged me for a new tire certificate ($15?) and just gave me a new tire.

a few months after that (same road) i came through a fast section of sunrise pass 5L 100 4R/Crest 200 , well a lil too fast and i didn't have any extra grip available to avoid a really nasty rock. i ran that over and Broke 2 rims (pieces of alumnium physically broken out) one tire was instant flat, the other was holding air as it wasn't as busted.

went back into discount with all 4 rims and tires, they removed the tires and i took my rims home, came back the next day with a different set of rims . they gave me 100% credit for the popped tire and like 50% credit on the other 3. (and they were fairly worn down) .

this time i selected a taller tire to hopefully protect my rims a touch more, and add ride height.
215/55/17 (yes they fit... barely)

Well last night i decided to drive levathian mine road. I came through about the middle pont of the road. a 2L+ Very long into 3R long into cattle guard into 4L into 4R. well i tried to get a little too cute with the apex on the 4L almost put my front tire into a rock but snaked around it, but slide the back tire into it. sidewall cut, instant flat.

took the tire into discount today, $20 for a new cert and tire diposal. new tire on my rim.

thing is i told them before i bought the certs, i would be driving fast on dirt roads and i would cut a lot of tires and they said fine. and they are still fine with it.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 03:09 PM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Savage.
Old 2010-09-16, 04:52 PM   #8
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

+1

Matthew at the south Reno store took care of ordering my Rotas, and they installed my used RE070s no questions asked. I made them work hunting down possible fitments too, and they were happy to do it.

Also, Matthew has a pearl white LGT.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 06:08 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Didn't you order 17x8s and end up with 17x7.5s?
Old 2010-09-17, 01:43 PM   #10
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I did. But, I saw the order they sent to Rota - Rota messed up. I said f it. I figured I'm putting STI OE tires one STI OE wheel size ('04). And, they are significantly lighter than the 17x8 Rota Boosts that the tires were mounted on.

Matthew offered to return the wheels to Rota for 17x8s prior to mounting. But, Rota didn't have 17x8 in flat black. I was planning on running graphics, and flat black had already been cut to match. Had I know the flack I'd pick up for running a WRX Wagon with graphics (from normal people) I would have gone with 17x8 in Gold which were available, no extra charge, no issues. He did refund a bit back on the 17x7.5 v. 17x8 price difference as well.

Out the door I ended up at $650 installed with lugs (McGard aluminum) for the 17x7.5, about $150 less than WheelDude.com. I am also awaiting a $100 rebate
Old 2010-09-17, 02:23 PM   #11
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Not a bad deal.
Old 2010-09-24, 01:19 PM   #12
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quick note - called Matthew at south Reno Discount Tire, told him I picked up a nail. Headed down there at lunch, 20 minutes later all fixed (was actually a 2" deck screw), for free.

Also, picking up some used snow tires for the car.

Not affraid to say Firestone is quickly losing our (my dad and myself) 8+ tires a year, oil changes, alignments, etc. I think we were over 60 tires through Firestone last I checked. (all drivers, no comp tires or anything like that - just four vehicles with two sets of wheels/tires, and a 12 car family).
Old 2010-09-25, 12:50 AM   #13
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
Discount Tires has pretty much the same prices as tire rack. sometimes cheaper (seen em $1 less) sometimes a lil more.

their install prices suck i think 1$ per inch of rim + balance .

but they have this cool tire certificate program. It covers you for any road hazard, even when its your own fault.

I bought some good year eagle GT tires from them and took them on a dirt road a few times over a few weeks. I caught a rock wrong in the sidewall but didn't want to change my tire there so i drove out like 5 miles slowly, ruining the sidewall. put on my spare and drove home, then back to the store the next day. They charged me for a new tire certificate ($15?) and just gave me a new tire.

a few months after that (same road) i came through a fast section of sunrise pass 5L 100 4R/Crest 200 , well a lil too fast and i didn't have any extra grip available to avoid a really nasty rock. i ran that over and Broke 2 rims (pieces of alumnium physically broken out) one tire was instant flat, the other was holding air as it wasn't as busted.

went back into discount with all 4 rims and tires, they removed the tires and i took my rims home, came back the next day with a different set of rims . they gave me 100% credit for the popped tire and like 50% credit on the other 3. (and they were fairly worn down) .

this time i selected a taller tire to hopefully protect my rims a touch more, and add ride height.
215/55/17 (yes they fit... barely)

Well last night i decided to drive levathian mine road. I came through about the middle pont of the road. a 2L+ Very long into 3R long into cattle guard into 4L into 4R. well i tried to get a little too cute with the apex on the 4L almost put my front tire into a rock but snaked around it, but slide the back tire into it. sidewall cut, instant flat.

took the tire into discount today, $20 for a new cert and tire diposal. new tire on my rim.

thing is i told them before i bought the certs, i would be driving fast on dirt roads and i would cut a lot of tires and they said fine. and they are still fine with it.

Wow, as many tires as I go through as well, this doesn't sound like a bad idea. since I am always getting mine at tire rack but then have to pay to get them installed. Thanks for the tip.

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 04:27 PM   #14
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Quick note - called Matthew at south Reno Discount Tire, told him I picked up a nail. Headed down there at lunch, 20 minutes later all fixed (was actually a 2" deck screw), for free.

Also, picking up some used snow tires for the car.

Not affraid to say Firestone is quickly losing our (my dad and myself) 8+ tires a year, oil changes, alignments, etc. I think we were over 60 tires through Firestone last I checked. (all drivers, no comp tires or anything like that - just four vehicles with two sets of wheels/tires, and a 12 car family).
Discount Tire is pretty good. I actually have been going to KSpeed and they are absurdly awesome. It makes me sick actually. They are that good.