Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2005-12-11, 06:30 PM   #26
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSTI
edit:I also want to say im sorry if i touched a sore subject.
It's not really a sore subject... it's just that in addition to the obvious wish to keep SECCSers safe, most the members of this board are big into motorsports and enjoy modding our cars for use at the track. We hate the attention our cars get from the police and the like because there are people out there with the same interests as us that refuse to behave on the street.

In addition, as the administrator of this site, I feel obligated to make sure to speak up when people glorify or otherwise endorse street racing. I don't want people getting the idea that this club supports street racing, if just for the legal reasons alone.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:51 PM   #27
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Even racing on the street below the speed limit is dangerous... that's why the law isn't "no racing over the speed limit", the law is "no racing".

And while people get killed at race tracks... innocent bystanders don't get killed at the race track. When I'm out there I'm at 100% concentration in a car inspected for safe operation, with other cars driven by drivers at 100% concentration in their safety inspected cars... and we've all signed waivers.

On the street there are people out there that aren't in on your little game, and it's not fair to risk their lives. That's why street racing is illegal... not 'cause "the man" is trying to keep you down, it's 'cause other people can die when you fuck up on the street, not just the participants.

When you start getting into the 11's at the strip, I believe a cage is required... but road race tracks don't tend to have the same requirements. Though if you're getting into 100+ mph speeds, a roll hoop becomes a good idea. I'm looking at getting a 6 point hoop before next season starts.

If you're going to put so many resitrictions on yourself trying to be safe about it, why not just stop racing on the street period? Plus, safety issues aside, it doesn't matter how desolated the spot is that you pick to race on, it's still your ass in jail if the cops see you. Why even bother with the risk, when there are much more fun and much safer venues to race at?
Becuase i dont have to travel...its right there..like i said i dont even do it..it very rare i do. I had a Camaro try to get me to race..i didnt. Dont judge me for one thing i have done. Im not against the "man", im not some teenage punk. I admit when i first got my license and my first car, a V6 Mustang i raced like a idiot, but i had a few close calls with police and stopped, its not worth it, thats why i have those conditions. They are hardly ever meet.
You are right on the innocent bystander part, ill admit that.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 06:52 PM   #28
doubleurx
EJ205

Other than making sure your brakes are functioning well with decent pads and fluid, your tires have decent tread, there isn't much more you would need to spend on an STI for the track. The biggest cost you will incur is fuel and the track fee.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 06:53 PM   #29
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
It's not really a sore subject... it's just that in addition to the obvious wish to keep SECCSers safe, most the members of this board are big into motorsports and enjoy modding our cars for use at the track. We hate the attention our cars get from the police and the like because there are people out there with the same interests as us that refuse to behave on the street.

In addition, as the administrator of this site, I feel obligated to make sure to speak up when people glorify or otherwise endorse street racing. I don't want people getting the idea that this club supports street racing, if just for the legal reasons alone.
Im not endorsing street racing.

That STI was driving like a idiot, i even said to myself, this is why im getting screwed with insurance. he was weaving in and out, speeding excessivly, in one of the worst places to be doing anything wrong.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:55 PM   #30
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx
Other than making sure your brakes are functioning well with decent pads and fluid, your tires have decent tread, there isn't much more you would need to spend on an STI for the track. The biggest cost you will incur is fuel and the track fee.
Yea..but i dont want to keep having to buy tires for general use. Rims+Tires are costly by themselves...i want to get some street rims and use the stockers for the track.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:55 PM   #31
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Must've been E.T. (Eileen? Thomas). Setup rules possibly depends on what organization you are driving with. SCCA vs. NASA, vs. various car clubs.
yeap..thats her..i also talked to one of the track managers..he had a stealth.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:57 PM   #32
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Yeah, I'll admit to my fair share of jackassery, but I don't think I ever endangered anyones lives. Then again, the guy in the vette that just took out a van full of kids, probably didn't think he was endangering anyones lives easier. I don't claim to be flawless here.

I'm still a relative noob to the track thing, only been on a road course once and only a handful of auto-x, but after experienceing that little bit, its so much more fun. You're opponents are skilled (relatively) and you know they are trying their hardest. So, when you beat them, you beat them. There is no bench racing afterwards like "well, I thought I saw a cop so I backed off a little, thats the only reason you won."

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2005-12-11 at 07:00 PM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 07:01 PM   #33
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Yeah, I'll admit to my fair share of jackassery, but I don't think I ever endangered anyones lives. Then again, the guy in the vette that just took out a van full of kids, probably didn't think he was endangering anyones lives easier. I don't claim to be flawless here.

I'm still a relative noob to the track thing, only been on a road course once and only a handful of auto-x, but after experienceing that little bit, its so much more fun. You're opponents are skilled (relatively) and you know they are trying their hardest. So, when you beat them, you beat them. There is no bench racing afterwards like "well, I thought I saw a cop so I backed off a little, thats the only reason you won."

But, what I don't understand, is how someone can afford an STi but not the pads/fluid/tires/etc to race it (if thats what you want it for). If the car is straining your budget that much, then maybe you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Its not really straning my budget. I can afford winter tires, the basics..but not a lot of it if i was to start on the track. Im also paying for photography stuff, since thats what im doing for a living, and that aint cheap. Im lucky that im living at home, but ill probably be moving out soon.
Old 2005-12-11, 07:04 PM   #34
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I don't think anyone is blaming you for that right now.

When the topic comes up, it gets heated

Regardless of how the discussion started, everyone has to put in their two cents.
Old 2005-12-11, 07:06 PM   #35
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
I don't think anyone is blaming you for that right now.

When the topic comes up, it gets heated

Regardless of how the discussion started, everyone has to put in their two cents.
yea..its all good. I actually am glad this happened. I am learning a bit lol
Old 2005-12-11, 07:10 PM   #36
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Its not really straning my budget. I can afford winter tires, the basics..but not a lot of it if i was to start on the track. Im also paying for photography stuff, since thats what im doing for a living, and that aint cheap. Im lucky that im living at home, but ill probably be moving out soon.
Yeah, I edited that out since it sounded worse then I meant it to. My hobby is my car, so I spend almost all of my spare cash on it. I know other people aren't the same way, and I didn't mean to come off like I think I sounded.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:25 PM   #37
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
If you'd go to a race track once in a while, you'd realize how stupid jerking off on the streets really is.
I do go to a real race track once and a while and I still dont understand what you guys have against having a little fun on the street.

At 1am in the morning, waiting till cars are cleared in fear there are cops around, I dont know who else I'm putting in danger besides myself. Same goes for a race track. Just because I go out there doesn't mean I dont have a chance of hurting or killing myself.

Yeah, I agree that racing infront of spectators down the road to where you can reach speeds of +100mph is stupid, but that's a self-decision. You wouldn't find me doing anything of the sort. But if I'm on the freeway and there's an STI trying to tell me whats up, and if the coast is clear, I'll smoke him.

And also, if a friend and I wanna have a little grudge match to compare performance, I'm not going to drive 60 miles to the nearest drag track and pay $35 for an enterance fee. I'm going to go out at night, find an long, empty street and race.

If someone is testing his/her car against yours in a safe area of a public road, and you decline and call him a "jerk off" for wanting to have some fun on a public road, I'm going to call you a poor sport.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:31 PM   #38
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Your intentional ignorance of the risks you take, and more importantly force other people to take by your actions, is astounding.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:43 PM   #39
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
If someone is testing his/her car against yours in a safe area of a public road, and you decline and call him a "jerk off" for wanting to have some fun on a public road, I'm going to call you a poor sport.
A poor sport? If someone is "testing" their car against mine on the street, I usually laugh at them and keep on driving. If that makes me a poor sport, then so be it. I don't need to prove my car to random people who rev on me on the street. Beating a street racer means nothing to me, so why should I do it? I only care about beating those that I respect as good drivers.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:45 PM   #40
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Can't we all just Solo2 and get along?
Old 2005-12-11, 08:49 PM   #41
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
I have a friend who races at RFR and other places in amature classes. He uses a 95 GT...all he did was strip the interior..put on some slicks and run a free flowing exhaust, he usually places in the top 5.
I had a 95 GT too. That must be a pretty damn weak road racing class if he's placing top 5 in that thing.

Quote:
There is actually a few places that make great track cars:

Maximum Motorsports
I hear those guys are the bomb.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:50 PM   #42
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:

You do come off a bit preachy, but hey, it's your forum...but I don't see how you could be legally responsible for street racing even if you had a forum dedicated to talking about it.

Darksti seems like he's got his head screwed on pretty straight to me. Spooln on the other hand...

I yolk.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:56 PM   #43
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

I have never gotten the impression Scott feels this is a legal liability, but more, a moral responsibility to do the right thing.
I heart Subarus,
you heart Subarus,
=
I heart you.

Wanting to keep you, and me and mine, safe.

If we didn't care, we would say anything.

And also, there are plenty of other forums for trash talk about street racing. We're never going to be good at it, because many of us don't believe in it.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 09:03 PM   #44
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Scott, Nick, Kevin and the rest of you all make some really good points...I'm convinced that street racing is dumb...but I'm just not sure that racing on a baron road from a stop light to the speed limit is all that dangerous. Yes I've seen videos where people crash launching their car, but I think there's stupider things that you could do like driving under the influence, tired, or even angry.
Old 2005-12-11, 09:06 PM   #45
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
I heart Subarus,
you heart Subarus,
=
I heart you.

Thanks for the new sig.
Old 2005-12-11, 09:10 PM   #46
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Scott, Nick, Kevin and the rest of you all make some really good points...I'm convinced that street racing is dumb...but I'm just not sure that racing on a baron road from a stop light to the speed limit is all that dangerous. Yes I've seen videos where people crash launching their car, but I think there's stupider things that you could do like driving under the influence, tired, or even angry.
Yes, those are also very dangerous. But, does the presence of more dangerous activities legitimize other less dangerous (yet still somewhat dangerous) activities? Even if they are on a "baron" road?

I'm not against having a little fun on the road, but there are people out there who's whole self-worth seems to come from beating other cars. On the track, on the street, where ever. When you get two of those people together, there is no such thing as 'safe' street racing. When both are pushing so hard to see who will back down first, there is a good chance of a fatality, and just as good of a chance that it won't be either driver. Personally, I feel sorry for those types of people, and I hope none of you are like that.
Old 2005-12-11, 09:20 PM   #47
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Yes, those are also very dangerous. But, does the presence of more dangerous activities legitimize other less dangerous (yet still somewhat dangerous) activities? Even if they are on a "baron" road?
Not at all, but I think it speaks to the fact that these behaviors are commonplace. Like if we were arguing about sky diving without a parachute, I could understand the conviction you express...and absolute statements, like when Scott says no street racing is safe no matter what the speed, are true in my mind...but when I make the decision to have a little fun from a stoplight on a baron road to the speed limit, I don't think it's really all that bad. Not a smart move, but not any dumber than the stupid things people do every day...and they still make it home in one piece. (OMG :o ).

I honestly think that the fact that I won't usually answer my phone while I'm driving makes me safer than thoe of you that do...even taking into consideration that I've raced from a stoplight 3 or 4 times in my life...
Old 2005-12-11, 09:31 PM   #48
DARKSTI
EJ22

even i dont agree with that. "Poor Sport" becuase he doesnt want to street race....like sperry, i wont even touch this. I learned my ways before i got in deep, i hope you can too. Im going to try and go get my license after lookiing at RFR's website.
Old 2005-12-11, 09:32 PM   #49
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Darksti seems like he's got his head screwed on pretty straight to me. Spooln on the other hand...
thanks
Old 2005-12-11, 09:57 PM   #50
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Not at all, but I think it speaks to the fact that these behaviors are commonplace. Like if we were arguing about sky diving without a parachute, I could understand the conviction you express...and absolute statements, like when Scott says no street racing is safe no matter what the speed, are true in my mind...but when I make the decision to have a little fun from a stoplight on a baron road to the speed limit, I don't think it's really all that bad. Not a smart move, but not any dumber than the stupid things people do every day...and they still make it home in one piece. (OMG :o ).

I honestly think that the fact that I won't usually answer my phone while I'm driving makes me safer than thoe of you that do...even taking into consideration that I've raced from a stoplight 3 or 4 times in my life...
Ok, I was trying to help you out earlier without directly pointing it out, but its barren, unless of course you mean driving on roads that are ruled by old German nobles.

Also, I've seen you at the track. I don't know if I trust your judgement of whats smart to do on the road or not (btw, thats a joke, since I also spun that day).