Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2004-04-13, 08:54 PM   #1
Evo Mike
EJ251

Default Driving School.

Hey guys, anyone know anything about this driving school?
My friend back in hawaii say's it's pretty good..

http://www.skipbarber.com/

Worth it? not worth it?

if it's good, i'm definetly going... anyone interested?
Old 2004-04-13, 09:07 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

It's very good, but very expensive, i'd love to go some day.
Old 2004-04-13, 09:24 PM   #3
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Yah Scott wants to go to that also!

I'm sure if you want to really expeirence some top notch instruction at really cool tracks that looks like an awesome ticket.

Edit: Are you talking about the Racing School or Driving School?

or the Ultra High Performance Driving School?

Quote:
The 500-HP Dodge Viper SRT-10 serves as a rolling classroom where students build proficiencies in autocrossing, driving under g-load and aggressive braking techniques. Additionally, drills such as champagne slalom, a timed figure-8 exercise and power slides have been integrated into the curriculum. Like all Skip Barber courses, the ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL is taught by racing and driving professionals, experts in automotive training.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 09:34 PM   #4
Evo Mike
EJ251

I think i read on that webpage that the Driving school is more "street car" instruction. The racing school was more of the F1 type.. Not sure about which class teaches what.. but i was thinking more of the driving school and the two day session. (if i'm gonna go down to cali for it, i'm gonna make it worth it)!) That's cool other ppl are interested
Old 2004-04-13, 09:41 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Talk to Austin (AtomicLabMonkey). He's done the Racing School at Laguna Seca.
Old 2004-04-14, 07:35 AM   #6
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Skip Barber and Bondurant seem to be regarded as two of the best racing schools to attend; I went to the Barber 3-day racing school at Laguna a few years ago. The first day is a lot of classroom time (which is good, don't get me wrong - you don't just want to go jump out on the track at full-tilt-boogie in one of those formula cars if you're a beginner), some autocross around the parking lot in the formula cars to get used to them, and some drills on the track to focus on different aspects of corners. One of the best is the threshold braking drill; they have you line up before T11 and brake right on the threshold of tire lockup while an instructor stands on the track, watches your technique and gives you feedback. IIRC the second day doesn't have much classroom time, it's mostly on the track. You do some laps in the Neons (f4st4r!) with an instructor in the car giving you feedback, and later in the day you're out in the formula cars taking laps. They have instructors stand at each corner station around the track and watch what you're doing. The third day is all on the track, mostly continuous lapping IIRC.

All in all the school is fairly regimented; while you're still learning the car they have max-RPM limits in sessions, things like that - BUT, if you're a beginner I think the regimented approach is definitely the way to go. It's no joke when you're cooking down the front stretch at 100+ mph, if you do something wrong and get the car out of shape (like a beginner with no limits put on them would likely do) you're gonna be hurting pretty bad... not to mention thousands of dollars in debt for cracking up one of their cars.
Old 2004-04-14, 08:01 AM   #7
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

My step dad went to Russell Racing's race school. He threw a car into the wall going pretty damn fast. Car was totalled and he was fine. He didn't have to pay for it, you get one free there.
Old 2004-04-14, 08:59 AM   #8
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Glad he was alright! Did he keep on performance driving after that?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 08:59 AM   #9
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Of course!