Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2012-07-30, 01:00 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Anyone have access to a Subaru Select monitor?

Alternate Title: "Burn all dealerships to the ground"

Last weekend I installed a remote starter in my Outback. Instead of using the old key-in-a-box deal to bypass the security transponder, I ordered a programmable transponder pill specific to Subarus. It's literally exactly like a factory transponder key w/o the physical cut key part. Then I got a blank key cut at Home Depot. Hold the transponder pill next to the blank key while starting it, and it's exactly the same as a factory key.

Went to Lithia to get the pill programmed. The dude tells me it's $128... plus $15 for the key. Excuse me? First $128 is insanity for literally 5 minutes of work (plug in the select monitor, turn 4 keys in the ignition, done)... but another $15 for what? For the key that I'm supplying? Why not charge me $143 instead of making up a $15 charge for fuck-all nothing? On principle, I told the guy I'd go to Carson, and walked out.

Called Michael Hohl Subaru from Lithia's parking lot. Dude tells me it'll be $50 to program a key. Sure, that's still $10/minute, but it's like 1/3 Lithia's crackhead price. I hauled ass down to Carson... just to be told by the service guy there "we can't program an aftermarket key". I argued with the dude, but he talked the shop manager and was told "it won't work". I asked the guy to try it anyway, I'm happy to pay. Nope. Fuck you dude, for $50, if I asked you to fucking program a banana to my car, you should fucking hop to and give it a shot. "Well sir, it doesn't appear that this banana properly paired to the ECU, but thanks for the $50." So thanks Michael Hohl for wasting an hour and a half of my time.

I swear, I can't believe how combative, unhelpful, and condescending dealerships are. Fuck both of them. I guess I'm going to have to drive to California to try to find a service dept. that's willing to just give something a shot. Or pony up $3000 for my own Subaru scanner. If only the goddamn SSM protocol was published somewhere, I'd write my own programmer software over my Tactrix cable. Anything is preferable to dealing with the fucktards at the dealership. Never again. For anything.

So, anyone have access to an SSM? Anyone know someone at a dealership that isn't a total brain-dead goober that can understand enough about how a key works to think that maybe, just maybe, someone might have invented an aftermarket equivalent to a transponder that will program up to the ECU just like a factory key?
Old 2012-07-30, 02:53 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I *think* LIC might have one, and maybe FWM. Unlikely that anybody else within a day's drive that's not a dealer will have one.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:28 PM   #3
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Maaan. I knew dealships sucked, but turning money away out of stupidity is a new low....
Old 2012-08-03, 07:05 PM   #4
Street Pirate
n00b

You know if you didn't feel the need to insult everyone as a blanket statement some of us actually like helping people. As far as I know the SSM III is closer to $10,000 as a complete setup. Dealerships try to do things "by the book" so they are not sued. It happens more that you know. Lets say you paid $50 to get the key pill programmed and something went wrong and say freaked out the immobilizer. a new BIU is like $700 bucks plus you need new keys at say $125 each and possibly a new ECM at $1000. Now who pays for that. Maybe you are an upstanding guy and you get the risk but many out there are not and that why things don't get done that way. It's all about liability.
Street Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 08:22 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pirate View Post
You know if you didn't feel the need to insult everyone as a blanket statement some of us actually like helping people. As far as I know the SSM III is closer to $10,000 as a complete setup. Dealerships try to do things "by the book" so they are not sued. It happens more that you know. Lets say you paid $50 to get the key pill programmed and something went wrong and say freaked out the immobilizer. a new BIU is like $700 bucks plus you need new keys at say $125 each and possibly a new ECM at $1000. Now who pays for that. Maybe you are an upstanding guy and you get the risk but many out there are not and that why things don't get done that way. It's all about liability.
SSM is indeed expensive, but it was created and distributed at the rollout of OBD-II, which was fifteen years ago. I stand with Scott- $162 to program a simple key is fucking ridiculous, and no rational discourse will reverse that.
Old 2012-08-04, 05:23 AM   #6
Street Pirate
n00b

Is it expensive yes, do I think what Lithia wants to charge is crazy- yes. I have no control over what we charge. The new immobilizer system rolled out with the new 2013 impreza will let the owner program there own keys but that is not what we are talking about. Yes the SSM 1 and 2 were created many years ago but the current generation SSM3 was created only back in 2007 and is much more inclusive. I believe though this is only my opinion that we charge what we charge to recoup the cost of buying, maintaining and updating our equipment. Is the cost really out there-yes but that is the way this industry is going, not a lot you can do to stop it.
Street Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 10:38 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pirate View Post
Is it expensive yes, do I think what Lithia wants to charge is crazy- yes. I have no control over what we charge. The new immobilizer system rolled out with the new 2013 impreza will let the owner program there own keys but that is not what we are talking about. Yes the SSM 1 and 2 were created many years ago but the current generation SSM3 was created only back in 2007 and is much more inclusive. I believe though this is only my opinion that we charge what we charge to recoup the cost of buying, maintaining and updating our equipment. Is the cost really out there-yes but that is the way this industry is going, not a lot you can do to stop it.
I call bullshit.

Try reading the other forums about remote start installs. Most dealership charge around $30 to program a key and don't care if it's aftermarket or not.

A passive transponder is never going to damage the vehicle's immobalizer... that would be like typing the wrong phone number into your phone and breaking AT&T. And if you haven't paid off your SM3 by now, after 6 years of charging $150 for key programming, then someone over there is embezzling from the service department or something.

As far as doing something to stop the over charging, there's plenty I can do. First, I'm not paying Lithia a dime. Second, I'm bitching about it here... which doesn't help me, but now anyone that wants a factory key programmed can read that it's 1/3 the cost in Carson. Third, for me, I paid $9 to get a key box so I can use my remote start until the next time I'm down in Sacramento. There are dealerships that will charge reasonable rates... Lithia doesnt have a cornered market.

Finally, your attitude in these posts is basically on par with the rest of the folks at Lithia. You're not earning anyone's business coming in here telling me I'm wrong for being offended by your admittedly ridiculous prices. You want to help people? Start by sympathizing instead of admonishing.
Old 2012-08-04, 04:23 PM   #8
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

For reference, we charge around $40 to program Toyota keys. The keys themselves are pretty pricey though.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 09:27 PM   #9
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

One of the few areas American cars got right. 2001 Taurus? Key with chip, $9. Cut, $2 at ACE. Turn car on with key 1. Turn off, turn car on with key 2 within 10 seconds. Now turn off, put in new (cut) key, car recognizes new chip, authorizes add based on other two successful authorizations, and bam, new key works.

Only thing that sucks is it's still a 2001 Taurus
Old 2012-08-14, 11:47 AM   #10
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybir View Post
One of the few areas American cars got right. 2001 Taurus? Key with chip, $9. Cut, $2 at ACE. Turn car on with key 1. Turn off, turn car on with key 2 within 10 seconds. Now turn off, put in new (cut) key, car recognizes new chip, authorizes add based on other two successful authorizations, and bam, new key works.

Only thing that sucks is it's still a 2001 Taurus
It's equally easy to program my WRX for new fobs...even tells you how to do it in the owner's manual so no dealer required. Too bad my keyless entry is still broken.