Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2011-08-02, 10:38 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default DiscountTireDirect.com

I'm still confused as to the relationship between Discount Tire (local B/M store) and DiscountTireDirect.com. I tend to think they're totally unrelated except for sharing similar names.

Either way, I just ordered a set of wheels and tires for the wagon from DiscountTireDirect. They price matched TireRack's price for me on the tires and because I'm local to TireRack they even price matched the TireRack price w/o shipping cost, which was a surprise. The guy helping me also threw in a set of lug nuts for free.

So, if you're looking at tires from DiscountTireDirect.com, hit up JT at extension 51858. Very friendly and helpful guy. He said he'd be happy to hook up the club when I mentioned a lot of us autocross/track our cars.
Old 2011-08-02, 02:37 PM   #2
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

What wheels did you get?
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 03:22 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19 View Post
What wheels did you get?
I wanted some Advan RCII's after seeing the set sybir just put on his wagon... but I just couldn't justify spending $1300 on the set I found. So I got some 18x8 MB Weapons (A-Tech erasers). I had a 17" set years ago on my WRX and thought they were a pretty decent set of cheap wheels... nicer than Rotas and like half the cost now that Rotas sell for $1000+ for all the hella-flush brotards.

Anyway, I needed some 18x8's for the wagon because 245/45/18 is really the only tire size that has a wide selection of performance tires that match the OEM diameter on the Outbacks. And I needed them quick, since the tire I plugged is leaking again after a session at the track last weekend.

As far as tires, I'm trying out the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I don't know if they're going to stack up against the current crop of near-Rcomp street tires that people are autocrossing on, but they've got a 300 treadwear rating, and epic reviews on TireRack and DiscountTireDirect. I was originally planning on some Continental DW's since I like the Conti DWS's we put on my wife's car, but the Michelins weren't all that much more and beat the Contis in every single review category. Plus, I've never had a set of Michelins I didn't love... they just usually cost too much to justify buying them.