Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2005-03-18, 03:28 PM   #1
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L
Default Solo schools, worth it?

This will be my first year racing auto cross. I recently logged on to the Reno SCCA site and saw that on 4-2/3 there will be a school and test-and-tune.

What I would like to know-

Has anyone done something like this before?
Was it helpful?
What other costs are included besides a SCCA membership?
Is anyone else going?

I have a helmet already, but no driving suit or any other "racing" gear. Is that stuff required to race Solo 2?
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-18, 03:34 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?
Default Re: Solo schools, worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libila
This will be my first year racing auto cross. I recently logged on to the Reno SCCA site and saw that on 4-2/3 there will be a school and test-and-tune.

What I would like to know-

Has anyone done something like this before?
Was it helpful?
What other costs are included besides a SCCA membership?
Is anyone else going?

I have a helmet already, but no driving suit or any other "racing" gear. Is that stuff required to race Solo 2?
You only need your helmet and seatbelt, no other safety equipment is required.

I would strongly recommend any new drivers attend the school. I few of us, (Me, Scott, Dean, Debbie) Instructed last year, and will likely be instructing again this year. The school is a great place to have ALL your questions answered in a laid-back setting, vs. the more hectic race event.
Old 2005-03-18, 03:57 PM   #3
Libila
EJ205

That's what I was hoping for. To get some expierence prior to an actual event.

I'm glad to hear that there will be some familiar faces out there (well, somewhat familiar. I've been to three meets due to school).

Are there any extra costs besides the membership fee?

Where can I find more information about the school?
Old 2005-03-18, 04:05 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

SCCA membership is not required for Regional events. However, there is a discount for members.

The school (and regional events) cost $30/day for non-SCCA members, and $20/day for members. Out of town (i.e. non-Stead Airport events) events will usually cost more, as do Divisional or National Tour events.

Asking around hthis forum is usually the best place for information since many of us are autocrossers and contribute our time to helping run RenoSCCA.

As far as the AutoX school. Last year was the 1st time we did it. So if this year is similar, we will have several stations setup for practicing: straight line acceleration, slalom, turning, etc. You will group with a few other cars and run through each station a few times, usually with an instructor in your car to provide feedback. There is usually a "classroom" portion in the morning where techniques will be discussed.

All in all, it's a great way to get some basic information about competing in AutoX, and also provides a lower stress way to get involved since there's no timer running. Plus many of the more experienced drivers will be there as instructors, so they are free to give tips and answer questions as they won't be busy driving their own cars.
Old 2005-03-18, 04:34 PM   #5
Weasel 22
EJ22

I would like to do this with the SVX this year..however my little oil leak problem would a very bad thing on the track..and for the SVX..if I manage to get it fixed in time, I'll be out there for the school
SVX (Subaru Vehicle X)...no matter how far a jackass travels..it won't come back a horse
Weasel 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-18, 05:17 PM   #6
Libila
EJ205

I too have a small quark I need to work out in my Civ before the school. For some odd reason it likes to shut off between shifts from 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th. I'm offically on spring break, so I have plenty of time to figure it out.