Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2003-03-01, 06:57 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Vishnu Stage 1... Muhahahahaha!

Well, I finally got around to installing my Stage 1 exhaust that showed up last Thursday. HOLY CRAP does it sound cool!! It's a little louder than I was expecting, but there's ZERO "fart-can" whine to it. Pure rumble and growl (gotta love that boxer motor)! At idle it sounds very much like LabMonkey's mustang :shock:! I need to back off the boost setting on my MBC, the lower back-pressure lets that turbo spool up much faster, and it likes to park up at 1.2bar (it was set for 1.1bar before)!

All that's left is to send my UniChip off to Shiv to be remapped. Then I think I'll be pretty much done with power mods! I've decided not to step up to the ECUTek just yet. With the UniChip I still have the option of removing my MBC and running STX this season, where I'll be much more competative... especially since I can't afford rims and tires before the season starts. Plus, I wanna see from Kev how easy that UTec is... if you really can easily and safely tune that thing, I might want to try one of those... that way I can leave the car with the stock boost map for autocross, and still tune it.

So if you see a blue rex with a 4" pipe, throw a peace sign and say "hey pimp-daddy"! Cuz I would neva front on my folks... I slow down and let the gold-diggers count my spokes!
Old 2003-03-01, 07:18 PM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Congrats....someday this summer Ill get the stage 0. (Which I need your help installing if you wouldn't mind going through all the crap again.... )

Can't wait to here it at the meet. Did we decide the 15th?
Old 2003-03-02, 03:21 AM   #3
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Sweet man!!!! I want to hear it....
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-02, 03:52 PM   #4
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4
Class: ?

drive fast take chances

I want to hear your car I bet its nice as hell now I would like to race you sometime when I get my car back. Did you get the $1650 exhaust system or the $1200 one?
ZER026D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-03, 08:48 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Yeah, it sounds pretty dope. I went with the $1200 one. The more expensive "signature series" exhaust has a bypass pipe for the wastegate, which allows wategate gas to flow around the downpipe cat. But since the non-signature series doesn't have a downpipe cat, there's no loss of power.

Yes, that means I'm now running 1 hi-flo cat (instead of the 3 stock)... I'm wondering how I'm gonna pass emmisions... I guess I'll just go heat everything up real hot before hitting the smog station and hope for the best.
Old 2003-03-03, 08:52 AM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Oh yeah, as far as racing... I won't do it on the street (I'd like to keep my license if anything should go wrong...) but we can always compare times at the next autocross!

I shoulda posted this in this thread to begin with, but here's a link to the pics and movie I put up:

http://www.doink.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=794#794

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=323641