Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2005-07-01, 09:58 AM   #1
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi
Default IHI Turbo price increases

If anyone was planning on doing a VF34/22 swap, I suggest you try and find someone with a turbo in stock at the old price, because it looks like IHI has added $1500+ to the retail price of their turbos!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790154
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-01, 10:19 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Holy jeebus! Looks like IHI really wants to make sure they don't sell any more turbos to the aftermarket.

The unfortunate thing is that the low price of the IHI turbos is what helped to keep Garret and the other alternatives affordable.
Old 2005-07-01, 11:15 AM   #3
sonicsuby
Wagon Ho #2

I say we buy all the remaining stock we can at place like gruppe-s, then wait till the new turbo prices hit and start selling turbos that are brand new, only selling them at way decreased prices from the new IHI prices
sonicsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-01, 11:41 AM   #4
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

It looks like gruppe-s has already started raising prices. They used to sell VF-34s for under $700, now they are $900.

Matt you are sitting on a goldmine! In another few months you can sell the VF-34, and with the money buy a big deadbolt turbo and pay for all the installation and tuning!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-01, 12:07 PM   #5
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Man, this was hinted at, but I didn't think the price was going to be this much

Damn,
Old 2005-07-01, 12:11 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
It looks like gruppe-s has already started raising prices. They used to sell VF-34s for under $700, now they are $900.

Matt you are sitting on a goldmine! In another few months you can sell the VF-34, and with the money buy a big deadbolt turbo and pay for all the installation and tuning!
That assumes anyone will ever want an IHI turbo now. Why get a VF34 when you can grab a GT30 and have it installed for the same price!? IHI's only gonna make money because Subaru will probably still buy them for their OEM turbos.

...and whatever happened to Subaru trying to become the only source for IHI turbos? Weren't they in some negotiation to be the sole reseller of IHI's?
Old 2005-07-01, 12:13 PM   #7
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
...and whatever happened to Subaru trying to become the only source for IHI turbos? Weren't they in some negotiation to be the sole reseller of IHI's?
That what I remember hearing. I'm thinking this might have something to do with it. IHI retains the rights to sell them, but now they sell them for more if Subaru guarantees to buy a certain amount world wide wholesale.
Old 2005-07-01, 12:36 PM   #8
Evo Mike
EJ251

yeah i heard about that a while back.. but didnt' expect that crazy of a price! ryan just switched to a vf34 and absolutely loves it.. anyway, if anyone else wants is lookin for one, i think i know someone who has one