Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2007-12-03, 01:55 PM   #1
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Show your support for SCCA & SECCS: VOTE!!!

OK, I am the only one running for a contested position, but I think it is important that the Reno SCCA understands the level of engagement and contribution this group, SECCS, makes to the club even if you don't vote for me.

In person voting will be this Wed. night, December 5th, at 6:45 p.m. at Austin's Restaurant, 7671 S. Virginia St., Reno.

If you can't vote in person, I encourage you to cut and paste the ballot bellow and follow the instructions to email it to Patty. It won't take but a minute or two.

And if you don't already subscribe to the Reno SCCA Yahoo group, I encourage you to do so. It is very low volume so it won't fill up your inbox and it will keep you up to date on Region happenings.

To enroll, just send an Email to: RenoSCCA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Ballot From Reno SCCA Yahoo group
To all members in good standing of Reno Region SCCA,

As required by our by-laws, the official Annual Meeting of Reno Region of the SCCA will be Wednesday, December 5th, at 6:45 p.m. at Austin's Restaurant, 7671 S. Virginia St., Reno. Elections for 2008 officers and directors will take place at the Annual Meeting. The official ballot is in the November issue of our newsletter, Road & Tach (posted on our website, renoscca.org), along with details about the ways you can vote: by mail, by proxy, in person at the Annual Meeting, or online. To vote online, mark your selections on this e-mail and forward it to our Secretary, Patty Evans, at pevans@renoscca.org, no later than December 4th. Write-in votes are welcome, and additional nominations may be made at the Annual Meeting. All ballots, except those cast at the Annual Meeting, must show the name of the person voting.

ON-LINE BALLOT
Reno Region SCCA
Election of 2008 Officers and Directors
To vote for a position, place an X beside one name or fill in a write-in name)

Your name:
(required unless you vote in person at the Annual Meeting)

REGIONAL EXECUTIVE
Jim Gandy
write-in:

ASSISTANT REGIONAL EXECUTIVE
Randy Jones
write-in:

SECRETARY
Debbie Kerswill
write-in:

TREASURER
Doug Driver
write-in:

ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR, SOLO & RALLY
Matt Roy
write-in:

ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR, TRACK EVENTS
Dave Deborde
write-in:

DIRECTOR AT LARGE, 2008-2009 (vote for one)
Dean Benz
Jim Uchytil
write-in:

DIRECTOR AT LARGE, 2008
Don Smith
write-in:

__._,_.___
Old 2007-12-03, 08:14 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Dean the food at Austin's sucks balls but I bet you will win for the simple fact that no one can pronounce Jim Uchytil.
Old 2007-12-03, 08:53 PM   #3
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Dean the food at Austin's sucks balls but I bet you will win for the simple fact that no one can pronounce Jim Uchytil.
Its not that hard. Its pronounced Uchytil.
Old 2007-12-03, 09:48 PM   #4
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I think Dean vs. Jim could be a very close vote, it is important that all members excercise their vote on this one.
Old 2007-12-04, 08:30 AM   #5
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Uh, damn. I suppose that I need a current SCCA membership, right? Since I don't have one, Dean gets my pretend vote.
Old 2007-12-04, 09:40 AM   #6
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

We should set up cones in Austin's parking lot and Dean and Jim can race for the position
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 09:42 AM   #7
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
We should set up cones in Austin's parking lot and Dean and Jim can race for the position
Race tires or street tires?
Old 2007-12-04, 10:13 AM   #8
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Race tires or street tires?
whatever comes stock on a shopping cart.
Old 2007-12-05, 10:47 PM   #9
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Thank you to all who voted. However you voted, every vote counted.

Apparently in the email vote it was only 1 vote difference and after the in person vote, I won, I think by 3 votes.

Matt also led us in a great discussion of the possible changes to the supplemental regulations, AKA the region's autocross rules. I think we have a proposal that will make as many people as happy as possible while still allowing as much competition as each driver wants.

The gist of the current proposal is to still run race and street tires together, but score them separately for season points. We will still publish the .968 multiplied "street tire modifier" information so drivers can compare times if they so choose, but it will not be used officially for season trophies.

So at the end of the year, there will be separate trophies for each both in class and for PAX. e.g. 1st-whatever in BS and 1st-whatever in TBS, etc... as well as 1st-3rd in race tire PAX and 13s-3rd in Street Tire PAX.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:17 PM   #10
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Yep, that sums it up...SO we're likely going to decrease direct competition to make things seem more fair. I still would have prefered we just change the street tire modifier, but at this point, I welcome anything that will allow us to move on. I have fun no matter what class I race in, I wish more people could do the same. Honestly though, I'm excited for a change, now I just have to decide whether to race street tires or race tires...hmmm.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:22 PM   #11
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Race tires baby!

I just wish I remembered how to spell Uchytil
Old 2007-12-05, 11:25 PM   #12
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

Edited because my internet suxors.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:31 PM   #13
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Race tires baby!

I just wish I remembered how to spell Uchytil
That's why Patty only had you write Jim U. or Dean B.

I figure MikeK voted for Jim because it was one less letter and he didn't want to waste any ink. He wouldn't have voted at all, but as he is an ill legal this was his only real chance to do so.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:42 PM   #14
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I think either of you would have made a good director at large, but I am pleased with the outcome. The board looks like it'll be a good mix. Next year is looking pretty exciting too. I will somewhat miss the ability to jump back and forth between street and race tires (and stay in the same class it is), but I can't wait to experiment with some race tires
Old 2007-12-05, 11:47 PM   #15
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

I really should probably start saving for my k**t...
Old 2007-12-06, 12:30 AM   #16
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Man, now I can't steal the trophy from Nick.
Old 2007-12-06, 09:59 AM   #17
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Man, now I can't steal the trophy from Nick.
You can if you come to the banquet next year
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 10:15 AM   #18
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
...Matt also led us in a great discussion of the possible changes to the supplemental regulations, AKA the region's autocross rules. I think we have a proposal that will make as many people as happy as possible while still allowing as much competition as each driver wants.
Seconded!
Matt, you did a great job facilitating that discussion. Maybe you should think about politics someday!

I was sorry we had to leave before the end of the rules discussion. Anything else interesting come up regarding Novice class, or limiting RNP entries, or anything else?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 10:19 AM   #19
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Speaking of the supps discussion....

I'm actually pretty disappointed. Mostly because there are a ton of street tire drivers (I'm looking at you SECCS) that weren't represented at the meeting. I think the SCCA is getting man-handled by the minority of louder race tire folks, and competition will suffer because of it. While I understand their point that integrated street tire classes reduces the "purity" of racing under the SCCA national rules, and while I understand that providing a national-like environment is crucial to helping the development of national level drivers from our region, I think in general it's a disservice to the majority of members as we are reducing overall competition to coddle those that are making the effort to show up to the meetings and be heard.

So, I'm not sure how I feel, or how I will vote as a board member when the supps proposals are in. Like I said, I think splitting ST from RT is the wrong solution to the problem, but since I'm trying to focus on trials/race, it's not going to really effect me... I will probably simply go along with the changes anyway.

We really need feedback from the folks that are going to be effected by these changes, and when 2/3rd of the region are on street tires at the track, but there's only 2 or 3 street tire people (out of about 50 total) at the meetings, you guys are going to get screwed. Please, if you care about the SCCA, send your opinions to the newsletter or mailing list, or at the least let me know how you feel so I can tell the board "I've heard from 10 people that are really upset, or really support these changes". My goal as a board member is to attempt to keep the rules such that they reflect the majority of the member's wishes. Granted, not everyone will be happy, but at least guys, don't just let stuff happen to your club without chipping in your 2 cents.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:19 AM   #20
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
...now I just have to decide whether to race street tires or race tires...hmmm.
Maybe instead of Hoosiers, you'll want to try some Kumhos, they may last longer on the STi.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 10:20 AM   #21
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Seems like Novice class is going to be pretty much unchanged. The unofficial Novice Committee is going to work on a way to give/sell/lease magnetic numbers to Novices so they have a single number for the whole year to ease registration.

RNP will not be unilaterally denied in the afternoons, and will remain at the Event Chair's discretion it seems.

The work exemption for drivers over 65 will probably also remain at the discretion of the Event Chair. Senior and disabled drivers will be permitted not to work if there is sufficient coverage to run the event safely and efficiently.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:25 AM   #22
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

We didn't really go over any novice stuff, except that the numbers need to get bigger. We didn't really go over it due to time. RNPs won't be limited in the supps, but we are looking at explicitly spelling out that it is at the discretion of event chairs to limit RNPs if needed.

The Pro class sounds like its gone due to low participation, and with the street tire and open being separated, there really isn't a great need for the class anymore.

Mark's suggestion that RNP only entries early in the day be eligible for PAX was shot down due to a concern that people will only show up for the optimal times for their cars, and heavily skew the participation towards one part of the day.

Also, the suggestion that members over 65 don't have to work will probably not be included as a supp, but again, likely to be up to registration and the event chairs.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:26 AM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Speaking of the supps discussion....

I'm actually pretty disappointed. Mostly because there are a ton of street tire drivers (I'm looking at you SECCS) that weren't represented at the meeting. I think the SCCA is getting man-handled by the minority of louder race tire folks, and competition will suffer because of it. While I understand their point that integrated street tire classes reduces the "purity" of racing under the SCCA national rules, and while I understand that providing a national-like environment is crucial to helping the development of national level drivers from our region, I think in general it's a disservice to the majority of members as we are reducing overall competition to coddle those that are making the effort to show up to the meetings and be heard.

So, I'm not sure how I feel, or how I will vote as a board member when the supps proposals are in. Like I said, I think splitting ST from RT is the wrong solution to the problem, but since I'm trying to focus on trials/race, it's not going to really effect me... I will probably simply go along with the changes anyway.

We really need feedback from the folks that are going to be effected by these changes, and when 2/3rd of the region are on street tires at the track, but there's only 2 or 3 street tire people (out of about 50 total) at the meetings, you guys are going to get screwed. Please, if you care about the SCCA, send your opinions to the newsletter or mailing list, or at the least let me know how you feel so I can tell the board "I've heard from 10 people that are really upset, or really support these changes". My goal as a board member is to attempt to keep the rules such that they reflect the majority of the member's wishes. Granted, not everyone will be happy, but at least guys, don't just let stuff happen to your club without chipping in your 2 cents.
I think there are two roots to the anti-ST positions. One, that it's not "fair" for people who spend the money on race tires to get beat by those without them, period. That's the answer I got from Peggy anyway. Second, and I think this is the bigger issue, some of the race tire competitiors are looking for a level of competition that this region simply can not yet provide because we're too small. Looking at the season standings, nearly all of our dominant drivers are from well outside what would be considered the Reno area. Or they drive karts.

I brought up my opinion that there are basically 3 camps of people in the region- those who run when they can and don't really care about the supps. Those who want to measure themselves agaisnt the highest level of competition, and those who want to be as good as they can, but aren't all about winning. Most of us here fall into the last one, including myself. So if the race tire camp wants to take their ball and go home, fine. I'm still going to show up and go home knowing I'm a better driver than 80-90% of them, even if they can never believe that.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:33 AM   #24
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You can if you come to the banquet next year
I already have street tires (RE01R's) for next year and Nick's going to run race tires so we won't be in the same class with the new supps now right?
Old 2007-12-06, 10:43 AM   #25
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I already have street tires (RE01R's) for next year and Nick's going to run race tires so we won't be in the same class with the new supps now right?
Swing and a miss dude.