Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-10-27, 03:19 PM   #1
GarySheehan
EJ22

Never let the driver work on the car...
Default 2003 USTCC Cali Speedway In-Car Video on DVD

I finally got my first DVD ready to go. It's the full race from California Speedway. There is a camera pointed out the front window and a camera pointed at the driver, side by side on the screen. So you can see what the car is doing and what I am doing at the same time.

I sent a copy of it to sdecker on NASIOC and here is what he had to say in his review:

---------------------------------------

OK, the DVD gets a big thumbs up on several fronts!

PACKAGING: Nicely done. The DVD has a professional looking color label on the front, clearly indicating what this DVD contains. It's not the cheesy crap you buy off E-bay either. It looks very very nice.

VIDEO: Excellent! Nice wide-screen format. The split screen driver/windshield view was excellent. Even my (9 year old) son commented on how cool it was to be able to see the steering inputs and how they related to what was happening on track. I have no complaints with the video quality when watched in full screen on my 21" computer monitor. (I will attempt to watch it on the big screen tonight. )

AUDIO: The audio quality is outstanding. I could clearly hear when your tires started to give up the ghost at about halfway through the race. You fought them hard but by three-quarters of the way through they were DONE. Engine sounds are great but I found the tire noise most impressive. I can capture engine sounds in my videos too, but the subtle traction stuff I can't do. Nice work!

TECHNICAL: Again, excellent. The cameras were nice and steady throughout. The video editing was nicely done, even including a handy menu on the front of the disc. I had no problems at all playing it on PowerDVD 4.0 on my computer. All menu items worked as they should have. It's not Speed Channel in-car quality, but then again Gary doesn't have that kind of budget. In my opinion, you couldn't ask for a better learning tool than this, short of a full time instructor in your car. All the elements are there if you know what to look for.

MISCELLANEOUS: The trailer after the cool down lap was excellent. I thought it was going to be boring at first (you know, standard cool down lap), but honestly I thought the video captured your emotions very well, Gary. On a different note, I also caught your emotions regarding a couple of cars. Did you speak to the guy driving the silver CRX afterwards, and how about the *other* one?

AS A LEARNING TOOL: Absolutely outstanding. Just what I was looking for. I'm telling you people that unless you are already at Gary's level then you have something to learn here. Braking under bumps, quick transition moves, passing, late braking, varying apexes according to track conditions, it's pretty much all there. If you are an aspiring road racer like me, you *NEED* to watch this. There is an extraordinary amount of feedback to be gained if you keep an open mind to what you are seeing.

BUSINESS: Very classy inclusion of your major sponsors. They are 'front and center' throughout, but amazingly, they fade into the background when the action gets good. As soon as the action fades back, BAM -- there the sponsors are again. I can't imagine a much better scenario.

OVERALL RATING: Totally off the hook! I'm not really a '10 out of 10' kind of guy, so I'll give this a 9.5. If Gary chooses to sell this, you should buy it! Sign me up for the other rounds, Gary.

TWO BIG ASS THUMBS UP!!!

Scott

------------------------------------------

It should be good for a few laughs on this site with some of the driving errors I make during the race.

The DVD-R will play in all computer based DVD-ROM drives and RW drives and will play in most newer (1-2 year old) home entertainment DVD players.

Here is a clip from the DVD... http://www.teamsmr.com/movies/2003%2...20Speedway.wmv

I haven't updated my website with this information yet. If you are interested in getting a copy, send me an email at gary@teamsmr.com

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com[/url]
GarySheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-31, 01:18 PM   #2
STIwish
EJ251

ooo.. I want, I could learn a lot from you! (like how not to total my car)