Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-10-06, 12:54 PM   #26
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Car: 05 Legacy GT, 81 RX7

I want one with the Subaru badge and AWD!!!!!!
Tahoe C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 12:56 PM   #27
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
I don't know if I am a fan of the zipper themed interior.
It's a concept car. They get crazy interior treatments.
Old 2009-10-06, 01:16 PM   #28
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Where's the waiting list, I'm in.
Old 2009-10-06, 01:41 PM   #29
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

I like it...a lot! Too bad I won't be able to afford one haha...
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 01:46 PM   #30
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
I like it...a lot! Too bad I won't be able to afford one haha...
They should be cheaper than the WRX.
Old 2009-10-06, 02:09 PM   #31
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Let's hope the Subaru version gets different headlights.
Old 2009-10-07, 11:18 AM   #32
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

I'm not so down with the interior either, but I'm liking the coupe. Will it be turbo'd or no? If so, why wouldn't it be more/the same as a WRX?
Old 2009-10-07, 11:21 AM   #33
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

The Toyota version above will be naturally aspirated. No word on whether the Subaru version (if they make one) will have a turbo (and/or AWD for that matter).

I'm guessing the Toyota model will be around 18k-20k, maybe less if they really want to make it the new AE86.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2009-10-07 at 11:24 AM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 01:14 PM   #34
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
The Toyota version above will be naturally aspirated. No word on whether the Subaru version (if they make one) will have a turbo (and/or AWD for that matter).

I'm guessing the Toyota model will be around 18k-20k, maybe less if they really want to make it the new AE86.
It'll probably eek in at just under $25k. Then you'll option it out with basic stuff for over $30k. But on paper, right now the rumor is that it should be cheaper (and slower for that matter, at least in a straight line) than a WRX.

This car is really competition for the Miata, RX-8, S2000. Think of it as a budget sports car, probably a cheaper and slower than those cars listed... maybe even think of it as a Scion'd Miata with immediate popularity in the "tuner scene". Which is why I'd like the Subaru version to be beefed up and more expensive... so the "lifestyle" types stay away from it meaning I can drive one around town w/o getting raced by every brodawg out there.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:41 PM   #35
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Scott, we all know you're the one doing the racing.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:47 PM   #36
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Scott, we all know you're the one doing the racing.
Pretty much any family sedan built within the last 10 years is faster than my SVX. I'm not enough of a glutton for punishment to go around trying to race everyone.
Old 2009-10-07, 11:42 PM   #37
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
They should be cheaper than the WRX.
I still won't be able to afford one lol. I like all wheel drive and can't afford two cars.

So is it the image that you are worried about or do you really get the "race rev" and attention from other drivers around town? Because even with my exhaust, gold wheels, and all windows rolled down I have been revved at once since I have had the car...
Old 2009-10-08, 01:21 AM   #38
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

Quote:
I don't know if I am a fan of the zipper themed interior.
You mean you don't love the wafer-thin seats? What the hell are they made of, the hopes and dreams of the designers?
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:37 AM   #39
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobwoot View Post
You mean you don't love the wafer-thin seats? What the hell are they made of, the hopes and dreams of the designers?
They look about twice as thick as carbon fiber race shells, and those pass FIA crash testing. But I guarantee those seats don't make it to production.
Old 2009-10-08, 09:57 AM   #40
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
I still won't be able to afford one lol. I like all wheel drive and can't afford two cars.

So is it the image that you are worried about or do you really get the "race rev" and attention from other drivers around town? Because even with my exhaust, gold wheels, and all windows rolled down I have been revved at once since I have had the car...
What I'm worried about is that the car will garner negative attention from both the ricers, and everyone else on the road.

I get people trying to race me in the SVX more than in my WRX. I'm guessing because it's relatively rare and looks fast, so people that don't know better think it's exotic and fast, which of course, it's not. Then I get clapped out hondas trying to prove themselves against me. The FT-86 kinda has a similar look, and I'd guess that until the car is commonplace, it's gonna get the same attention from the kiddies that learned all they know about cars from Gran Turismo.

My other concern is that this car will instantly become a huge fanboi car. It is, after all, the new AE86. I'm guessing it's going to be attention grabbing to all the same people that freak out whenever they see a Supra TT, or a drifted out 240sx, or an ITR, etc. So if it's affordable enough, there are going to be tons of ricers buying these things, drifting them, street racing them, making them look horrendous, etc, pretty much right away, rather than 8 years down the road the way the WRX went. I like the FT-86, but I'd like one that's a little more incognito and/or exclusive... which is what I'm hoping the Subaru version will be. I don't want the negative attention the car will get from everyone else if it's the ricer car de jour.

I'm probably being a little stuck up about it... but I'm already bitter about the way popularity has ruined so many WRXs to the point where every other WRX out there is a noise belching eyesore and insurance rates are bonkers. I guess I should be buying a Porsche. But then I'd have to deal with the Porsche douches... and pay way too much for that privilege... but at least I'd have a terrific car that flies under the radar except to the people that know enough to know the difference between the ubiquitous 996 base model 911 that you see everywhere and a 997 C4S.
Old 2009-10-08, 10:24 AM   #41
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Well, I definitely know where you are coming from and I understand that you are unwilling to be lumped into that group of kids. I don't really think it is a stuck up point of view, hell I think there are a million WRX's out there with a bunch of kids who don't know how to drive and love to just be obscene and draw attention (I'm hopefully excluding myself from this group ), and I don't like being tossed into that group because I'm 21.

I don't know if that car will get the same notoriety as a Supra TT or a 240 thats all "drifted out". They said that the Genesis Coupe was going to be the new Corolla AE86 and the new hot tuner scene car. And I have seen one on the road. Luckily I think we are a little out of the loop for "trends". I thought with the new prototype that the Subaru version was going to be worldwide and the Toyota version was only going to be in Japan. Which should help, because I still think that the Subaru name is sort of downplayed because I think more "young" kids would rather brandish the Honda or Mitsubihi logo. That my take at least.

I think that every car group has the negative connotation so where ever you go you are going to get the labels and douchbags who tarnish the name. Tuners are wreckless kids who love blow off valves and loud exhasut. Porsches are always considered pricks, Ferrari's are the same way. Anybody driving a domestic has a mullet and hates every import, lifted trucks are tools, and so on. I think if you want a neutral car you are going to have to get a Mazda 3 sedan thats white and leave it stock. I guess it's just which derogatory group would you like to be placed in... The young punk kids, the old geysers, or the middle aged flamboyants? (I'm not saying that I relate the above groups as I stated, but they all seem to be the general views).
Old 2009-10-08, 11:24 AM   #42
bigrobwoot
EJ251

I'm not saying the seats aren't plenty safe, but they don't look comfortable at all. It's like sitting in one of those plastic chairs from elementary school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I get people trying to race me in the SVX more than in my WRX. I'm guessing because it's relatively rare and looks fast, so people that don't know better think it's exotic and fast, which of course, it's not.
It looks fast cuz it looks like a space ship.
Old 2009-10-08, 11:36 AM   #43
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

This car could draw attention, and flat-brimmers (if Ken Block gets one) away from the Impreza. Much like the WRX did for the DSM, leaving only the true enthusiasts. Either way this car will only help draw attention away from the Impreza. Needless to say Rufus and I are not looking forward to that.

I want to know what Toyota is thinking building this car. Marketing it as a replacement for the AE86 they must know that yuppies are going to be drifting these cars into every object above ground. I'd be willing to bet Toyota designs the suspension to understeer. The great thing about the original 86 is that it wasn't built to be a sports car. It was built as an eco box, but it turned into a fantastic drivers car. With the FT-86 they've designed a sports car, it should not carry the 86 name. It's like Lotus building a 200mph car and calling it an the new Elise. Colin Chapman would be pissed.

Ken Block sucks.

Last edited by Bob Danger; 2009-10-08 at 11:40 AM. Reason: i suck at teh speeling...
Bob Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 11:42 AM   #44
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Well, in Toyota's defense, I doubt they care what people do with them after they buy them. Plus, if people wreck them, then they will want another one!
Old 2009-10-08, 12:19 PM   #45
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobwoot View Post
Well, in Toyota's defense, I doubt they care what people do with them after they buy them. Plus, if people wreck them, then they will want another one!
They care because they have to warranty it. It's going to be just like Mitsubishi and the Evolution.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:27 PM   #46
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Old 2009-10-08, 12:42 PM   #47
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Danger View Post
ABS disable for Auto-X? I'm better the one on the left is the traction control override.

This car is likely to be a class killer unless it goes straight into street-prepared.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:58 PM   #48
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

On paper, I don't see anything that suggests it's going to blow the RX8 out of B stock, and nothing with that level of horsepower is an SS or AS contender.
Old 2009-10-08, 01:01 PM   #49
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

What about the NOS button?
Old 2009-10-08, 01:06 PM   #50
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
What about the NOS button?
The inevitable floorboard delete mod will bump it to Modified, so no problem there.

Also, further reflection indicates that this would be a competitive but not dominant CS car, unless it manages to be lighter than the Solstice/Sky and MX5 while using wider wheels and not having shite suspension geometry.