Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-09-16, 02:32 PM   #1
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe
Default Back from Nationals

I got back on Saturday, and John & Patty got back yesterday. What a blast!!! I wish all of you could go because you would see 1000+ amazing vehicles, and you would have a chance to meet and visit with some of the best autocrossers in the nation, and you'd have seen some amazing setups.

Guess what - 2003's STX champion is 'KC' on nasioc, and is driving a wagon! It CAN be done!

thursday, day 1, was rainy, drizzly (John's run group), then overcast with wet pavement in heat 4 & part of heat 5 (Patty and me), then we had a downpour for our 3rd and last run. I wish I could get my hands on some pictures of that 3rd run group, because it was totally unbelievable -- we were driving a water-cross instead of an autocross, and it was literally a 'sea' of cones. Some cones began to float away! Many drivers in heat 5 gave up their 3rd runs -- or DNF'd because they simply were not able to stay on course, you could hardly see where the course was.

Now, there WAS an unfortunate incident in heat 4 which delayed our 5th heat - where 2 cars collided. I had never heard of this happening in an autocross before, so the situation was pretty shocking. If you want to hear more about it, ask me Thursday or this weekend.

Patty was 2nd in DSL, a very close .4 seconds behind the driver favored to win the class, a lady who races in Spec Miatas at home in Seattle (and drove a bmw 330i to victory here; her husband driving the same car, won DStock). I came in 3rd of 5, which I was happy with, driving faster than the other 2 ladies who have been to Nationals before. Patty & John's wrx was a blast to drive, it is really hooked up nicely, and while it was dry the Hoosiers had amazing grip. Next year - I might fall prey to the Hoosier-crack-pipe.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-16, 02:39 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Welcome back! Congrats on 3rd place!! Not bad for a "tire warmer" and aparent "sea captain".

Sorry to hear about that accident! :shock: I'll definately need some details on Thurdsay!

How'd John do? Well enough to put off goin back to Miatas next season?

If you go to Hoosiers, I'm gonna start a 12 step Hoosiers rehab program, so start saving your money... oh wait, you won't have any money due to said Hoosiers....
Old 2003-09-16, 02:50 PM   #3
dknv
EJ207

Thanks!
John was in an unfortunate spot on thursday. It rained in his run group, he had to switch to street tires and was outperformed by other drivers who had performance rain tires. He drove well on Friday, but was not able to close the gap from Thursday. He is somewhere below the trophy spots in D-Stock. And they are still talking about going back to the Miata.

Yeah I won't have any $$$ due to Hoosiers, and upgraded shocks too.
Old 2003-09-17, 08:59 AM   #4
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

So where are final results for the whole event posted?
Old 2003-09-17, 03:40 PM   #5
dknv
EJ207

Results
http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/na...lts/index.html
Old 2003-09-17, 05:32 PM   #6
Theo
EJ22

Congratulations Debbie. Sounds like a fun time. I wish I could have come!

Theo