Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Vendor Correspondence

Vendor Correspondence Press releases, announcements, sales and official correspondence from vendors in the local community.

Old 2009-02-16, 12:07 AM   #1
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Default 3-Port Boost Solenoid - GrimmSpeed Product Release

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=145

Price: 109.99

GrimmSpeed introduces the most complete and easy to use 3-Port Electronic Boost Solenoid available on the market. Our aftermarket boost controller allows you to raise the OEM boost levels in a quick and efficient manner. If you try to raise the boost on the weak OEM boost solenoid it will start to become unpredictable and unable to maintain proper and safe boost levels. Using our solenoid you are able to spool your turbo quicker and maintain a rock solid boost level. We have made our solenoid to withstand 120psi, way more than any Subaru will see.

Revolutionizing the Subaru boost solenoid market, we have created model specific install brackets that allow you to directly fit our Boost Solenoid into your Subaru for a factory fit. No more Zip-tying! We give you the factory fitment you have been waiting for.

Staying with the OEM fitment theme, our Boost Solenoid uses a Subaru style wiring harness so you can simply unplug your OEM solenoid andplug ours in. No more cutting the oem wiring and crimping wires together!

Also new to the Subaru boost solenoid market, we have used ultra low-profile hose fittings to keep the unit as small and clean as possible. The hose fittings are nickel plated brass so you don't have to worry about them snapping off like the plastic hose fittings!

Features:
  • Direct plug and play into oem wiring.
    MAC Valve has completely custom made the valve for us(only MAC valve on the market to be custom made for automotive tuning use).
  • Users can use AN fittings with the solenoid.
  • Mounting bracket so its a direct bolt on into factory location.
  • Low-profile brass hose fittings(small in size so its compact, no chance of breaking fittings like the plastic ones our competitors use).
  • Specifically designed by GrimmSpeed to work safely with the factory Subaru ECU (requires tuning) and to reliably handle the vibrations and temperatures of your engine bay!
  • The only direct “bolt in” design for all Subaru models. Direct bolt in mounting bracket and hardware included! (specify which model before ordering)
  • Includes plug and play harness, no wire splicing required and easy to return to stock.
  • Allows you to raise the factory boost levels with adding more response and more control.
  • Allows you to get full boost sooner.
  • Faster response and greater flow than any other valve out there. (by more than 10%!)
  • Nickel plated brass fittings. (unlike the competitors failure prone plastic fittings)

This BCS will handle all your boost control needs no matter what your power goals are.

Easy for your shop or tuner to tune!

3 bracket variations fit all Turbo Subaru models!

Solenoid and Bracket attached to 05+ LGT and 08+ WRX OEM bracket

Solenoid and Bracket attached to 08+ STi OEM Bracket

Tuner's comments
AWD Tuning:
"The GS 3 port boost control solenoid provides rapid boost response while maintaining the ability to make acute adjustments via turbo dynamics. While many other boost control solenoids react to adjustments too fast which can make them difficult to control with as much finesse as the stock bleed system. This solenoid can make micro-adjustments at the edge of target boost not only providing better spool, but overall more control. Additionally, the solenoid is plug n' play so you do not have to splice into the wiring harness for it's installation. "

Bullwinkle Tuning:
"The GrimmSpeed BCS is a compact, well designed unit. It's design as a 3-port solenoid provides better boost control then the stock bleed-type style. The unit is easy to tune for, as it behaves like many of the other 3-port solenoids already on the market.

Often, this enables a tuner to cut mapped wastegate duty cycles in half. This change in WGDC gives a tuner more granularity when tuning, and can yield much improved boost curves. In addition, the 3-port design often significantly improves spool.

Lastly, the GrimmSpeed BCS is almost silent when acting in the engine bay, unlike some of it's competitors. A great product, one I would recommend."

PRICE: 109.99

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 2009-02-17 at 01:16 PM.
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 12:34 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Care to comment on the use of this bcs with a Hydra ecu?
Old 2009-02-16, 12:40 AM   #3
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Care to comment on the use of this bcs with a Hydra ecu?

We havent used it with a Hydra yet, however MAC valves are used with both the AEM and Hondata standalones. Our valve is a completely custom valve(we had MAC make it to our liking) while the aem and hondata valves are just off the shelf MAC valves.
Old 2009-02-17, 01:26 PM   #4
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

For all those of you who want to get this at the lowest price you'll ever see it at, one of our dealers(AWD Tuning) is running the product release group buy right now over on nasioc. Get in while you can!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...0#post25623280

Justin
Old 2009-02-17, 01:45 PM   #5
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

How does this compare to the Perrin EBCS?
Old 2009-02-19, 08:09 AM   #6
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
How does this compare to the Perrin EBCS?

the perrin is similar(not identical) to the solenoid in the first post.
Old 2009-02-25, 09:04 PM   #7
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

hey guys..nasioc now has over 100 people in the group buy. you will want to get in it asap if you want to get your hands on one of these before we run out of stock.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1701710
Old 2009-04-03, 07:08 AM   #8
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Alright good news, as of this morning our BCS is back in stock and ready to ship!

Justin
Old 2009-04-03, 08:04 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

One of these days (aka after I get my GT52 installed and the car is ready to actually be tuned) I'll pick one of these up.

But I'm still not sure how well the Hydra is going to work with it... Justin, have you heard of anyone yet using your BCS with the Hydra EMS?
Old 2009-04-03, 09:41 AM   #10
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
One of these days (aka after I get my GT52 installed and the car is ready to actually be tuned) I'll pick one of these up.

But I'm still not sure how well the Hydra is going to work with it... Justin, have you heard of anyone yet using your BCS with the Hydra EMS?

No one comes to mind but i'm 99% sure it will work just fine.

Justin
Old 2009-04-03, 09:47 AM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
No one comes to mind but i'm 99% sure it will work just fine.

Justin
I'm not really concerned that the Hydra won't be able to work with it... I'm just concerned that since the hardest thing to tune w/ the Hydra is the boost control, that the only reference info out there is tuning the stock BCS. I'm not sure I'm qualified to try to blaze a new trail w/ a different BCS considering I'm just running a MBC right now because I don't even know enough to tune the stock BCS!

Basically, I'm hoping to find someone that's used the Hydra/Grimmspeed BCS combo before so they can give me some pointers on tuning for it.
Old 2009-04-06, 09:42 AM   #12
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Scott, Ed and his two mechanics were at my place this weekend and I asked them for their opinion on this. Ed said you should just run a Hallman MBC and I let him know you already were but wanted the Hydra to control it. He reiterated that he'd just run the Hallman since the Hydra sucks at controlling boost. He said if you really want to burn the money, you could also run a standalone EBC. He mentioned a brand like AZX or something...I can't recall. But they're like $4-$500.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll still try to using a solenoid controlled by the Hydra. Adam suggested that he had heard that the newest Hydra is better for controlling boost...not sure if you can upgrade firmware or anything.
Old 2009-04-06, 10:06 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Scott, Ed and his two mechanics were at my place this weekend and I asked them for their opinion on this. Ed said you should just run a Hallman MBC and I let him know you already were but wanted the Hydra to control it. He reiterated that he'd just run the Hallman since the Hydra sucks at controlling boost. He said if you really want to burn the money, you could also run a standalone EBC. He mentioned a brand like AZX or something...I can't recall. But they're like $4-$500.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll still try to using a solenoid controlled by the Hydra. Adam suggested that he had heard that the newest Hydra is better for controlling boost...not sure if you can upgrade firmware or anything.
Actually, I'm in no rush to go to electronic boost control, aside from the cool things you can do with backup maps, anti-lag, etc. But like you said, you need the 2.6 Nemesis version for multiple boost maps... which is a hardware upgrade, not just software.

MikeW at GST recommended the MBC for the Hydra, since tuning boost on the Hydra is known to be a chore. But ultimately, going back to an EBC should be more versatile... the only question is whether or not the work in getting it to run properly is going to be worth it. For a track car, probably not, but a $100 BCS is pretty cheap and it's easy to leave the MBC in the car and swap between the two. And since I've already got a standalone ECU, I can just play with it at will.
Old 2009-04-06, 10:18 AM   #14
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

So your goal is to play with your expensive racecar. Got it.
Old 2009-04-06, 10:55 AM   #15
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
So your goal is to play with your expensive racecar. Got it.
Well, that kinda is the whole point of it. It is a toy. It's not like I'm getting paid to drive it or something.
Old 2009-10-05, 10:25 AM   #16
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

our EBCS hose fittings work with -AN fittings as well!!

Old 2010-05-05, 02:32 PM   #17
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

[youtube]H9KSMr0q0uY[/youtube]

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 2010-05-25 at 03:22 PM.
Old 2010-06-11, 08:51 AM   #18
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

If anybody has any questions about these let us know, we also just got a bunch back in stock!

Will