Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-04-13, 04:12 PM   #1
norbeaster
EJ18

Car: 04 WRX JBP

If you don't life life on the edge, your taking up too much space.
Default Break ins / Thefts in Kings Row, Elmcrest Area

Well I came out to my car this morning to discover a large log and rock laying next to my passenger door. Some quick inspection uncoverd some idiot's attempt to break in to my WRX. They cracked the upper corner of my window trying to pry it open thus messing up the window track along with all the moulding across the top of the door frame...
After they realized that they were too stupid to break in to one of the easiest cars out there to unlock from the ouside, they proceeded to try and smash the window with the rock which was only sucessful in scratching the shit out of it.
All in all I guess I made out ok, they didnt get in to the car which housed a $6,000 DH bike and my Ipod. But I'm still pissed! It was right outside of my window but being in my drunken easter slumber I didn't hear a thing.
Anyone else have issues in this area for vandalism to vehicles/property?
norbeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 04:28 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Why didn't your alarm go off? I bump my car walking by and it honks at me.
Old 2009-04-13, 04:36 PM   #3
wildfirefli
EJ22

Do you have an alarm? I'm sorry. That is really depressing. Sounds like some real tools. Insurance gonna cover it?
wildfirefli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 05:44 PM   #4
norbeaster
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Why didn't your alarm go off? I bump my car walking by and it honks at me.
It's not on as far as I know... I don’t have a remote for it but the alarm does arm itself when the doors are locked and the security light on the dash blinks, I have no idea why it didn’t go off.

They were tools for sure.. I just have liability on the car since it is salvaged but the more that I think about it, when I finally finish it I'm gonna go with some higher coverage to protect from any non sence like this.
Just a real frustrating scenario... I take 2 steps forward and then get f'ed and take 3 steps back in trying to make this car look nice.

Last edited by norbeaster; 2009-04-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2009-04-13, 08:17 PM   #5
scootyc
EJ18

Car: '08 LGT

Hit it, it's clear!

damn, that is a bummer. Thank you for the heads up though, i have friends that live around there and i am only a couple streets away. Probably just an isolated incident, but times are tough and people are desperate.
scootyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 08:49 PM   #6
norbeaster
EJ18

I spoke with the police today and they said there were 15 reported break-ins in this area within the same night.
Old 2009-04-14, 08:06 AM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbeaster View Post
It's not on as far as I know... I don’t have a remote for it but the alarm does arm itself when the doors are locked and the security light on the dash blinks, I have no idea why it didn’t go off.

They were tools for sure.. I just have liability on the car since it is salvaged but the more that I think about it, when I finally finish it I'm gonna go with some higher coverage to protect from any non sence like this.
Just a real frustrating scenario... I take 2 steps forward and then get f'ed and take 3 steps back in trying to make this car look nice.
When the red light on the dash blinks, that actually means that you're in valet mode. If you have the OEM alarm, you should have an extra horn mounted at the top of the front passenger side shock tower.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:00 AM   #8
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
When the red light on the dash blinks, that actually means that you're in valet mode. If you have the OEM alarm, you should have an extra horn mounted at the top of the front passenger side shock tower.
I don't believe the factory alarm has shock or glass-break sensors anyway (maybe it's an upgrade?). It just goes off if the doors are opened w/o disarming it first. So as long as the doors stay shut, someone can beat on your car all night w/o setting off the alarm.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:09 AM   #9
Joeyy
i can has kart?

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. On a side note. Don't leave anything in your car like 6K DH bikes for "Scroats" to see. Actually, don't even leave change that can be seen.
Joeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 09:15 AM   #10
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I don't believe the factory alarm has shock or glass-break sensors anyway (maybe it's an upgrade?). It just goes off if the doors are opened w/o disarming it first. So as long as the doors stay shut, someone can beat on your car all night w/o setting off the alarm.
The OEM alarm is an upgrade. I installed mine myself after buying it for like $70 from an online dealer. It does have a shock sensor and it's adjustable. I have the sensitivity turned all the way up on my car and a swift kick to the tire or similar will usually at least give you the warning beep and may set off the alarm. Since it uses the horns, the Supertones made it even louder.

Last edited by cody; 2009-04-14 at 09:17 AM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 10:04 AM   #11
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:

This is why I carry comprehensive but no collision on my wagon. It's practically worthless, but that's still worth more than zero. So if some tool smashes me (again) or I get windshield chipping or a tree falls on it, I'll get something out of it.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:45 PM   #12
norbeaster
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
When the red light on the dash blinks, that actually means that you're in valet mode.
How do I turn that off w/o having a remote? Can I still arm the alarm with the key?

I do have the extra horn on the shock and when I lock my doors it makes the "beep" so I figured the alarm should work. I tried earlier and opening the door with the window opened while locked from the outside didn't set off the alarm. I'm all bugged out now, I want to make it as sensitive one of those cars my truck used to set off via exhaust vibration in parking garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
This is why I carry comprehensive but no collision on my wagon. It's practically worthless.

Yeah I totally agree. I had the full coverage on my Dodge Ram but of course nothing ever happened to it, but now that I buy a car the luck turns around.

The thing that gets me is I dont think they were out to get anything in particular... my windows are 5% and at night you cant see a damn thing in there. So I'm led to belive that these fools were just loosers that were out to steal chump change and mess up a nice car.
Old 2009-04-14, 01:31 PM   #13
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
How do I turn that off w/o having a remote? Can I still arm the alarm with the key?

I do have the extra horn on the shock and when I lock my doors it makes the "beep" so I figured the alarm should work. I tried earlier and opening the door with the window opened while locked from the outside didn't set off the alarm. I'm all bugged out now, I want to make it as sensitive one of those cars my truck used to set off via exhaust vibration in parking garages

Check here. I'm not sure. You also may want to keep your eye on ebay for a used fob or something. You can get them from something like subaruparts.com too.
Old 2009-04-14, 01:53 PM   #14
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I think the alarm unit is in the center console? Maybe yours is not plugged in? Cody, what red light are you talking about? Its been so long since I have been in my car.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:00 PM   #15
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

There's a light in the dash gauge cluster by the tach or something that says "security". IIRC, it flashes like once every 20 seconds or so when the alarm is armed but more quickly when in valet mode.
Old 2009-04-15, 12:23 AM   #16
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

I don't know where elmcrest is, but I used to live on Columbus off of Kings Row, and my buddy's truck got broken into in front of my house around this time last year. They broke the window, which didn't set off his alarm, but when they opened it, the alarm went off, and they took off. It was funny/lucky that they didn't take his laptop that was sitting on the seat. In fact, I remember we were studying for finals, so I guess in a couple weeks it will be the "1 year anniversary". We were awake, so we went looking for the faggots (my neighbor saw a red 4 door pontiac grand am or grand prix or grand whatever), and by dumb luck we found them on the other (south) side of McCarran on Kings Row. I turned around to follow them, they flipped out, and I followed them down McCarran to Mae Anne, and they lost me on a side street in a neighborhood. During all of this, I got their license plate number, of course (571 URG, for anyone that sees them. They also have red tint in the rear window and a McQueen sticker)

The next day, after filing a police report and having the cops basically say "go fuck yourselves, we don't care", we saw them at the BofA on Seventh and McCarran. My girlfriend was driving her brother's car, so we followed them again, and they didn't recognize us or realize they were being followed for a while. We followed them up Mae Anne again, and they realized we were following them once we got to Avenida De Landa, so they turned left, then turned left again on Eastridge and pulled over. There was three of them, they got out of their car, and one of them pulled a knife. They were in high school (tiny little shits), and they were lucky they had a knife, because I was in a fucking rage. I'm raging a little bit right now talking about it, if no one can tell by my language haha. So they pulled a knife, we called the cops, cops didn't do anything again, said that we'd have to go file a complaint, so we just left. Now that I think about it, I'd bet they were too pussy to use the knife, but I'm still glad I didn't test it.

Ironically, I moved into a house down the street from where they pulled a knife on us. My landlord said that there had been a bunch of breakins lately, but that 3 kids had been arrested for it. I was relieved, but every time I see a red pontiac, I still check the plate. I'd bet that its probably the same kids. I have a friend who went to McQueen and his brother still goes there, and it turns out that he knows who the kids were, and they do (or did) go to McQueen, and they are in ROTC.

Bottom line, I'm sorry this happened to your car, and I hope they didn't mistake it as my car and do it as a retaliation.

PS: sorry for the wall of text, I'm still a bit emotional about the whole ordeal, and I still wanna find those kids... I don't know what I would do if I did, but for some reason it would just make me feel better to know where they live if anyone I know had a car get broken into again...

Last edited by bigrobwoot; 2009-04-15 at 12:25 AM. Reason: sorry for the wall of text
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 08:26 AM   #17
norbeaster
EJ18

No apologies needed, I totally understand. Even though they didn't get in, I still feel violated... Its awesome you were able to get that much info about them. I live right near the elementary school and there is always people driving by and grilling my house because we like to work in the garage and hang in the front lawn. Thanks for the description on the car because if it happens to be the same kids and that little fucker pulls a knife out on me, it will be the last time hes in contact with his left knee cap.
Old 2009-04-15, 09:14 AM   #18
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Haha. That's how I felt about it (violated). I didn't like not feeling safe at my own house. I worry enough with it at school with all the break ins around UNR
Old 2009-04-16, 08:56 AM   #19
norbeaster
EJ18

Well, another one happened this morning. This time my roommates Element was a victim and they tossed a rock through the driver’s side window. This shit is getting ridiculous, I figured that living across from a school was a good thing in the ways of security? Guess not.
Old 2009-04-16, 09:15 AM   #20
bigrobwoot
EJ251

That sucks. Did they take anything or is it just vandalism?
Old 2009-04-16, 09:19 AM   #21
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Damn! Make sure you report it, not that it'll do any good.
Old 2009-04-16, 09:23 AM   #22
bigrobwoot
EJ251

The way I see it, there are a couple ways to go about this. The first is to spend the next couple nights hiding in the dark with a gun hoping they come back. Then if they do, either scare them off, or use it, whichever you're more comfortable with.

The other way, which involves a lot less of you sitting outside in the cold/dark, would be to buy a motion-activated deer camera for about $100-150 at wal mart or somewhere, and hopefully catch them in the act and getting their license plate #. Either way, I'm sorry it happened again

Last edited by bigrobwoot; 2009-04-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 2009-04-16, 09:53 AM   #23
norbeaster
EJ18

Deer camera is a good call.... I'm gonna do that, and maybe a latenight stake-out... with some steak

Not sure bout the vandalism yet... I had to go to school right away so I will get updates later on.
Old 2009-04-16, 10:34 AM   #24
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Steak-out!!! LOL. I wouldn't bother with reporting it, even after me and my buddy did all the detective work, they still said they couldn't do anything. That's why I wanna know where they live, I'll do something about it since cops won't
Old 2009-04-16, 11:18 AM   #25
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobwoot View Post
Steak-out!!! LOL. I wouldn't bother with reporting it, even after me and my buddy did all the detective work, they still said they couldn't do anything. That's why I wanna know where they live, I'll do something about it since cops won't
Keep reporting it. The cops can't do much if it's a one time thing, but if you're being targeted and repeatedly attacked, that's when they'll really step in to do something because there's a chance of the situation escalating.

Plus if they do eventually get caught, you want to be able to charge them with all the crimes they've committed.