Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2004-07-14, 08:57 AM   #51
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Scott, that is weird to me that you had more problems using the Ford HD brake fluid.

In my experience in 02-03, I had my car on 4 tracks, probably 1000 track miles, + 20 autocrosses, and I think we changed the brake fluid maybe 2x. Using the EBC greens front & back. (Right Dean?)
I had one instance in that entire time where the pedal felt spongy, I had the brakes bled, and all was back to normal after that.

Could it be that your brake system is aging, and hoses have expanded and contracted so many times that, like a balloon, now the contracted size is no longer original diameter, thereby allowing something extra in the system after a day of autocrossing?

I also wonder if the force used to brake varies by individual, affects wear long-term? That is, I press the brakes to stop but I don't stomp on it -- whereas I've seen other people stomp on their brakes in order to stop on a dime -- is this more wearing on a brake system?
I've got steel braided brake lines, I doubt they're "balooning". I also don't tend to stomp on my brakes (it's that big foot thing again.... if I stomp, I tend to push the gas as well... I should get some racing shoes ).

I think I'm just over-sensative to my brake feel. Plus, my brakes are all f'd up right now aside from the fluid. The leading edge of my front pads are all torn to hell from the slotted rotors. I have all kinds of clunks and squeeks coming from the brakes... especially after backing up and stopping, then pulling forward and stopping. I think my pads are actually loose or something. The car still seems to stop really well, and nothing seems unsafe... but I know somthing's not right.

I'm just looking forward to a set of StopTechs!
Old 2004-07-14, 09:01 AM   #52
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

I forgot you had steel-braided lines...

You may be right, some other shoes may help as well. I have racing shoes, but I don't usually wear them for autox, I like my flat-soled adidas better. They do make a difference.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote