Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2005-04-20, 08:35 AM   #1
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?
Default EDFC Coilover control in SM?

Did we decide definatley what the rule is regarding use of EDFC, specifically, the one from Tien, in Street Mod, or any class for that matter?
Old 2005-04-20, 11:35 AM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

There's nothing in the street mod rules about it at all.
Old 2005-04-20, 11:35 AM   #3
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

This is just my opinion, but if cars can come with cockpit-adjustable damping form the factory (as cars have for years), all you're doing is using a more easily accessible adjustment knob. I can't imagine any autoX situation where changing your damping midrun would be anything other than a disadvantage anyways......
Old 2005-04-20, 11:51 AM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

The nasioc motorsports forums discussions about it basically concur that as long as you disable the control function somehow during your runs, it's fine.
Old 2005-04-20, 12:11 PM   #5
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

electronic damping is not aloud if it is active! I guess meaning you can't have somthing that changes the damping from turn to turn. I dont think the EDFC can do that so I don't know who would complain..............

........I don't have it and I can't say that if I'm in SM (w/o rear seat) how it would matter if someone else did.....
Old 2005-04-20, 12:19 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

nobody in reno is going to protest your EDFC Mike. It's not "active" unless you're changing settings in the middle of a run... and if you are, you're not goign to beat anyone anyway.
Old 2005-04-20, 01:29 PM   #7
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
nobody in reno is going to protest your EDFC Mike.
I don't have it . I was saying that "I" don't have "it" and "I" would "not" protest someone "who" did have "it". Like maybe Nick!!!!!!!

simply because I do understand how it works and know that it wouldn't help in Auto-X
Old 2005-04-20, 01:31 PM   #8
Kevin M
EJ22T

Whoops, I thought all three of you guys with Flex had it. My bad.
Old 2005-04-20, 01:32 PM   #9
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Whoops, I thought all three of you guys with Flex had it. My bad.
no worries

I wanted to get them but didn't want to deal with issue's like these. I know I could get them and be ok in Reno but dont take them to National's and expect the same love
Old 2005-04-20, 01:34 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Here's the way I read the rules... although I'm not sure how they apply specifically to SM.

...if the car has factory cockpit adjustable suspension, knock yourself out and do whatever you want.

...otherwise, you must have the control unit removed from the vehicle.

Personally I'd be happy w/ something as simple as having the control unit outside of the reach of the driver, so you could place it in the truck or glovebox or something so you can easily adjust your settings between runs. However, as these things get more advanced I can easily see a version of control that could have a quick switch from left bias to right bias or something... which mean you could hit a single button on a straight and go from a car that turns left well to one that turns right well and gain a significant advantage. It's not really an issue at the Regional level, but at a Divisional or National level, wins and losses are decided by .001's on a regular basis.
Old 2005-04-20, 01:54 PM   #11
MattR
El Matador

So if I get EDFC with my Teins, is someone going to protest me? I have not seen the control unit, do the settings stay set if you unplug the unit? Or do they go to a default setting? If I can set them, remove the control unit and run the car, that would rule.
Old 2005-04-20, 02:07 PM   #12
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

I will not protest.
Old 2005-04-20, 02:34 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
So if I get EDFC with my Teins, is someone going to protest me? I have not seen the control unit, do the settings stay set if you unplug the unit? Or do they go to a default setting? If I can set them, remove the control unit and run the car, that would rule.
The control unit simply turns the motors on top of the struts. If the unit's unplugged, the motors remain right where they are.

Also, unless you plan on making changes while driving around on the street, I'd just wire the unit into the truck so you can make changes at the autoX by simply poping the trunk. Or by putting it in the glove box where you'll be able to adjust the settings on the street if you have to, but it's out of reach w/ your harnesses on.

I too wouldn't protest the EDFC if that was the installation you went with.
Old 2005-04-20, 02:40 PM   #14
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
. Or by putting it in the glove box where you'll be able to adjust the settings on the street if you have to, but it's out of reach w/ your harnesses on.

I too wouldn't protest the EDFC if that was the installation you went with.
I think the glove box is the way to go.
Old 2005-04-21, 08:35 AM   #15
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
I will not protest.

Thanks Mike! Mine is mounted where the clock is. If I strap myself in tight I can't reach it. The whole thing is kinda rediculous, can you imagine in the middle of a run, leaning forward to adjust your dampening softer. I mean quite frankly, I would set it pretty stiff and leave it there. It's not like I will be mid turn and think "hmm, I think I need to adjust the front struts up a couple notches". Meanwhile the flash of orange cones in my periphery takes my attention away from the edfc and I crash into a wall.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-21, 09:46 AM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx
Thanks Mike! Mine is mounted where the clock is. If I strap myself in tight I can't reach it. The whole thing is kinda rediculous, can you imagine in the middle of a run, leaning forward to adjust your dampening softer. I mean quite frankly, I would set it pretty stiff and leave it there. It's not like I will be mid turn and think "hmm, I think I need to adjust the front struts up a couple notches". Meanwhile the flash of orange cones in my periphery takes my attention away from the edfc and I crash into a wall.
I guess you skipped my post. The system could be used fairly effectively:

1st I'm assuming there are some presets, so with the touch of a button you can adjust all 4 dampers.

Now assume you set one preset that helps the car turn left, and another helps the car turn right. On a course that has a left biased section on say the 1st half of the course (more left turns than rights) followed by a right biased 2nd half, hitting a single button in the middle of the run gives you a huge advantage.

But like I said in my 1st post, that's a "huge" advantage at a national level, where 1 tenth is an eternity.

My point is that the rule exists for a real reason, and it's not some completely rediculous thing like some of the other SCCA rules.
Old 2005-04-21, 10:34 AM   #17
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I guess you skipped my post. The system could be used fairly effectively:

1st I'm assuming there are some presets, so with the touch of a button you can adjust all 4 dampers.

Now assume you set one preset that helps the car turn left, and another helps the car turn right. On a course that has a left biased section on say the 1st half of the course (more left turns than rights) followed by a right biased 2nd half, hitting a single button in the middle of the run gives you a huge advantage.

But like I said in my 1st post, that's a "huge" advantage at a national level, where 1 tenth is an eternity.

My point is that the rule exists for a real reason, and it's not some completely rediculous thing like some of the other SCCA rules.
I was half joking and I agree with you that it could be possible if maybe the control unit was somehow mounted to the steering wheel. My point is that where mine is mounted, the time it would take me to lean forward and push one of the presets, would probably cost me more time than it could save given the loss of concentration and repositioning yourself in the seat. You being taller than me may be able to reach the clock area without much movement, but for me, I would have to loosen my seatbelt, lean forward and push the button.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-21, 11:11 AM   #18
bruspeed
EJ251

Car: 2005 2.5 rs cgm
Class: TDSP

I recommend that you get it Matt, Then use it for EVIL!!!
Old 2005-04-21, 11:57 AM   #19
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruspeed
I recommend that you get it Matt, Then use it for EVIL!!!

Thank You, I think I will.