Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-07-07, 08:29 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default July 5th/6th Atwater Autocross pics and movies

Wanna see a course too fast for a WRX? Check out the Larry Park Memorial event at Castle AFB in Atwater, CA.

This course was simply too fast and too hot for my car. Saturday LabMonkey and I ran in the 4th session, so it was retarded hot out (I'd guess easily 120 deg track temp) and the course was ONE MILE LONG... no really, it was a friggen MILE autocross course. You ever see those crazy modded Vettes out at AutoX events that look like they shouldn't be used for Autocross, but should be on a track instead? Well, this is the event they were designed for... It was set up with tons of long, highspeed sweepers and combo corners... no straight line braking into a turn, it was all just fling the car from corner to corner at 60+ mph. Some people were easily topping 100mph down the long open slallom at the start.

My poor Azenis were over matched by the heat, and my even poorer stock spring/struts just couldn't stop the body roll thru 60 mph switchbacks. So the DoinkWRX just couldn't do better than a 71-n-change second lap. Austin's mustang with its primo suspension did much better breaking well into the 60 second range. To top off my fustrating day, my boost controller was kind enuf to boost to 1.2 bar and change on my runs. I used the playback feature of the Defi boost gauge to record and watch my boost... the spike got higher and longer as heatsoak in the intercooler let the intake charge get hotter and hotter. By the end of the run, I was sustaning 1.2bar of boost!! :shock: (yes, that's like 17.5psi)

Here's video of my 3 run on Saturday

Sunday was much better for the DoinkWRX. The course was run in reverse with one big secion removed to speed up run times. Plus Austin and I ran in the 2nd session, so it was much cooler out. I adjusted my MBC to boost less (or so I thought). Turns out I must have turned it the wrong way. I check the peak on the boost gauge after the 1st run and BAM! 1.3 bar and change... um yeah, that's like 19psi. So in between run 1 and 2 on Sunday I pulled off the MBC and hooked back up to the stock solenoid. No wonder my car felt so goddam fast on the 1st run ... and I thought the stock turbo couldn't put out that kinda boost...

My second run was kinda funny, I had Clayton ride along with me and I guess I was trying too hard for him cuz I DNF'd off the back of a hairpin...

See for yourself!

Oh well, that's what "Fun Runs" are for, right!?

My Sunday times eventually got respectable (at least I thought they were, there really weren't any cars for me to really compare my WRX against since the other WRXs showed up for the afternoon session and I didn't see them run. I got down to a 55 something lap:

Here's my best Sunday lap

And now for the pictures!

Here's me and the LabMonkey:
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/WRX%20and%20Mustang.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

Here's what Atwater cars look like :shock:
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/The%20grid%201.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

Some of Austin's buddies (Mike and Clayton) cars:
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/Mike's%20Frankenstang%201.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/Clayton's%20CP%20Mustang.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

Yes, Impallas can AutoX too!
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/SS%20Impallas%201.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

Finally some WRX's showed up:
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/Atwater%20WRXs.jpg[/img:86c228683f]

Oh, and the SRT-4 is FastAr!
[img:86c228683f=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Reno%20Meets/2003-07-06%20AAX%20Autocross%20at%20Castle%20AFB%20in%20At water%20CA/SRT-4%20is%20teh%20fastest%20car%20evAr.jpg[/img:86c228683f]
Old 2003-07-07, 08:38 AM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Looks like a lot of fun! Did the SRT-4 run? What times did it get compared to some of those stock WRX's? Just out of curiosity. Looks like a ton of vette's showed up!
Old 2003-07-07, 08:47 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Looks like a lot of fun! Did the SRT-4 run? What times did it get compared to some of those stock WRX's? Just out of curiosity. Looks like a ton of vette's showed up!
I was running at the same time ast the srt-4, so I didn't really hear his times. All I know is I was almost 3 seconds faster than him on our 1st runs. The srt-4 was completely stock... in fact it was pretty much brand new... still lots of tread on the Dodge equivalent of the re-92's. I talked with the owner briefly... he told me torque steer is *not* an issue even w/o a LSD, since the drive shafts are equal length. He also told me the stock tires are crap. And said the only thing keeping the srt-4 from being a total class killer is the fact it's FWD. Up close and in person, the srt-4 is impressive looking. Cool motor w/ the FMIC, decent looking body... but the interior is still too much like a Dodge econ box , they coulda done better there.

And AAX is all about the big, child eating Vettes. Those car look out of place at events like Cal Expo... too small of a course. But in Atwater, those things are at home.... they are simply amazing to watch as they friggen FLY around that giant course.
Old 2003-07-07, 09:33 AM   #4
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
The srt-4 was completely stock... in fact it was pretty much brand new... still lots of tread on the Dodge equivalent of the re-92's. I talked with the owner briefly... he told me torque steer is *not* an issue even w/o a LSD, since the drive shafts are equal length. He also told me the stock tires are crap.
Ya right! They come with Michelin Pilot Sports. They are some of the most expensive maximum performance tires you can buy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Pilot+Sport

JC
Old 2003-07-07, 09:49 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Ya right! They come with Michelin Pilot Sports. They are some of the most expensive maximum performance tires you can buy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Pilot+Sport

JC
Well, all I know is the guy that owns it says they suck, and he's driven one infinitely more times that I have!
Old 2003-07-07, 10:07 AM   #6
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I had a pretty good weekend - the manual brake proportioning valve I installed before the event helped *tons* to improve my braking and eliminate all of the corner-entry understeer I was having, and since the entry is taken care of it doesn't understeer as much through the rest of a corner either. My biggest problem this weekend was the engine getting hot.. creeping up close to the redline on the stock temperature gauge during the 100+ degree runs on Saturday... unfortunately the stock gauge doesn't have any numbers on it (friggin Fords) so I don't know exactly how hot that is. I need an accurate water temp gauge so I can see what exactly is happening and then come up with a fix if needed.

I got my in-car video on this weekend too, but my camera mount isn't quite sorted out yet though. The saturday runs are *real* bouncy and hard to watch, but I tightened it down a bit more for sunday and it's better. Once I get the right cable for the new camcorder I'll try to transfer them onto the computer and post them. I hooked it up to the TV last night and watched, and it's *awesome*. I LOVE in-car! I never knew my engine sounded so cool too, on the video it sounds like a Speed-GT touring Mustang or something, hehe.
Old 2003-07-07, 11:23 AM   #7
STIwish
EJ251

He was just saying his tires suck cause he is FWD.. we all know the truth... that looks like a hella fun course.. maybe i would have gotten less bruised out there!!
Old 2003-07-07, 12:38 PM   #8
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Well, all I know is the guy that owns it says they suck, and he's driven one infinitely more times that I have!
Sounds like he was making excuses. Speaking of SRT-4s, I'm going to one of their meets on the 20th. Should be interesting.

JC
Old 2003-07-07, 01:04 PM   #9
ArthurS
EJ207

Where is it going to be at JC?
Old 2003-07-07, 01:24 PM   #10
STIwish
EJ251

Hehehehehehehehehehe, we should crash the party
Old 2003-07-07, 02:35 PM   #11
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Lake Berryessa, July 20th
Old 2003-07-07, 02:39 PM   #12
ArthurS
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I wouldn't mind going for that drive. How far from Reno?
Old 2003-07-07, 04:34 PM   #13
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

what the's the quicktime software i need to play your avi files scott?
i can't seem to get it to work.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-07-07, 04:40 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
what the's the quicktime software i need to play your avi files scott?
i can't seem to get it to work.
It's not quicktime, it's DivX, so you need the DivX codec for your player, try: www.divx.com