Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2011-11-08, 04:32 PM   #51
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I'd have a shot if it were 2003 or 2004... but 7 years later, there are way more crazy racecars than mine. Hell, I'm still street legal, registered, & insured!
True.

Quote:
Didn't they essentially just do that for 023?
I think 023 was lowest or something like that, so probably about the same thing.
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 07:49 PM   #52
IheartSTI
EJ22

Car: 05 sti and 08 honda fit

have fun

ray should go in the 026
Old 2011-11-08, 08:42 PM   #53
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

^ yes!

If anyone knows of some 205s I could borrow, my wheels should be here tomorrow
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 09:48 PM   #54
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
I'd have a shot if it were 2003 or 2004... but 7 years later, there are way more crazy racecars than mine. Hell, I'm still street legal, registered, & insured!
Which is pretty extreme and crazy if you think about it.
Old 2011-11-13, 10:56 AM   #55
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Got a ticket leaving Carson yesterday. Cop said he gunned me at 41 in a 25. I know that when he hit me (momentarily mind you) that I was going 34. And I'm on stock sized tires on OE wheels, so I'm hoping I'm displaying correctly.

Anyway, he didn't bother to hit the Carolla that was behind us going faster, so pretty sure the sound of the exhaust made him think we'd be an easy hit.

In everyone's experience, what is a pretty quiet, while still deep and pleasant sounding exhaust, that's currently available (for sale)? I've been checking YouTube videos all day, and honestly, unfortunately, the best I've come up with the Gimmick MotorSports/SureWin Products cheapo systems. Perrin was too loud, Cobb too raspy, MadDad just didn't do it for me, Stromung too loud, Invidia G200 tip size is too big. Whatever I get will be mated to my Invidia bellmouth downpipe, although I may look into catting it.

I will likely be heading towards an '08+ STI turbo swap or 20g eventually, but for now sticking to stock. SO, sticking to 3" as well (and therefore Bosal/SPT is out).
Old 2011-11-13, 01:52 PM   #56
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

I like my Blitz RX. It looks just like the R but is pretty quite around town, when you open it up it gets a little aggressive.
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:31 PM   #57
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I had a Blitz Nur Spec Touring on the wagon. I think tip was too big for what I'm after, and honestly still too loud.

I've had two thoughts on exhaust for a while - stock look but 3", or straight pipe look but with a muffler and resonator. Seeing Andys straight pipe made me want one so much more. But I can't see a suitable locationfor a hidden muffler. I also searched for a few hours for a ProDrive oval or round tip, but found nothing.

Saw a STI winged WRX tonight with one of the SureWin systems, and don't think it's gonna work either. Now thinking Borla or back to MadDad.
Old 2011-11-13, 09:06 PM   #58
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I welded a magnaflow muffler on the back of mine and it made it really quite. Its not really the look I was going for and I will probably end up changing it. It does the job real nice though. I drove up next to Austin and I was revving trying to get his attention and I don't think I could even hear my own car over his 30mph speed.
Old 2011-11-14, 12:34 PM   #59
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Got a ticket leaving Carson yesterday. Cop said he gunned me at 41 in a 25. I know that when he hit me (momentarily mind you) that I was going 34. And I'm on stock sized tires on OE wheels, so I'm hoping I'm displaying correctly.

Anyway, he didn't bother to hit the Carolla that was behind us going faster, so pretty sure the sound of the exhaust made him think we'd be an easy hit.
Given the choice, I think a cop will always pull over a STI over a Corolla unless it's going stupid fast. Even a stock STI draws more attention then most modified cars, so changing the exhaust might not get you completely out of trouble.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 12:49 PM   #60
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

I've never had a problem with Northern NV police and exhaust noise and I drove around for 2 years with a catless Blitz Nur Spec R! I doubt your exhaust had anything to do with you getting tagged. Like Khail said, the STi draws too much attention anyway. I would chalk it up to an unlucky event and let it go, rather than change anything on my car.
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 01:49 PM   #61
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

My guess is that it was the speeding that got the most attention from the officer. Stop speeding.
Old 2011-11-14, 02:14 PM   #62
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

Quote:
My guess is that it was the speeding that got the most attention from the officer. Stop speeding.

k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 08:08 PM   #63
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

When he gunned me I was shifting into third, driving mellow, wasn't even at 35. Didn't have the gun on for a full second. I would have called him on his bullshit if he didn't come up as a complete bastard right off the bat.

And at night, with no wing and a basic silver car with silver wheels, it's not at all obvious my car is an sti.

That's why I'm pretty sure the only reason he went after me was that I was droning along. I dealt with enough small town cops when I was younger to know the car and the sound is an open invitation for harassment.

Anyway, it's motivation to do what I already wanted to do, remove more noise. And not go to frickin Carson anymore than necessary.
Old 2011-11-15, 01:39 AM   #64
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
I welded a magnaflow muffler on the back of mine and it made it really quite. Its not really the look I was going for and I will probably end up changing it. It does the job real nice though. I drove up next to Austin and I was revving trying to get his attention and I don't think I could even hear my own car over his 30mph speed.
I definitely didnt even hear you. I saw a hood scoop out of the corner of my eye and that's what caught my attention.

Old 2011-11-15, 01:41 AM   #65
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
I've never had a problem with Northern NV police and exhaust noise and I drove around for 2 years with a catless Blitz Nur Spec R! I doubt your exhaust had anything to do with you getting tagged. Like Khail said, the STi draws too much attention anyway. I would chalk it up to an unlucky event and let it go, rather than change anything on my car.
I've also never had a problem with sound and police. Even when I have gotten pulled over it was because I was doing something against the law, and they never said anything about exhaust. I mean I've had Blitz Nur Spec R, Invidia Q300, Gymkhana, and Invidia N1 Race.. My cars have been heard. lol

Old 2011-11-15, 09:43 AM   #66
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Anyway, good ol boy picked one of two cars. I was the chosen one. Has me inspired to quiet my shit. Thinking a 250 cell race cat added into my downpipe is the best place to start. Looking for someone to cut and weld the stainless as all I have is a mig.

Also about to order up some Federal 595RS-Rs, in 235/40. That should put me at the same and wheel fitment as most 245s. 9.6" wide rubber is enough I think. At least for this set. Still not 100% sold on the RS-Rs, but read mileage in the 15-22k range with some light track or autocross, so thinking that'd be good enough as a street set with trips to VC and Tahoe. And much more fun than most other tires.
Old 2011-11-15, 11:09 AM   #67
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

I've driven my caged, stickered rally car through carson easily 200+ times . never got pulled over. I have been pulled over in my STI around carson though ... even driving more miles in my rally car, i get pulled over more frequently in my STI.

my STI is louder than my rally car.. but i think its the big scoop + wing that does it for them.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 03:14 PM   #68
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Looking for someone to cut and weld the stainless as all I have is a mig.
Can't you just buy some stainless wire for your setup?
Old 2011-11-15, 04:00 PM   #69
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Can't you just buy some stainless wire for your setup?
You need a different gas mix too usually. It's just a PITA if you've got a MIG setup for mild steel to do anything else. Plug, getting it TIG welded will look a lot nicer.
Old 2011-11-15, 04:22 PM   #70
IheartSTI
EJ22

Car: 05 sti and 08 honda fit

have fun

Quote:
You need a different gas mix too usually. It's just a PITA if you've got a MIG setup for mild steel to do anything else. Plug, getting it TIG welded will look a lot nicer.
once you tig you never go back! looks so much better. hell i even tig mild steel jut to make it look better.

I have a mig set up for stainless here at work and it blows. i have the right gas/wire and its usless for anything but tack welds before i tig something
Old 2011-11-15, 04:34 PM   #71
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Yeah, I have been using fluxcore for so long I totally forgot about the gas. Obviously TIG is the way to do most any automotive welding.
Old 2011-11-15, 05:44 PM   #72
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I wouldn't bother to mig it even if I had a stainless mig setup. Tig or nothing

I have a full gas setup that just needs to be plumbed and whatnot, still fluxcore
Old 2011-11-15, 09:06 PM   #73
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Anyway, good ol boy picked one of two cars. I was the chosen one. Has me inspired to quiet my shit. Thinking a 250 cell race cat added into my downpipe is the best place to start. Looking for someone to cut and weld the stainless as all I have is a mig.

Also about to order up some Federal 595RS-Rs, in 235/40. That should put me at the same and wheel fitment as most 245s. 9.6" wide rubber is enough I think. At least for this set. Still not 100% sold on the RS-Rs, but read mileage in the 15-22k range with some light track or autocross, so thinking that'd be good enough as a street set with trips to VC and Tahoe. And much more fun than most other tires.
It is simpler (and possibly cheaper) to order a catted Invidia downpipe and sell your catless one than to buy a cat and pay to have the modification done.
Old 2011-11-22, 11:48 AM   #74
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I might do just that ^ Still pretty $$$ though. $150 for the cat, $50ish for welding (???), or $500 for new catted dp, and sell what I have for, what, $100?
Old 2011-11-22, 11:52 AM   #75
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

So I have wheels, need to order tires, new valve stems should be here soon (couldn't rock the blue ones the wheels came with), and need to track down front and rear camber plates, and make some fender rolling happen. Also need to do a front stud swap.

Need to open up the fenders a bit. At my current alignment (~2*f, 1.5r I think?) the wheels are approx. 1/2" outside the fenders. That's really not a whole lot considering the front are untouched, and the rears are very minorly rolled.

Not sure if this pic will work, was too lazy to upload to Photobucket:

So, where to get some extended studs from? Need 8mm spacers as well, or 10mm...