Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2005-08-01, 02:09 PM   #26
doubleurx
EJ205

Man that sucks! Thankfully you are alright. Cars can always be replaced. Good luck with all the insurance stuff. I hope it all works out for you in the end.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-01, 03:03 PM   #27
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Kevin, sorry to hear that happened. Thankfully you weren't hurt. I have never seen a strut ripped out...wow.
Old 2005-08-01, 04:10 PM   #28
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Glad to hear that you are ok.

Did you take that first pic from up in a tree?
NevadaSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-01, 04:19 PM   #29
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

The car is definitely totalled. The passenger side of the car near the gas lid is buckled like the driver's side is below the c-pillar, just not as much. No way that car is salvagable, even for a track project. All of the rear subframe points are probably out of whack, along with the whole rear quarterpanel having to be replaced. At this point, I'm not really planning on buying any of it back for part out.

It definitely could have been much worse, but it's not really bothering me. It was over and I knew I was okay before I had time to think about what could have happened. I don't really stress over close calls or things that might have happened. Just ones that did or will.

Oddly enough Mike K, the clutch trouble more or less is why it happened. If I hadn't been a little bit late to work because of that, I wouldn't have been the one hit by him. However, there was apparently a much worse accident somewhere farther up 431. the fire truck that was the first response to the scene, and the first NHP officer that got there both hauled ass up the hill after determining we had no injuries and everything was under control, then another fire truck and another NHP flew by with lights and siren blaring. Maybe I missed out on that one for a reason...

Since I already took off some of the mods, I will post up what's for sale later.

The pic was taken from up the incline on the side of the road.
Old 2005-08-01, 04:28 PM   #30
SlickNick112
EJ251

Car: '06 Impreza WRX STi
Class: Out of class!

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS

Oddly enough Mike K, the clutch trouble more or less is why it happened. If I hadn't been a little bit late to work because of that, I wouldn't have been the one hit by him. However, there was apparently a much worse accident somewhere farther up 431. the fire truck that was the first response to the scene, and the first NHP officer that got there both hauled ass up the hill after determining we had no injuries and everything was under control, then another fire truck and another NHP flew by with lights and siren blaring. Maybe I missed out on that one for a reason...
Well you're right, there's a reason for everything. Make the most out of this outcome.

So what's the next project car?
Old 2005-08-01, 04:36 PM   #31
Kevin M
EJ22T

Next project is a Miata. I've coveted one for years, and modding them is much cheaper than modding subarus.
Old 2005-08-01, 04:41 PM   #32
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Next project is a Miata.
Sweet! Are you going the Spec-Miata route?
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-01, 04:55 PM   #33
Kevin M
EJ22T

No, I don't have the resources to actually race it. Just going to use it for autocross and trackdays.
Old 2005-08-04, 05:33 PM   #34
Kostamojen
EJ22

OMG Kevin this sucks!!! Well, at least it will make the downtime less of an issue like you said... I know you said to look and see what happened while I was gone, but man I didnt expect to see this

Sorry man
Old 2005-08-05, 01:21 PM   #35
Kevin M
EJ22T

Okay Folks, if you or anyone you know is interested, the shell would cost me $3500 to re-acquire. The actual price for it is $1900, but then I lose the sales tax and other fees I'd collect from AAA since they wouldn't actually be buying it, which knocks my settlement from $13,500 to $9800.

For those who don't know the details, I would say it's actually worth that much if you had another shell to swap things into. Every single mechanical bit forward of about the B pillars is fine, but the left rear suspension, strut, wheel, control arms, and possibly the rear subframe, halfshaft and/or rear diff is toast. The disc brake components should be okay except the line is broken off in the caliper and the parking brake cable was yanked out. It would be a great candidate for an all-motor build or even turbo project if you wanted to take it a step farther. I have Cobb cams I would part with cheap for anyone who wanted to buy it for that purpose. Also, I would need to have cash in hand or a solid commitment by Monday afternoon, as that's when I'll be signing paperwork.
Old 2005-08-05, 07:08 PM   #36
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Did someone say cams? Are they in the car or are they laying around?
Old 2005-08-06, 10:41 AM   #37
Kevin M
EJ22T

They're in my garage in a spare set of heads I was going to get PnP and all that jazz.
Old 2005-08-06, 03:35 PM   #38
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Bah heads will cost more than I need to spend.