Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-03-19, 03:24 PM   #1
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Plus I need to get a RJ45 patch panel for my wiring closet... right now all the Cat5 in the house is wired on a crappy punch-down for phone use. Like anyone uses RJ11 wall plugs anymore!
[thread derail]Nothing wrong with punch down block as long as they are 110, not 66 blocks. 110s should be Cat6 certified. Just cross connect your data lines to a patch panel as needed. Patch panels don't work well for POTS connections due to the shared nature. Patch panels are best for point to point data connections.[/td]
Old 2008-03-19, 03:31 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
[thread derail]Nothing wrong with punch down block as long as they are 110, not 66 blocks. 110s should be Cat6 certified. Just cross connect your data lines to a patch panel as needed. Patch panels don't work well for POTS connections due to the shared nature. Patch panels are best for point to point data connections.[/td]
The punch down ties all the cat5 wires into 4 pairs of serial connections. It's pretty useless for networking to have each outlet physically connected to every other outlet. I need a punch down panel that allows point-to-point RJ45 routing.

This is what I have:

This is what I need (but with an additional RJ45 patch sub-panel):
Old 2008-03-19, 03:44 PM   #3
Kavid
EJ22

Car: 09 Impreza 2.5i Sedan No Turbo

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
I'm not knocking people that like deep music. I'm just saying, I'm not into it myself. I used to care, back in the Pearl Jam, Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, 2Pac, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, era. But I just don't hear anything anymore that resonates with me, and I stopped looking. The music I like now, I like for purely superficial reasons... something with good rhythm and movement that I can listen to while coding or driving. Not something that's distracting 'cause it makes me think.

And yes, I did get that cable! Nick dropped it off for me. Now I just need to get it dropped into my living room wall. I'm debating on doing it myself, or just trying to get the cable guy to do it while he's dropping my RG6. Plus I need to get a RJ45 patch panel for my wiring closet... right now all the Cat5 in the house is wired on a crappy punch-down for phone use. Like anyone uses RJ11 wall plugs anymore!
Good Man Nick, Thank You Sir! I totally understand what you are saying now about the music, I was honestly just kind of freaked out because I have never heard anyone put it like that before or in those words! In that case though I will have to give you some of my raw beats with no vocals yet to listen to and see what you think. Unfortunately we do not have any punch down or patch panels laying around, I checked. Not many people use RJ11's anymore, it is all RJ45 for sure. And just so you know, most cable techs for Charter are not wall fish certified, or at least when I worked there shortly, so make sure they know you need an additional outlet ran and a WALL FISH. Or I can help you do it on any weekend day when I'm off, just let me know ahead of time at a meet or something. I have all of my own tools and wall fishing stuff it's just a matter of bringing certain tools home, planning it, and doing it since you have the cable already. It's up to you, I could save you some money if the cable guy won't do it, but if he will by all means.....
Old 2008-03-19, 03:48 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

That's not a punch down block, that's a "home automation" piece of crap home builders use.

These are cat6 punch down blocks...
Old 2008-03-19, 04:24 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavid View Post
Good Man Nick, Thank You Sir! I totally understand what you are saying now about the music, I was honestly just kind of freaked out because I have never heard anyone put it like that before or in those words! In that case though I will have to give you some of my raw beats with no vocals yet to listen to and see what you think. Unfortunately we do not have any punch down or patch panels laying around, I checked. Not many people use RJ11's anymore, it is all RJ45 for sure. And just so you know, most cable techs for Charter are not wall fish certified, or at least when I worked there shortly, so make sure they know you need an additional outlet ran and a WALL FISH. Or I can help you do it on any weekend day when I'm off, just let me know ahead of time at a meet or something. I have all of my own tools and wall fishing stuff it's just a matter of bringing certain tools home, planning it, and doing it since you have the cable already. It's up to you, I could save you some money if the cable guy won't do it, but if he will by all means.....
Yeah, we found that out the crappy way. We told the Charter lady like 1,000,000 times that we needed cable pulled in the walls and she insisted that it was like 9 buck per outlet. We told her no way it's that cheap, we're not just hooking up an outlet, we're adding wires. She told us we were all set.

Sure enough the cable guy comes and is like "nope I'm not certified for that, you have to schedule it with someone else". So we're just hooked up on the other outlet and the wires run in front of the fireplace for now. I figure, since I have to do the RG6, the Cat5, and some surround speaker wiring, I was just going to do it myself if I couldn't talk the cable guy my GF knows into doing it for us.

And Dean, I'm just going to stick with the Leviton crap. I've got the box in my closet, and while the stuff's overpriced for what you get, it's at least a unified solution that works. I don't need a crazy production level wiring closet... just need to route my wall outlets to a router/cable modem.
Old 2008-03-19, 04:26 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Oh, and the Leviton punch downs are 110's, not 66's. Though I don't know what the difference is.
Old 2008-03-19, 04:34 PM   #7
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Yeah, we found that out the crappy way. We told the Charter lady like 1,000,000 times that we needed cable pulled in the walls and she insisted that it was like 9 buck per outlet. We told her no way it's that cheap, we're not just hooking up an outlet, we're adding wires. She told us we were all set.

Sure enough the cable guy comes and is like "nope I'm not certified for that, you have to schedule it with someone else". So we're just hooked up on the other outlet and the wires run in front of the fireplace for now. I figure, since I have to do the RG6, the Cat5, and some surround speaker wiring, I was just going to do it myself if I couldn't talk the cable guy my GF knows into doing it for us.
Just so you know, my offer to help still stands in case anything falls through on you. Or if you need any guidance or anything. I have 10+ years of commercial Audio/Video/Data/PC/Server experience. Just let me know. Good Luck!
Old 2008-03-20, 09:46 AM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Just so you know, my offer to help still stands in case anything falls through on you. Or if you need any guidance or anything. I have 10+ years of commercial Audio/Video/Data/PC/Server experience. Just let me know. Good Luck!
Cool! Thanks a ton for the offer. I'm not really working on it right now, just 'cause I've got a huge list of house stuff to get done, and getting the garage put together is way higher on the list than getting the TV hooked up better.

But once I get that far down my list, I'll take you up on the offer if it looks like we'll need help!
Old 2008-05-26, 03:42 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Bump!

I went and picked up all the crap I need to wire the house... then climbed up into the attic and realized that with all the spray-in insulation, I'm not going to be able to do the wiring myself without dying halfway through from an asthma attack. Plus, it's damn near impossible for me to fit anywhere up there (too tall) and I can't easily figure out were the existing wires are running to begin with... so I think I need to get some more experienced help on the job.

Kavid, are you interested in doing some wall fishes, or do you know anyone you can recommend? I'm willing to pay the prevailing rates for this sort of work, and I've got all the cable and hardware already for the job. I figure I need 2 wall fishes: one in the garage (1 RG6 wire, and 1 CAT5 wire), and one in the living room (two RG6 wires, two CAT5 wires, plus some speaker wire run from the old TV location to the new), and I figure while I'm getting cable pulled all over the place, I should run 4 RG6 lines from the roof eve to the wiring box so when I switch to satellite I've already got the cable in place.
Old 2008-05-26, 07:17 PM   #10
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Quote:
...I figure while I'm getting cable pulled all over the place, I should run 4 RG6 lines from the roof eve to the wiring box so when I switch to satellite I've already got the cable in place.
Good choice. I did all of that on my house but I have photos during the build so I know what the insides of all of the walls look like.

4x-RG6QS from dish to closet
CAT5 from phone service to closet
CAT5 from internet service to closet
RCA cable from front door camera to closet (modulated to a cable channel then diplexed into/out of the cable runs to each room)

2x CAT5 to master BR
2x CAT5 to Living room
4x CAT5 to office
2x RG6QS to Master BR (dual tuner DirecTivo)
2x RG6QS to Living Room (dual tuner DirecTivo)
1X RG6QS to office

I'm getting ready to swap out the existing 3LNB dish for a 5LNB slimline and upgrading to a single wire multiswitch. Then I'll only need on RG6 to each sat tuner.
Old 2008-05-29, 03:38 PM   #11
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Bump!

I went and picked up all the crap I need to wire the house... then climbed up into the attic and realized that with all the spray-in insulation, I'm not going to be able to do the wiring myself without dying halfway through from an asthma attack. Plus, it's damn near impossible for me to fit anywhere up there (too tall) and I can't easily figure out were the existing wires are running to begin with... so I think I need to get some more experienced help on the job.

Kavid, are you interested in doing some wall fishes, or do you know anyone you can recommend? I'm willing to pay the prevailing rates for this sort of work, and I've got all the cable and hardware already for the job. I figure I need 2 wall fishes: one in the garage (1 RG6 wire, and 1 CAT5 wire), and one in the living room (two RG6 wires, two CAT5 wires, plus some speaker wire run from the old TV location to the new), and I figure while I'm getting cable pulled all over the place, I should run 4 RG6 lines from the roof eve to the wiring box so when I switch to satellite I've already got the cable in place.
Sorry it took so long to respond, I haven't checked my e-mail since Sunday to let me know I had a message. It sounds like something that me and my friend Chris could handle together. Combined we have 20+ years of experience in both Residential and Commercial in this sort of thing and work together daily. We would obviously need to see your house and what we are up against before we take it on and commit to anything. It could look like the easiest job but you never know until you really look at it and the paths of the wire. I won't be at the meet tonight...again. Having to work at the butt crack of dawn at work tomorrow is conflicting with it. Lately I've been really busy with my beats and music also. Chris might make it tonight, he drives the 07 Gold/Silver/Titanium color WRX with stock black wheels, but he didn't sound sure. This week is bad for me except for tomorrow after 4pm, but I am pretty open next week on the weekdays to come take a look if you would like. I am going to make it to the meet next Thursday NO MATTER WHAT so I will see you then worst case. So just let me know if tomorrow after 4pm works for you to come look at it, or any weekday after Sunday for next week after 3pm will work for me also!

Last edited by Kavid; 2008-05-29 at 03:40 PM.
Kavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 12:21 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Let's set something up for early next week? Say Monday or Tuesday late afternoon and you can come by to take a look at the place? I'll PM you!
Old 2008-05-30, 01:22 PM   #13
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Uh, 802.11n is cheap, secure and, uh, oh yah, WIRELESS!
Old 2008-05-30, 01:39 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Uh, 802.11n is cheap, secure and, uh, oh yah, WIRELESS!
Awesome. What's that got to do with cable TV, and speaker wire?

Old 2008-05-30, 02:06 PM   #15
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

You use CAT5 for TV and Speakers?
Old 2008-05-30, 02:21 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
You use CAT5 for TV and Speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I figure I need 2 wall fishes: one in the garage (1 RG6 wire, and 1 CAT5 wire), and one in the living room (two RG6 wires, two CAT5 wires, plus some speaker wire run from the old TV location to the new)
No. I use RG6 for TV, and speaker wire for speakers.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:37 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

So you "need" some TV and speaker wire and you figure, might as well run "CAT5" at the same time? CAT5 is so 2001.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:48 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
So you "need" some TV and speaker wire and you figure, might as well run "CAT5" at the same time? CAT5 is so 2001.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:59 PM   #19
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Seriously. At least run CAT6 or somehting.
Old 2008-05-30, 03:09 PM   #20
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Seriously. At least run CAT6 or somehting.
Dude, the house is already 90% wired with CAT5 which easily supports Gigabit bandwidth. What the hell do I need to go spend $$ on CAT6 for when Kavid already hooked me up with half a roll of CAT5?

Name one single tangible benefit to CAT6 in my home.
Old 2008-05-30, 03:30 PM   #21
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

The house is already 90% wired with CAT5? That's all you had to say. Go on with your bad self.
Old 2008-05-30, 04:00 PM   #22
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
The house is already 90% wired with CAT5? That's all you had to say. Go on with your bad self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
...right now all the Cat5 in the house is wired on a crappy punch-down for phone use.
I said it in like post #3.
Old 2008-05-30, 04:06 PM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Oh.

Old 2008-06-05, 01:43 PM   #24
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

Reading is for losers.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote