Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2004-10-06, 03:08 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default The DMV Ownzored Me!

Here's how the appraser evaluated the SVX:

"Is that a 6 cyilinder?" - Yes
"What's the mileage?" - 190,750 miles
*walked around car once, goes inside*
Door opens: "Is that All Wheel Drive?" - Yes
*goes back inside*
20 seconds later
"Here ya go." Slip says the car's worth $4100. :shock:

Me: "Um, this doesn't take into account that the car needs a $2500 transmission, does it?"

Him (already walking off to the next car): "You got a quote for that?"

Me: "Not on me. How does this apprasial process work, anyhow? Do you use some sort of formula?"

Him: "I decide what the car's worth. I walked around it, and it you barely have any dents."

So apparently, this guy has the value of every car at every mileage in his head, and the only thing that reduces that value are dents or repair quotes. Never mind the fact that the base value is actually determined by a formula in the computer, not by him. And what's with the deal of not even caring about how the car runs? If I purchased smoking heap of an STi that had a blown tranny and motor, then I guess that car's worth $28,000, never mind that it can barely run. Fuck the DMV. Fuck Mr. appraiser that's too full of himself to give me a straight answer about the process w/o lip. You know sir, if you had less of an attitude problem, you wouldn't have to be a dick-hole appraser at the Reno DMV.

So, the short version of the story: because of asshole appraiser I paid $302 in "sales tax" on a $2000 sale... yes that's 15% sales tax. Now, pile on registration fees for the SVX, plus the renewal for my WRX, and I ended up dropping $625 at the DMV today. Maybe with all that money, the state can get around to paying someone to adjust the sprinklers on every street in S. Meadows so they water the lawn and not the road and my car.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:13 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Chicken Fucker
Old 2004-10-06, 03:15 PM   #3
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi
Default Re: The DMV Ownzored Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
You know sir, if you had less of an attitude problem, you wouldn't be allowed to be a dick-hole appraser at the Reno DMV.
I fixed it for you.

I hate the DMV. It is my least favourite place in America. When I registered my WRX there for the first time I waited 4 hours. The whole time the place was packed with billions of screaming kids, and when I finally got to see someone about my registration she spent the whole time bitching that she got an 8 minute break instead of 10 minutes that day.

I want to start a business where you can hire people to go to the DMV for you. I would pay big $$ for that service.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 03:18 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was that the guy acted like I was wasting his time.

Nevermind that when I pulled up, there was no one there getting appraised, and I still had to wait 10 minutes for Mr. A-Hole to get off his ass and come look at my car. Then, not a mention of "how does it run, or do you have any quotes for repairs". And of course, the huge attitude in he response when I questioned the procedure.

Just because you have the ability to ruin my day doesn't mean your job, and your life have any meaningful value. You're fourty-something, and you peaked at making me pay an extra $150 by being an asshole at your crappy DMV job. I'll beat you at life.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:22 PM   #5
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

How come they don't just go off the blue book value for the car? I thought just about everyone who wanted to know how much a car was worth used that price.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 03:23 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Quote:
You know sir, if you had less of an attitude problem, you wouldn't be allowed to be a dick-hole appraser at the Reno DMV.
I fixed it for you.

I hate the DMV. It is my least favourite place in America. When I registered my WRX there for the first time I waited 4 hours. The whole time the place was packed with billions of screaming kids, and when I finally got to see someone about my registration she spent the whole time bitching that she got an 8 minute break instead of 10 minutes that day.

I want to start a business where you can hire people to go to the DMV for you. I would pay big $$ for that service.
I was there from 1:30 to 4pm. The woman that helped me at the counter just seemed exasperated. I tried to be nice, and it seemed to help. It was the apprasial Nazi that pissed me off.

By the way: you can't get SECCSVX as a license plate (apparently "sex" and anything that sounds remotely like it is a "bad" word... now I see why people get their panties in a bunch over 10 seconds of nipple during the Super Bowl), and REDSLED is already taken somewhere in NV.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:23 PM   #7
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
I'll beat you at life.
That's another one of my trademark lines, but you can use it in this application...

"I'll beat you at life...chicken fucker..."
Old 2004-10-06, 03:25 PM   #8
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

F the DMV.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:25 PM   #9
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

This sounds like the discussions between my wife & I every time we go near the DMV, less the expletives.

You have to drive it through the dirt, then put rusty steelies on it w/o hubcaps, smack the windshield with a big rock, and swap a couple body panels from PickNPull to get the appraisal down to $2100. Then you go get a brand new windshield and keep the panels as spares with the money you saved....
Old 2004-10-06, 03:27 PM   #10
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS
This sounds like the discussions between my wife & I every time we go near the DMV, less the expletives.

You have to drive it through the dirt, then put rusty steelies on it w/o hubcaps, smack the windshield with a big rock, and swap a couple body panels from PickNPull to get the appraisal down to $2100. Then you go get a brand new windshield and keep the panels as spares with the money you saved....

[guiness guys] BRILLIANT! [/guiness guys]
Old 2004-10-06, 03:29 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
How come they don't just go off the blue book value for the car? I thought just about everyone who wanted to know how much a car was worth used that price.
The DMV is somehow more knowledgable than Kelly or Edmunds. They have their own list and formulas.

The Edmunds [i]Dealer Retail[i] price for the car, in "good" condition is $4016. So I guess the DMV assumes the car is in good condition and I purchased it from a dealer. A bill of sale from the *actual* price paid has nothing to do with it if it's from a private party sale.

For reference:

Private Party value in "good" condition: $1183, in "average" condition: $1291. This car was somewhere inbetween "good" and "average", but you wouldn't know that unless you check it out mechanically, and drove it. Two things that are totally ignored in the DMV appraisal process.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:30 PM   #12
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Quote:
From the DMV website:

Quote:
Sales Taxes are paid to DMV, based on either depreciated MSRP or a DMV appraisal.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:31 PM   #13
MattR
El Matador

I swear too much....

Oh, the DMV process seems totally backwards...They make it so hard to buy a used fricking car.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:34 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:

I had planned on getting it registered before cleaning it out, and getting any work done on it. (Not that it mattered, since mechanical condition has apparently zero bearing on the value of the car.) I should have just dropped the 3" thick folder of service records for the car in the guy's hand and said "this car has a long history of problems, feel free to read up on it yourself, it only takes about 90 minutes to get through... or you can just take my word that the car's worth $2000".
Old 2004-10-06, 03:36 PM   #15
ScottyS
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
Oh, the DMV process seems totally backwards...They make it so hard to buy a used fricking car.

I swear those greedy little monkeys have quotas to follow --- charging me more "sales tax" than what it would have been based on the actual sale amount happens almost every time. I say we dress up like ricer hoodlums and toss all the new license plates into Boston Harbor!
Old 2004-10-06, 03:39 PM   #16
ScottyS
EJ205

Quote:
Quote:

I had planned on getting it registered before cleaning it out, and getting any work done on it. (Not that it mattered, since mechanical condition has apparently zero bearing on the value of the car.) I should have just dropped the 3" thick folder of service records for the car in the guy's hand and said "this car has a long history of problems, feel free to read up on it yourself, it only takes about 90 minutes to get through... or you can just take my word that the car's worth $2000".
Or, better yet, ask him if he would pay $4100 for it as-is.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:41 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Quote:
From the DMV website:

Quote:
Sales Taxes are paid to DMV, based on either depreciated MSRP or a DMV appraisal.
Is it just me, or is "sales tax" intended to be paid based on a percentage of the sale price of an item. Hell, I purchased this car in Danville, CA, shouldn't the seller of the car be required to pay the state of CA sales tax?

At least I didn't get as screwed as my friend Jason's GF. She had a car gifted to her in CA. When she brought it here, even though it was legally registered to her in CA, because there was no record of sales tax on the CA registration, she had to pay sales tax to get it registered here in NV. The car was already registered to her, in her name, in CA... what the fuck does "sales tax" have to do with anything a year later in NV!?!? They said she could just have the person that gifted it to her sign a new affidavit... nevermind that he gave her the car because he was moving back to Turkey.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:43 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or, better yet, ask him if he would pay $4100 for it as-is.
Oooh... that's a good line. I could have hammered him with that one.
Old 2004-10-06, 04:09 PM   #19
murphy
EJ22

Car: 03 evo, 06 R6

WTF is this something new? when I bought a californa car (private sale) the guy only had to check that the vin matched the title..no apprasial was done and I paid tax on what I paid for the car...WTF?
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 04:48 PM   #20
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
So, the short version of the story: because of asshole appraiser I paid $302 in "sales tax" on a $2000 sale... yes that's 15% sales tax. Now, pile on registration fees for the SVX, plus the renewal for my WRX, and I ended up dropping $625 at the DMV today.

Quote:
Just because you have the ability to ruin my day doesn't mean your job, and your life have any meaningful value. You're fourty-something, and you peaked at making me pay an extra $150 by being an asshole at your crappy DMV job.
Old 2004-10-06, 07:34 PM   #21
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Yikes... good thing I didn't get around to fixing the frotn of my RS yet. I have to register it sometime this month, since my CA plates expire in like 4 days. Anybody have some steelies that fit 4 pots?
Old 2004-10-06, 07:41 PM   #22
doubleurx
EJ205

Scott that sucks. In California you pay sales tax based on the sale not some conceived appraisal value. I am not sold on NV being more tax friendly. Yes you have no state income tax, but property tax can be reappraised each year! That alone could wipe out any of the other tax benefits of the state.

Nonetheless he's not a chicken fucker he's a rooster fucker!
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 11:00 PM   #23
Kostamojen
EJ22

That sucks. I guess Nevada isnt that great.

When I registered the '78, I told them It was a gift and not worth anything. They didnt care. I just registered the new 95, and I could have put anything I wanted for the value, they didnt care. I put something reasonable (half of what I paid), but I shouldnt have even been that reasonable... Now I have to fork up more money.
Old 2004-10-07, 09:43 AM   #24
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
I hate some of the DMV's workers. They are a big part of the reason why it takes 4 friggen hours.
When I was there in May, I waited in a section where I could watch some of the workers at the windows. One lady literally pushed papers around her workstation multiple times. She would gather up a bunch of papers, paperclip them together, put that set in a file sorter, get some more papers, spread them out at her workstation, then take the stack from the file sorter, unclip them, take out some papers, put those with some of the papers now laying on the desk, paperclip a different set together, and put those in the sorter. Repeat. She never looked up at the people waiting. She finally got up, and went on a break. I saw her come back more than 20 minutes later, and start sifting thru her papers again. It was unbelievable.
Then, there are a few others, like the lady who helped me, who seem to be incredibly efficient. They would constantly be turning over new transactions, you could see it by the ticket numbers that show up on their reader boards.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 09:46 AM   #25
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

And you know what really sucks? If you had to get an insurance claim on it, you'd never recover $4,100.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote