Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2009-04-23, 05:21 PM   #1
Skidder
EJ18

Car: 2010 WRX
Class: DS

Life is to short to drink cheap beer
Default What would you buy and why

So I've been stuck with an Audi A4 since I sold my 04 WRX in august of 08... I have been completely stumped on what car I should buy next. Which is actually great becasue my savings account just got bigger with time. There's so many options and I have test drove just about all of them, they all seem like they would make very enjoyable cars. So I'm going to enlist you guys to give me your opinions on what to buy next.

So I'm looking for a sporty/sports car that is small, probably AWD, preferably turbo, and has some degree of practicality. Check out my car selections, and feel free to mention cars that I might not have thought of.

Subaru WRX (09,07,06)
Subaru STi (05-09) (Maybe swing for a 07 limited)
Subaru Forester XT sports (0
Mitsubishi Evo 8 (maybe 10)
Mitsubishi ralliart (if they ever release a manual)
BMW 335xi
Audi S4 (b5 or b6)
VW r20 (see link) http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...erica_car_news
Volvo S40 R

Also I guess I should mention that I have a stable job, and I would like to buy new, but 600 dollar car payments are not my cup of tea. So that's why cheaper cars like the 06 WRX and B5 S4 are in that list next to the likes of BMW 335xi's.

Last edited by Skidder; 2009-04-23 at 05:28 PM.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 06:46 PM   #2
DaveWRX
EJ22

Car: 03 WRB WRX

Buy the 09 wrx is Aspen White. Fun fast car and it's acutally faster than a stock STI
DaveWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 06:52 PM   #3
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

My vote would be an 07 STi Limited...but good luck finding one...
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 07:05 PM   #4
van
SECCS Brewmeister

335i is great, a little too nice if you race but a great daily driver
Evo 8, to race because they've become dirt cheap in this economy
GC body impreza if you really want to race, lightweight,easy engine swaps,no frills,cheap

Last edited by van; 2009-04-23 at 07:29 PM. Reason: 335xi is weak,335i is better, awd bmw does not compute
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 08:33 PM   #5
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Something you can buy outright without payments.

Keep saving your money and invest it in something that goes up in value.

A4 is a great car. What year/options is yours? No S4 or STI, but not half bad. I tracked my basically stock B5 1.8TQMS for over 3000 miles and a few years of autocross before it retired to DD status.

I wouldn't buy another Audi though, or a VW or Volvo.

Last edited by Dean; 2009-04-23 at 09:03 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 08:40 PM   #6
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Legacy GT with a 5-speed. Preferably the 2005 wagon. Then do a few things to it. Not a dedicated race car, but a fine machine with excellent looks and reasonable practicality.

Even more practical would be the Outback XT or (as you listed) Forester XT. Handling of course cannot compare with the rest of your list, but they have great clearance. Better on insurance I would imagine.

I really like the looks of the sporty little VW hatches, but I know absolutely nothing about the mechanicals or longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Buy outright.

Save money.

Invest in guns.
Exactly.
Old 2009-04-23, 09:08 PM   #7
Skidder
EJ18

I have a 00 A4tqm... without sport package, its basically the slowest car I have ever owned and the second worst handling. But I'm on the Audi forums and understand that its a very modifiable platform. But to get it to stock STi levels i would have to spend 10k (at least). So its not worth it... i was sorta thinking about keeping it as a winter beater and getting a RWD sports car.

But yeah... I'm looking for something that's a good DD and can handle some track time.

07 STi limited's... 2 for sale in bay area currently. I'm just scared to death of how many miles the original owner put on the stock tune.

I loved the BMW 335i i drove... the shitty thing is that even used I'm paying mid 30's for it.

I leaning toward an 06' WRX or STI becasue I have a DP and COBB sways that will fit collecting dust in my garage.... and they are reasonably priced. But I also like the 09' 5 doors for practicality and under the radar style.
Old 2009-04-23, 09:16 PM   #8
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
07 STi limited's... 2 for sale in bay area currently. I'm just scared to death of how many miles the original owner put on the stock tune.

I loved the BMW 335i i drove... the shitty thing is that even used I'm paying mid 30's for it.

I leaning toward an 06' WRX or STI becasue I have a DP and COBB sways that will fit collecting dust in my garage.... and they are reasonably priced. But I also like the 09' 5 doors for practicality and under the radar style.
Well, on the Limiteds, what was the tune? Was is a Cobb stage 2 flash? Or a bigger tune? If it is the Cobb flash I really don't think you have anything to worry about. The STi is a pretty stout car and unless the guy was an idiot and had an intake and a bad tune I bet you are fine.

Also, keep in mind that those sways you have won't find a WRX and an STi, the STi sways are a little different than the WRX ones (I think the STi ones are a little longer...) Likewise, I bet you know this, but you can't just slap a downpipe on and call it good, you need a tune...that was in reference to the DP you have...
Old 2009-04-23, 09:30 PM   #9
Skidder
EJ18

So i guess the 07 STI's had a horrible stock tune... where they would basically fry the rings. But i guess its nothing to worry about because Subaru is pretty good about talking care of you if the car is stock (and under warranty).

As far as everything else... yup not really new to the Subaru game. COBB builds their parts to fit several models without having to be retooled, so to put the sway on either cars all you do is mount it on different sides of the endlinks. Well I think that's how it goes?
Old 2009-04-23, 09:31 PM   #10
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

STI is not a great DD.

Dedicated track car is not a bad idea. Here is a RWD option.

Chip the A5 = +50HP and put some suspension on it. The former can be had fairly cheaply and later can be done in stages.

Both are often available at Audi Club event auctions at drastically reduced prices.
Old 2009-04-23, 10:56 PM   #11
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

+1 for not trying to have one do-it-all car. Get something nice for DD, and something cheap but with potential for the track car.
Old 2009-04-24, 05:20 PM   #12
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

From that list, the 335 XI is by far the best car for a sporty, refined DD... However, I love our 07 Limited, it is the perfect balance of fun and comfort. I could be comfortable in a 08-09 STi as a DD though, as long as it were to stay mostly stock. I'd pass on the rest, there are too many "little things" that disqualify the rest in my opinion.

What is this about the limited tune? I've never heard of an issue, can you provide a link? I'm curious.
Old 2009-04-24, 05:35 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Personally, if I were spending around $30k on a fun DD, I'd go w/ a '08 STi. Sure they're a little harsh, but my GF (fiance!) has a Saab 9-3 which is plenty cushy for a long trip or something.

IMO, the STi in stock form is plenty refined for putting up with daily, has plenty of power to spare, has plenty of cargo space/4-door practicality, AWD for the snow, and can go to the track w/ just a set of brake pads tossed in the Brembos.

If I could sell the race car and the SVX for decent prices, I'd be all over an '08/'09 STi.
Old 2009-04-24, 07:52 PM   #14
Skidder
EJ18

Yeah... i drove an 06' STi from SF to Tahoe. The seats were a little uncomfortable for the long drive, but all in all it seems like a very livable DD.

MattR: I read way too much crap on nasioc, its probably not healthy. But since 07' Subaru started using open loop and closed loop maps for the STi's and the tuning was crap... that's why they keep issuing reflashes for the 07-09 STi's. All in all I think its nothing to worry about... its probably something the nasioc kids blew out of proportion.

An I love the new STi's... some don't... but i do. I have not driven it yet because lithia doesn't have any to test drive. Its on my list of things to do.

and if the BMW wasn't 45K it would be really hard to choose between the two
Old 2009-04-24, 09:10 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

If you really like the BMW's, isn't the 135i quite a bit cheaper than a 335i?
Old 2009-04-24, 09:23 PM   #16
Skidder
EJ18

The practicality is way down with a 2 door, 4 seater, RWD. Also I just don't like how the rocker panels are curved. And I'm pretty sure they are still high 30's.

If i was going for that small of a car i would look at one of those Hyndai Genesis coupes... cheaper, more reliable, brembos, and a LSD. (only M-series BMWs have LSDs these days)
Old 2009-04-25, 03:29 PM   #17
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

I loved my evo. Although it may not be as practical. Long trips suck, because there are no cruise control, but i never had any problems with the seats they were comfy enough for me and no one ever complained.

The 08 STi would be sweet. 4 doors, wagon, and fast, I would sport it haha. Another option you could look at is the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliarts? they are a 2.0l turbocharged 237 HP motor with mivec. Never driven one but ridden in one and they get up and scoot, and they wont rape your wallet either.
Old 2009-04-25, 03:59 PM   #18
Skidder
EJ18

Ralliart is a good option... but lack of manual trans makes it a no go; I'll take mine without the slappy paddle sissy shifter please.
Old 2009-04-25, 10:24 PM   #19
wrxkidid
EJ205

very true. i did hear that it works pretty damn well though.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:01 PM   #20
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

09 wrx.

/thread
Old 2009-04-26, 12:09 AM   #21
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
09 wrx.

/thread
Why? Sorry I guess its just me but I hate having to worry about tranny issues...and there is nothing different about the 09 trans...
Old 2009-04-26, 01:17 AM   #22
wrxkidid
EJ205

worry wort
Old 2009-04-26, 05:51 AM   #23
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkidid View Post
worry wort
Meh, I don't really worry about it so much anymore...well with the Stg 2 power, but I want to slap on an 18g and that just isn't goin to happen until I beef up the trans....
Old 2009-04-26, 10:35 AM   #24
DaveWRX
EJ22

Car: 03 WRB WRX

I still think the 09 WRX would be the best bet. It's faster than previous years and already has a very nice suspension. Comfortable ride as well. I'm 6'5 and it was a joy to drive one.
DaveWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 12:04 PM   #25
Evo Mike
EJ251

my vote goes to the new Evo X GSR with SSS, Aero, and Nav.

You can get em for as low as 29k$ plus TTL.

It all highly depends on what you want. If you want to mod it and go fast, the Evo's are the way to go. Even though it's a subie forum.. most subie guys will agree. However, the STi's are much nicer cars all around. The interior doesn't look half bad and the drivetrain is fuking awesome. My point being, there are ups and downs for either car.

I've owned an evo VIII and an M3.. and my bro owns an "STi". All in all, I like the new X best.. but it must have the nav, sss, and aero.. otherwise, my vote goes to the last model of the older body style STi.

The list you put up compare totally different cars. If you want lux, go with BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, maybe even VW.. It all depends on what YOU want.