Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2009-05-08, 01:22 AM   #26
pike
EJ18

Car: wrb Bugeye, 94 rx7tt
Class: X

yeah Im pretty sure he was just trying to help the guy out. since he didnt care about the tires. as stated in thread....hmmm i bet youd like to be 10% bigger. ha I guess Im a noob and Im also pretty young but do all you old people just get your panties in a bunch or what? I guess you could post up formulas and 10% this 5% that. but seriously if hes not autocrossing or anything and hes just driving it on the street... who gives a fuck. seriously... you guys e-thuggin or what? idk but some of you guys on here are some douchy niggas for sure.

ps flame me all you want cause i dont give a fuck.

Last edited by pike; 2009-05-08 at 01:30 AM.
pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 10:06 AM   #27
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike View Post
yeah Im pretty sure he was just trying to help the guy out. since he didnt care about the tires. as stated in thread....hmmm i bet youd like to be 10% bigger. ha I guess Im a noob and Im also pretty young but do all you old people just get your panties in a bunch or what? I guess you could post up formulas and 10% this 5% that. but seriously if hes not autocrossing or anything and hes just driving it on the street... who gives a fuck. seriously... you guys e-thuggin or what? idk but some of you guys on here are some douchy niggas for sure.

ps flame me all you want cause i dont give a fuck.
I'm pretty sure people don't like tires that cut themselves open via a fender rub on their daily drivers. Those of us with basic educations like to use these things call "numbers" in order to quantify the discussion about whether or not those tires might fit, instead of just making neanderthal assumptions that if you're not autocrossing, a tire only has to be round in order to work.

Also, your shitty attitude and racial epithets are a one way ticket to ban land. No one wants to hear that shit here. This was a relatively gentle and informative argument. It wasn't a panties bunched, e-thugged out, argument until you decided to make it one. So it's good that you don't give a fuck about being flamed, because I think you're a raging douche that's making something out of nothing and is trolling for a ban.
Old 2009-05-08, 10:29 AM   #28
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

^ That.

Um, yah, sorry for having a discussion about the topic at hand. This discussion was completely civilized and interesting prior to your post, Pike.

Kevin, I have always been told that you'll get the best gas milage by driving in the highest gear that the engine runs smoothly in (RE: no lugging). I actually just read this in Amanda's Honda Civic owner's manual this week too. You're posts in this thead indicating that being below the torque peak is worse for gas milage are certainly news to me... At least we agree that taller tires will hurt your acceleration.
Old 2009-05-08, 10:40 AM   #29
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
^ That.

Um, yah, sorry for having a discussion about the topic at hand. This discussion was completely civilized and interesting prior to your post, Pike.

Kevin, I have always been told that you'll get the best gas milage by driving in the highest gear that the engine runs smoothly in (RE: no lugging). I actually just read this in Amanda's Honda Civic owner's manual this week too. You're posts in this thead indicating that being below the torque peak is worse for gas milage are certainly news to me... At least we agree that taller tires will hurt your acceleration.
Well technically speaking, an engine is most efficient at peak torque (hence the reason it's making all that torque). But what I think that really means is "most efficient at max load". At freeway speeds you're not at max load. Common sense makes me expect to get better mileage on the taller tires simply because the engine rpms are lower. Sure the engine may be running 5% less than peak efficiency at the lower rpm, but if it's turning 10% slower, you're still going to net a fuel savings.

But I'm just making that up in my head... I don't really know how it works. I think you'd need to dyno the car at freeway loads and see where the peak torque is on the motor. Or just get one of those deals that monitors injector pulse-width and directly calculates the fuel you're expending and measure a few different tire sizes on the freeway. I bet there's a ton of info about this on one of the hypermiler forums.
Old 2009-05-08, 11:37 AM   #30
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

In the days of carburetors, I believe optimal gas mileage was in the gear that required the least throttle or butterfly angle to maintain a given speed. That takes into account or in a way eliminates all the other variables.

Not sure if that is true in the days of DBW, EFI, and throttle bodies, but it probably is.
Old 2009-05-08, 11:57 AM   #31
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

For freeway cruise, you only have to make the engine output match the combined resistance of drag, drivetrain loss, the portion of gravity that the grade of the road makes you work against (or with) and rolling resistance. So the energy you need to maintain a given speed is a constant (assuming the road grade is constant too) and must be equalled. Increasing tire diameter only affects this equation in two ways- it reduces engine speed which reduces the power it's producing at a given throttle input, and it reduces the torque transferring from the drive wheels to the pavement. These two things must be counteracted by the one thing that can- more throttle.

So theoretically I guess it could go either way, but instinct and experience tell me that a little more throttle is less efficient than a little more RPM. The best anecdotal evidence I can give is that my RS got 32-33 mpg on my courier run back in the day, but the wagon only gets 28 or 29 on the same route + level freeway driving from Sac to Vacaville. They weighed about the same, had the same tires essentially, but the car with the bigger, more powerful motor turning at slightly more RPM was 15% more efficient. The conclusion I drew was that the RS was cruising closer to peak torque and therefore was getting more energy out of the fuel and the wagon does.

Last edited by Kevin M; 2009-05-08 at 12:00 PM.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 09:50 PM   #32
Evo Mike
EJ251

hhahaha sorry guys, i didn't care about the "type" of tire.. i.e. dunlop, conti, etc. I'm not concerned about how sticky they are. BUT i did state the size i wanted because i KNOW that size works. the size that the other member was trying to sell me wouldn't work because the speedo would be off.. it would look weird as well. I kinda didn't like that.

As far as the "older people" going on the offensive.. These guys have been on this forum for a long time. They also know a pretty good amount about subaru related things. Yeah, they dont like it when you go and have fun with your car on the street but, it's for good reason. IMO, if you wanna go and drive it like you stole it on the street.. it's a free country. Individuals are free to choose to do what they like; however, be prepared to suffer the consiquences. =)

anyway, i hope i get to come out to the meet soon! my classes finally end!