Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-04-15, 02:07 PM   #51
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I think the important thing here to point out is that certainly no one wants bad blood with either of you guys, and I think it's true to say that no one really wants you guys to just go away if you really feel like you have something to add here.

It's just that long time members have pretty much all been around for 5 or more years. So it really is cliquish, with lots of inside jokes, and a particular way of doing things around here. And we do in fact come down on the n00bs just for being new. It's definitely not fair, but it never really was intended to be. Because the board is so small and personal, joining the forums isn't just about being able to post, it's about joining a family of sorts (albeit a mildly dysfunctional one ), and so we just sorta started ensuring the new members fit in with the old members by beating up on anyone different.

However, I'm actually a bit torn lately about whether or not that sort of hazing is a good idea. It does a pretty good job at keeping out the street racers and the ricers. And certainly it can be entertaining and an ego boost for the old timers that have seen it all and answered all the same questions over and over to tear into someone that wants to know what BOV they should get. But on the other hand, we may be driving away people that would be assets to the club just because they're not a carbon copy of the people already here. Cody and 100% keep coming up, and again they're a great example of this. Both those guys ended up being decent members that contribute to the boards, but I'm actually amazed they stuck around long enough for us to realize it, simply because we really did give them a lot of shit over a lot of insignificant stuff.

And that's why I hope you guys stick around, at least at some level. Chris, you seem to know quite a bit about EVOs, and even though this is a Subaru club, very few of us are hard-core fanboys of Subarus and most of us appreciate anything on 4 (or even 2) wheels. We like to have knowledgeable folks around, period. And Mary, the same thing that pissed off a lot of people is also something worth contributing if it's in appropriate doses. I don't think anyone was really upset about the rant/rave thread until it got ugly at the end. Before the whole cop thing, it was something interesting (and dare I say entertaining) to read, albeit a bit hectic. Same with the $33M Megabucks thread, which actually sparked a decent discussion. All you need to do is to let the thread play out on its own w/o turning it into a frantic blog of personal info, and dial back the crazy and/or inflammatory statements that lead to arguments and hurt feelings. Stuff like "cops suck" and "I think it would be fun to shoot people" will definitely get a response from folks, but not a good one.

And one more thing to mention, we take the tech forums kinda seriously. The threads in there are all about benefiting everyone. So if someone asks for help in there, we try hard to answer their questions seriously regardless of someone's reputation elsewhere on the boards. And we take special offense to folks that go off-topic and derail a tech thread (n00bs really get pounded for that especially). It's not something that we have posted as a "rule" or anything, it's just sort of the way it is, and people figure that out just by being around here a while. The idea is that as people make threads there, they should remain helpful and on-topic for all, so anyone else that runs across a similar issue in the future might already have their questions answered. When Mary played the "I'm just going to listen to the people I like" card in her tech thread and then went on as if she were IMing, I don't think she realized that we basically consider all the threads in the tech forum as "community property", and that she was essentially offending the folks that work hard to try to make the tech forum useful to everyone.

So anyway... I'm hoping this drama is pretty much over. And I'm glad no one ended up getting banned. And I'm tired of writing long introspective posts (brought to you by my lack of important shit to do at work this week). In the words of Rodney King, "OW! Quit hitting me in the face, asshole!" Cant we all just get along?
Old 2009-04-15, 04:04 PM   #52
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
So anyway... I'm hoping this drama is pretty much over. And I'm glad no one ended up getting banned. And I'm tired of writing long introspective posts (brought to you by my lack of important shit to do at work this week). In the words of Rodney King, "OW! Quit hitting me in the face, asshole!" Cant we all just get along?
Your attitude during this little episode has been possibly the most tolerant, reasonable and non-assholish I've ever seen you be.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:09 PM   #53
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Scott is right. We want you guys to stick around. I remember years ago when I was pissed at Scott. I ended up breaking into his car, stealing his CD case, garage door opener, and some other crap just because I was so mad. Then occasionally driving by and opening up his garage, but that's all in the past now and he forgave me.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:25 PM   #54
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Scott is right. We want you guys to stick around. I remember years ago when I was pissed at Scott. I ended up breaking into his car, stealing his CD case, garage door opener, and some other crap just because I was so mad. Then occasionally driving by and opening up his garage, but that's all in the past now and he forgave me.
Sonofa...!

Old 2009-04-16, 08:00 AM   #55
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Old 2009-04-17, 02:41 PM   #56
20psiMR
EJ18

Car: 06 Evolution MR
Class: #20 SM

Do WORK son!

Good post Scott, but Im still watching you! J/K hehe. I'll still be lurking, your post actually changed my mind from leaving
Chris #20 SM
ROBISPEC ///
WORKS / WHITELINE / ADVAN RS / RE-01R / ZEITRONIX
PERFORMANCE FRICTION / ETS / FERODO / COSWORTH

My Picture Thread and Dyno Sheet
Tuned by ME!
20psiMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 02:42 PM   #57
20psiMR
EJ18

Car: 06 Evolution MR
Class: #20 SM

Do WORK son!

That and I just saw the KING on another forum so I had to steal the pic bwhahaha
Chris #20 SM
ROBISPEC ///
WORKS / WHITELINE / ADVAN RS / RE-01R / ZEITRONIX
PERFORMANCE FRICTION / ETS / FERODO / COSWORTH

My Picture Thread and Dyno Sheet
Tuned by ME!
20psiMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:14 AM   #58
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Tech threads

Tech threads are just that...

Go read the F'ing sticky.

Perhaps I was a bit mean to a noob for which I apologized, but if we don't try and uphold our policies, this place will end up like a mini i-Club/nasioc. All noise and little substance.

It is not unreasonable to expect noobs to read stickys, search or post in the right place.

Hello posts do not belong in tech. If your first post is in tech and not technical, expect to be flamed!

And for our longer term users, you know better than to further pollute tech threads with BS responses.
Old 2009-04-24, 09:32 AM   #59
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

You seriously need to take a chill pill. You are not a mod and even if you were, I'd tell you the same thing. Lighten up. A mod can easily move the thread to General if they decide to do so. Hell, PM one and ask them to do so if you're foaming at the mouth like it sounds like you are in the post above.
Old 2009-04-24, 09:46 AM   #60
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
You seriously need to take a chill pill. You are not a mod and even if you were, I'd tell you the same thing. Lighten up. A mod can easily move the thread to General if they decide to do so. Hell, PM one and ask them to do so if you're foaming at the mouth like it sounds like you are in the post above.
No, you need to stop feeling the need to comment on every post in every F'ing thread!

Name one piece of technical value your post added to that thread?

The tech thread sticky specifically says you can expect to get your chops smacked if you don't search.

I apologized for being a bit hard on the noob, and tried to turn it into a tech thread and you felt compelled to pour your brand of BS all over it adding nothing.
Old 2009-04-24, 09:57 AM   #61
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Dude, it wasn't a tech thread. He posted in the wrong forum. It was his first time. Lighten up.

Now back in the real world, where we care about helping people more than making them wrong, we answer their question, which I did. I answered his question, you bitched.
Old 2009-04-24, 10:05 AM   #62
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

And you continue to have an OT discussion in a tech thread after 2 mods told you to stop.

I did lighten up.

Juice was probably right to give me a nudge, but you had no reason to say anything, but you had to be an ass and chime in again and again, and again...

Go crap on somebody else's lawn over at Nasioc or I-Club if you want or at least in OT.

You want to give me crap, I can take it, just don't do it in a thread IN THE TECH FORUM!!! Make your own Dean is an old crochity fart thread in OT if you want and flame me all day long.

This is my flame thread, and you are on the Bunsen burner today!

Last edited by Dean; 2009-04-24 at 10:10 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:09 AM   #63
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

No mods asked me to do anything.

You don't seem to have lightened up.

You shouldn't act like an asshole and expect me to not say something. You took that thead OT all by yourself. I truly think that it's fucked up for you to behave this way and since I have made my point (which you choose to ignore), I will stop chiming in.
Old 2009-04-24, 10:10 AM   #64
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

CODY
Old 2009-04-27, 11:47 AM   #65
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

This has been an interesting read simply because it makes me remember when I was new here - almost 4 years ago now! I did my best to make my introductory post mature and thoughtful, and felt that I was welcomed by all immediately.

Sometimes I still feel like an outsider simply because I'm out of the way and haven't been able to make it to meets/autox as much as I'd like. . . but I've never felt like I was being ostracized in any way. Or maybe I've just earned pity for having the slowest car of the bunch.

Lots of folk here have their differences, but taken as a whole this is a down-to-earth group. As long as you keep your own feet planted firmly, you won't have any trouble.
Old 2009-04-27, 12:26 PM   #66
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

I make it a point to throw my gum at your car every time I drive through Carson City. Just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you.
Old 2009-04-27, 07:40 PM   #67
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I hate to break your heart, but you either have terrible aim, or have been chewing bird poo the whole time.
Old 2009-04-27, 09:29 PM   #68
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Oh yeah, the gum is only used to lure birds onto your car.
Old 2009-04-28, 12:48 AM   #69
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

haha ^

I feel like i am involved in some of the single line stupidity and i apologize.

And steve I do know a Navy Seal. He actually is a team leader. i dunno if that was directed at me though...
Old 2009-04-28, 09:15 AM   #70
SteveM
EJ22

Car: RED WRX
Class: Spectator

Mangia la mia polvere

No not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkidid View Post
haha ^

I feel like i am involved in some of the single line stupidity and i apologize.

And steve I do know a Navy Seal. He actually is a team leader. i dunno if that was directed at me though...
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote