Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2012-12-21, 10:41 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Cory, and the rest of you guys, talk to me about the 6.0L Ford SuperDuty

Since we had the baby, my wife and I have been tossing around the idea of selling her Outback sedan and picking up a crossover with a little more space... like a CX-5 or something. However, my wife just suggested that she keep her car and replace our truck instead.

First off, I love my truck... it's a 2001 F-250 diesel extended-cab long-bed. It's basically ideal for what we use it for: picking up crap at Lowes, helping people move, and towing the car to/from the track. It's not fancy or anything, but it's plenty comfy for how infrequently it's used. Also, it's been super reliable, it's got super low mileage, and it's paid off. The one single thing that sucks about it: we can't put a baby seat in it because the jump-seats in the back are too small. So if we ever need to go somewhere together with the truck... we have to take two cars.

So, the suggestion from my wife is that I look into trading the truck in for a newer F250/F350 with a crew-cab. Now, I could try to find another of the same generation with the 7.3L diesel, but the chances that there are any in the same great shape as my truck, or with the same low mileage is pretty low. The obvious choice is to grab a 2008 or newer with the sweet 6.4L motor, but those are all in the $30k-$40k range. So, I'm thinking about picking up a 2006+/- 6.0L F250, even though those 6.0L motors are absolutely notorious for failing.

My question is whether or not any of you guys have 1st hand experience with the 6.0L, what to look for when shopping, what it takes to make these things reliable, etc. I know that the big killer of these things is heat. Apparently the oil cooler is built into the block and is cooled by the engine coolant. But that cooler tends to clog up and eventually the motor goes blammo. The other big issue is the EGR cooler, which also uses engine coolant to cool the exhaust, and tends to corrode and fail. Finally, the FICM power supply takes a dump on a regular basis, and apparently there's some reason to swap the head studs out for ARPs. There are companies that make upgrades to address all these issues, but it's like $5000 in parts to fully bulletproof the motor, not including the labor to install it all. Cory, have you ever done that work? Any idea how hard it is to do without pulling the cab?

Now, if I could find a 6.0L truck that's in good shape for under $20k, and then throw $5k at it to fix it up, I could justify going with that generation truck. I'm just not sure how to know I'm buying a truck that's in good shape, or how hard/expensive the upgrades really are to make it reliable. And if I need to spend more than $25k on a 6.0L, it seems like I should just suck it up and spend $30k for a 2008, since in addition to getting a much more reliable motor, the rest of the truck is much nicer as well.

Any advice? Also, anyone looking for a nice no-frills diesel pickup?
Old 2012-12-21, 11:41 AM   #2
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Get an F650. It has room for a child seat.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 12:13 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Get an F650. It has room for a child seat.

Actually, I really like having the long bed so I can fit 8' lumber in the back with the tailgate up. But a crew-cab long-bed is basically the longest truck there is. The only thing bigger is a crew-cab dually... and that's not longer, just wider. so, I think we're going to look for a crew-cab short-bed... which sucks for carrying lumber, but at least it's no longer than my current truck, which is already a PITA to park anywhere.
Old 2012-12-21, 12:22 PM   #4
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Also, look at the fuel mileage for various models. I can tell you that the 2009 4WD F350 Crew and Caravan shell that I use for fieldwork gets HORRIBLE mileage, as in 12 mpg to Ely and back. I've made this trip many times, and rarely is it better than that. And when my friend with an extra long and tall 2WD Sprinter tells me that he's getting ~25 mpg with the Mercedes motor, I almost cry.
Old 2012-12-21, 12:32 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS View Post
Also, look at the fuel mileage for various models. I can tell you that the 2009 4WD F350 Crew and Caravan shell that I use for fieldwork gets HORRIBLE mileage, as in 12 mpg to Ely and back. I've made this trip many times, and rarely is it better than that. And when my friend with an extra long and tall 2WD Sprinter tells me that he's getting ~25 mpg with the Mercedes motor, I almost cry.
I'm actually not too concerned with fuel mileage. My current truck gets in the 13-16 mpg range (around town and towing... a little better on a long drive w/o the trailer). Pretty much anything in the double digits is fine, since we don't drive the truck all that often. I think we average like 4000 miles/year on the truck... 12 mpg wouldn't be the end of the world.

Plus it's not like there are lots of choices in diesel pickups. I don't want a Chevy, and I'd punch myself in the balls before I own a Dodge. No matter how awesome the Cumins/Allison combos are... they're still surrounded by a Dodge.
Old 2012-12-24, 12:01 AM   #6
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

The only one of those jobs that I've done is the EGR repairs. It's a time consuming som-bitch, but not excessively difficult by any means.

As far as the others, unfortunately, if they require serious engine dis-assembly or removal, I don't think we've got the means to do it. I've heard of them, and how often they occur, but never done any of the repairs.

I know you said you don't want a Chevy, but I REALLY love my dad's Duramax...
Old 2013-01-02, 09:57 AM   #7
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I don't want a Chevy, and I'd punch myself in the balls before I own a Dodge. No matter how awesome the Cumins/Allison combos are... they're still surrounded by a Dodge.
Isn't the Cummins/Allison combo incredibly rare, like a couple thousand produced in the 2004 or 2005 range? And most were likely all bought by light-duty haulers/transporters because of the added option cost, so mileage will likely be in the half million range (complete guess, but considering how many miles those guys rack up...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
I know you said you don't want a Chevy, but I REALLY love my dad's Duramax...
If it were me, I'd struggle to go with a Chevy/GMC simply because of the IFS. I know it's as strong, competent, etc., and apparentlyoffers a better ride (typically because the few I've ridden in/driven of each have been levelled or on a decent 6"), but I think I'd still have to go Ford/Dodge for the solid axle just cause. And despite my dad's 2005 Dodge 1500 (which was mine) holding up well, feeling solid as new, and mechanically sound at just under 100k, I'd probably have to go Ford because every other recent Dodge/Chrysler product is basically a piece of garbage aside from the four-door Rubi Wrangler and 2011+ Grand Cherokee - and neither of those are worth the money.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 12:19 PM   #8
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

IFS >>> solid axle for anything but high-articulation offroad stuff. For all the same reasons your Miata has IRS instead of a live axle.
Old 2013-01-02, 03:13 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

It almost doesn't matter since I prefer the Fords and they're like $3000 cheaper than the equivalent Chevy/Dodge.

The only reason to look at Chevy/Dodge is if I can find a nice low mileage '07 or something from the same year the Fords still had the 6.0L motors... but since they cost the same as an '08 Ford with the 6.4L motor, it still seems silly for me to consider them.
Old 2013-01-09, 11:34 AM   #10
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Solid axles suck, especially for off road use. That is all.
Old 2013-01-09, 12:46 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey View Post
Solid axles suck, especially for off road use. That is all.
I'm going to guess that what "off road" means to most people (a tiny jeep crawling over boulders with spotters, winches, and beers) is different from what "off road" means to you (an armored truck screaming across the desert at 70 mph with guns blazing).
Old 2013-01-09, 12:48 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Also, I've expanded my truck search to include the newer ecoboost powered F150's.

On paper, they actually tow nearly the same as my 7.3L diesel does if you can find them properly equipped, drive much more comfortably when not towing, and they're much cheaper than similar era SuperDuties. They're just hard to find with a crew-cab, a 6.5' bed, and the max tow package.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:13 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

What about range when towing? I imagine the fuel economy isn't as good.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:23 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
What about range when towing? I imagine the fuel economy isn't as good.
Meh, I don't care. I don't tow enough (load-wise and frequency-wise) for it to make a big difference.

In fact, that's perhaps the best reason to switch to gas... the premium I pay for the diesel motor doesn't pay me back fast enough in fuel mileage 'cause I tow like just 4 weekends a year. People are getting like 19 mpg in the F150s combined when they're not towing. I'm getting like 16 mpg in the F250. And diesel is more expensive these days than regular. So, even if the towing mileage is under 10, I'm probably still saving money.

That said... I'd still rather have a diesel. I've already paid up-front for the motor... I'm not sure "cashing out" on it is ever going to be worth it. And towing with the diesel is totally stress free. 90% of the time on the road, you can't even tell there's a trailer back there.
Old 2013-01-09, 04:57 PM   #15
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I'd trade my gas 5L NA F150 for a turbo diesel any day almost regardless of gas price difference. Towing without torque is not fun especially up a grade at altitude with a heavy load.

Stick to diesel Scott!
Old 2013-01-09, 05:39 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd trade my gas 5L NA F150 for a turbo diesel any day almost regardless of gas price difference. Towing without torque is not fun especially up a grade at altitude with a heavy load.

Stick to diesel Scott!
You realize that the twin turbo V6 ecoboost motor in the F150 make 420ftlbs of torque right? That's only 80 less than my diesel. It also makes 365 hp, which is quite a bit more than the 7.3L's 250 hp.

The F150 has a towing capacity of 11,100 lbs if you get the max towing package... which is just under the 12,500 of the SuperDuty. Considering I tow like 6,000 lbs at most... it's basically moot.

That ecoboost truck is kind of amazing.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:39 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

And that's stock. I bet stage 1 tunes on that thing are impressive.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:41 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Who wants to help me put an ecoboost V6 in a Miata?
Old 2013-01-09, 08:03 PM   #19
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
In or on?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 08:27 PM   #20
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Heck, you've got a welder, why not two smallblock v8's instead?

Old 2013-01-09, 08:28 PM   #21
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Cory, but only if we write it up and get it on the schedule before he hears about it.

Old 2013-01-09, 09:14 PM   #22
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Heck, you've got a welder, why not two smallblock v8's instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3VZ1l4qgU
If it's going to be that kinda party, why not put two Cummings turbo diesels, the turbine from an M1A2, and the first stage of a Saturn V in a Miata? Quit half-assing, Nick!
Old 2013-01-10, 08:17 AM   #23
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
You realize that the twin turbo V6 ecoboost motor in the F150 make 420ftlbs of torque right? That's only 80 less than my diesel. It also makes 365 hp, which is quite a bit more than the 7.3L's 250 hp.

The F150 has a towing capacity of 11,100 lbs if you get the max towing package... which is just under the 12,500 of the SuperDuty. Considering I tow like 6,000 lbs at most... it's basically moot.

That ecoboost truck is kind of amazing.
I forgot about the new conventional gas turbos being available. My NA 5l is a wimpy gas guzzling POS.
Old 2013-01-10, 08:45 AM   #24
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
If it's going to be that kinda party..
..Imma stick mah dick in the mashed potatoes!
Old 2013-01-10, 09:54 AM   #25
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I just lost a post, so cliff notes - I bet you, and the family, would be happier with the F150 Eco Boost in the long run.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote