Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2006-12-04, 09:53 AM   #76
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI
and on a side note a rallyX program up here would rule ...
MattR and I went as far as talking with Rich Cable to get RFR to plan to grade their ATV/motocross course for rallycross use. Unfortunately, at the time there were maybe 5 people in Reno interested in Rally. You'd make 6.

Since then Matt and I have both lost interest (partially because our cars are setup for autocross/road-race and would be destroyed by anything off-road), and RFR's being run by Jeremy Cable who was never in on the rally planning loop. And since RenoSCCA has since moved forward w/ the Time Trials/Road Race program, there's just no manpower or resources available for a third race program in the region. Reno RallyX is good and dead IMO.
Old 2006-12-04, 12:23 PM   #77
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Biscuit would be 7th , which is well short of 30 or how ever many people would be needed.

Dead before it gets off the ground. Sad, we are in such a great area for it (lots of dirt around here) and yet not enough local interest, With the Xgames last year i'm sure a few more people are interested now. slight chance i could leverage ridelaketahoe.com to find a few more people (I definitely could put ads up there , but we mostly get out of area web surfers). Maybe (me) buying an add in the reno news paper. (assuming the types that like to drive off road read the news paper on a regular basis)

I know if we were able to include some snow-events that the SFR RallyX group would come up. I've been trying to help them find a suitable location to hold a snow rally at. OR if we include the events in the CRS ( California Rally Series) , or got one included in the National Rallyx program . that could be used to get a great turn out at 3+ events, and then just hope there is enough return interest.

But if you (with experience organizing events) can't get it off the ground then I'm sure you're right. I lack the experience to attempt to organize such a thing, (and possibly even the maturity) and may be forced to leave the area on top of all that. Still a bit sad though (esp considering our area / and car types) There is always driving down to SF for rallyx ..

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 12:28 PM   #78
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Oh also , From what fellow Rally crossers have told me (the ones who also drive in full stage rallies) Rally Tires can actually Freeze , and the range of rally tires offered by some manufacturers don't include a 'snow rally tire' at all. The very limited searching i've done for rally tires has shown that to be true. (I believe his name is Mike, he runs SWRallyX.com) was telling me how at a rally he attended in Oregon , the winner in Open AWD was just using Snowtires and was far far ahead of others using various Dirt oriented rally tires. So a Subaru with Snow tires may have been more likely to make that transition drive then a Subaru with Rally tires, as odd as that initially sounds.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 12:29 PM   #79
rubberbiscuitt
EJ22

Car: L

just push the brake pedal.

count me in too. and i have two friends that have wanted to go to a thunder hill rally cross with me(in their own car). and i saw a couple other voulenteers at the reno rally that also rally crossed with the bay area region. even though it may be dead, i thought i'd mention just for the record.
rubberbiscuitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 12:31 PM   #80
rubberbiscuitt
EJ22

Car: L

just push the brake pedal.

oh wow i type slow. alex got in there and added me for me.
rubberbiscuitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 12:56 PM   #81
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

It's too bad this enthusiasm wasn't around 3 or 4 years ago when Matt and I started looking into to rallycross. 'Course even then, I don't think we'd have been able to pull it off. So much work goes into running a well established series like Reno's Solo program that the few of us couldn't even run that, let alone the work it takes to get a completely new program off the ground.

Plus, like I said earlier, I'm not interested any longer. My car's gone the road-race route, and I really enjoy that. I don't have the time or money to try to campaign a rally car as well, even if we made it a winter/off-season series.
Old 2006-12-04, 01:14 PM   #82
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

This thread is not intended to be a discussion about interest in getting a rallyx program going. If it's something you want to pursue, you will need to take it upon yourself to spearhead the operation, I did it once, and it went no where, mostly due to lack of interest and resources.