Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2012-04-13, 12:41 AM   #1
Arkansan
n00b

Car: 07 STI

Never Pull Out
Thumbs up I Wanted to introduce my self, and ask for some advice.

Hey guys,

My name is Justin and I drive an 07 STI. As my screen name suggests, I'm from Arkansas. I moved to incline Village last December to work, ride, and study teaching in the grad program at SNC. I'm not a car expert by any means, but I can install most parts with a good writup. I look forward to meeting some of you guys at the meets.

As for the advice I need. I will be moving to South Lake, CA for work next month and I will eventually need to get my car registered in CA. The issue is that I have a full Cobb turbo-back. As you guys know, the DP is catted, but CA is strict about their visual inspection and the new higher smog standards. I was wondering if you guys knew a "good" inspection shop to take it too. If that's not an option, I was wondering if any of you had access to a stock DP and perhaps would assist with me swapping it out for the inspection. It seemed like this was the best thread to post something like this.

Thanks,
Justin
Arkansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 01:02 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Hi Justin, welcome to the boards!

You're pretty unlikely to find a "good" shop. I hear there are lots of stings and what not that keep CA shops legit.

Are the Cobb bits not CA legal? You should verify there are no EO numbers for the parts, since that would make your car leal as-is. Cobb's a pretty big seller, I'd hope they'd take the time to get their catted exhausts certified. Then again I'm in NV, so I really don't keep up with the CA rules.

Other than that, you'll be doing what everyone else in CA does: swap the stock bits on for smog, then cringe, lift off the throttle, and cross your fingers every time you see a cop.
Old 2012-04-13, 11:31 AM   #3
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Easy, Live on the NEVADA side of town. (stateline,nv or zephyer cove,nv) no smog, and really cheap car registration. rents are a little higher on the NV side, but car registration is cheaper , and no smog, just a $1 vin inspection.

i think if you live in NV but work in CA you have to pay CA income taxes ,but you might get some sort of tax break (i'm not sure... check a cpa or someone)

If you don't make much money, (except for car registration) its better to live on the cali side.

If you can get a job on the NV side, and live on the NV side, your life will be a lot better (well you'll keep more of the money you earned and have an easier time enjoying your car how you want to)

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 01:35 PM   #4
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Hi Justin, welcome to the boards!

You're pretty unlikely to find a "good" shop. I hear there are lots of stings and what not that keep CA shops legit.

Are the Cobb bits not CA legal? You should verify there are no EO numbers for the parts, since that would make your car leal as-is. Cobb's a pretty big seller, I'd hope they'd take the time to get their catted exhausts certified. Then again I'm in NV, so I really don't keep up with the CA rules.

Other than that, you'll be doing what everyone else in CA does: swap the stock bits on for smog, then cringe, lift off the throttle, and cross your fingers every time you see a cop.
There are zero CARB EO'd downpipes for Subarus. I'd be all over one. There are issues with replacing a working cat. The only cats that are on the exemption list are universal. A bunch of the EO#s were recinded not too long ago. Cats that go through the exemption process cannot use any wording that implies higher performance like "hi-flow" so that probably keeps the Cobbs of the world out of it.
Old 2012-04-13, 03:32 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Phister View Post
There are zero CARB EO'd downpipes for Subarus. I'd be all over one. There are issues with replacing a working cat. The only cats that are on the exemption list are universal. A bunch of the EO#s were recinded not too long ago. Cats that go through the exemption process cannot use any wording that implies higher performance like "hi-flow" so that probably keeps the Cobbs of the world out of it.
God CA is stupid.

Here's the way the law should work: "Modification of *any* emissions related equipment requires yearly tail-pipe smog checks on a dyno under load".

So, if you don't want the hassle every year, leave your car bone stock. But if you want to mod it(or have to replace a cat on an old car), you can do *anything* you want as long as the car isn't polluting. Plus, you stimulate the economy by adding to the number of people paying for smog checks every year as all the "tuners" pay-to-play. And finally, you prevent most of the people that pollute for years at a time with their catless exhausts that are going back to stock for just the weekend when they get checked because they have to get checked every year (so they would hopefully get a hi-flow cat installed that passes the sniffer).

It's win-win-win... but CA is retarded.
Old 2012-04-13, 03:56 PM   #6
Arkansan
n00b

Never Pull Out

I think that would make too much sense sperry. I don't understand why diesels and older cares get an exception. It seems discriminatory towards newer gasoline engines and people with money. I don't think attracting cops would be an issue since the cobb exhaust is pretty damn silent. I see a lot of subies with CA plates and really loud invidea and other potato cannon exhausts. How do they get away with that? Only cat-backs?

I don't want to live on the NV side because my uncle is offering me an awesome price on his house on the CA side. It seems I need to acquire a stock DP. This should allow me to pass the visual inspection and smog, right? I wish I didn't sell my stock exhaust in AR. I was under the impression that the Cobb would pass the smog test. Thanks for the replies and advice.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:15 PM   #7
TrueNative
EJ18

Car: 05 cgm STi

I still have my full stock system sitting in the garage. When the time comes and if you still need some pieces, just let me know.
TrueNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:36 PM   #8
Arkansan
n00b

Never Pull Out

Awesome, thanks truenative.
Old 2012-04-14, 07:01 PM   #9
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
I don't think attracting cops would be an issue since the cobb exhaust is pretty damn silent. I see a lot of subies with CA plates and really loud invidea and other potato cannon exhausts. How do they get away with that? Only cat-backs?

I have a Cobb catback on an Invidia DP - silent is not how I'd describe it.

That said, toss a stock downpipe on with the Cobb CBE and you're good to go in CA - my car blows like a Prius with the stock DP on, and that's with a rich tune to boot. Track down a stock DP and you'll be fine.

Agree with all of the other headshaking on CA emissions....heh. It sucks.
Old 2012-04-14, 09:10 PM   #10
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Just went through it. Make sure you get both stock cats on there, downpipe and midpipe. I tried it with the stock shorty DP and a hi-flow catted midpipe and still got caught on the visual. I had to go home and swap on the stock midpipe too.
Old 2012-04-14, 11:59 PM   #11
Arkansan
n00b

Never Pull Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybir View Post

I have a Cobb catback on an Invidia DP - silent is not how I'd describe it.
That is a catless DP right? Mine is really not that loud as long as you stay away form WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Just went through it. Make sure you get both stock cats on there, downpipe and midpipe. I tried it with the stock shorty DP and a hi-flow catted midpipe and still got caught on the visual. I had to go home and swap on the stock midpipe too.
Jesus, what a hassle. When the time comes... do any of you guys want to help me switch them out? I will help and pay for your help.
Old 2012-04-15, 12:21 AM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
That is a catless DP right? Mine is really not that loud as long as you stay away form WOT.

Jesus, what a hassle. When the time comes... do any of you guys want to help me switch them out? I will help and pay for your help.
If you're willing to pay, just bring it by KSpeed here in Reno. Cory (MPREZIV) will have you out the door in minutes.
Old 2012-04-15, 08:36 AM   #13
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
At least they didn't notice the UP. I would have just given up and moved back to Reno...

Before two years goes by, I'm going to register the car at my Mom's since she's in a rural area that doesn't have to smog periodically. But I would have had to get it smogged no matter where in CA I registered it for initial entry into the state, as I understand it.

Oh, and +1 for Kspeed, the only place in Reno to take your Subaru (or your girlfriend's car even though it's not a Subaru).
Old 2012-04-15, 08:51 AM   #14
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Oh, and +1 for Kspeed, the only place in Reno to take anything with an engine (or your girlfriend's car even though it's not a Subaru).
FYP
Old 2012-04-16, 10:01 AM   #15
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Quote:
God CA is stupid.

Here's the way the law should work: "Modification of *any* emissions related equipment requires yearly tail-pipe smog checks on a dyno under load".

So, if you don't want the hassle every year, leave your car bone stock. But if you want to mod it(or have to replace a cat on an old car), you can do *anything* you want as long as the car isn't polluting. Plus, you stimulate the economy by adding to the number of people paying for smog checks every year as all the "tuners" pay-to-play. And finally, you prevent most of the people that pollute for years at a time with their catless exhausts that are going back to stock for just the weekend when they get checked because they have to get checked every year (so they would hopefully get a hi-flow cat installed that passes the sniffer).

It's win-win-win... but CA is retarded.
RAmen brother. I've ranted the same thing before. If it blows clean STFU.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:48 PM   #16
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

I could help out for beer/pizza when the time comes. Though i'm glacier slow compared to Cory at KSpeed.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 10:37 PM   #17
Arkansan
n00b

Never Pull Out

Quote:
If you're willing to pay, just bring it by KSpeed here in Reno. Cory (MPREZIV) will have you out the door in minutes.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
I could help out for beer/pizza when the time comes. Though i'm glacier slow compared to Cory at KSpeed.
Haha, I may hit you up.
Old 2012-05-04, 02:22 PM   #18
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

My friend has passed emissions several times with a full Cobb TBE and I passed a few times with a full TBE on my EVO. I just made sure the exhaust wasn't shiny and BS'd with the dude while he was doing the inspection. When they asked if it was modded I just shrugged and said that's how I bought it and they told me it was stock. I never had a problem. YMMV
Old 2012-07-11, 08:37 AM   #19
Arkansan
n00b

Never Pull Out

Yeah? I'm going to attempt that soon. If it doesn't work, I will be looking to borrow a stock dp.