Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-05-26, 05:52 PM   #1
renoguy20
EJ18

Car: 2005, Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Default H1 hid conversion

I just purchased an h1 hid conversion kit. I have read that i need to disable the drl module so that reduced voltage doesnt cause my hid's to not light up. I have also read that the drl uses some logic along with a resistor pack to place extra resistance on the ground wire. So if this is the case, I should be able to directly ground the his ballasts and hid's would function correctly. If anyone knows how to disable the drl's let me know, otherwise i will put a multimeter on the ground wire and see if the resistance decreases to ground when the headlight switch is on and if it does just ground the hid ballast ground wire directly to ground.

Also, If any of you have done this conversion, tell me, The bulbs on the 05 wrx are h1, the factory wiring goes through a plastic housing with an o-ring to keep the elements from the bulb. With a conversion kit, it would seem the hid bulb (requiring different wiring), would require some drilling of this plasic cover / seal. correct?

Last edited by renoguy20; 2006-05-26 at 05:55 PM.
renoguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-26, 09:34 PM   #2
ryan4601
EJ22

Car: 2004 wrx

I have done the HID conversion on my wrx(04 H1 bulbs). the new kit should come with a rubber ring that the HID wiring should run through. you will have to drill out a hole for this rubber ring to fit into in your headlight backing plate. this rubber ring will protect the wiring and bulb from water etc. in terms of the drl you will have to disable it, but simply unplugging the module in your engine bay will suffice. you will probably have to remove your intake box but nothing more. trust me this is a great mod for H1 wrx owners i have the 6000k kit and it is the best. hopefully this helps.

if you need any help with this you can give me a ring and you can take a look at my car and how i did it for reference. overall it was a pretty easy install. let me know.
ryan
ryan4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 04:38 PM   #3
renoguy20
EJ18

Car: 2005, Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Where exactly is the drl harness. I have read that the one behind the glove box needs to be removed.
renoguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 09:44 PM   #4
ryan4601
EJ22

Car: 2004 wrx

i did not have to remove the one in the glove box and my HID's work fine. the drl module in the engine bay is underneith and behind(toward the cabin) the intake pipe after the box with the filter in it. you can search nasioc and there are some pics. it is a small silver box with a wire plug in the bottom of it. just pull the plug and the drl is off. hope this is usefull
ryan
ryan4601 is offline   Reply With Quote