Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Vendor Correspondence

Vendor Correspondence Press releases, announcements, sales and official correspondence from vendors in the local community.

Old 2006-08-22, 07:39 PM   #1
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Car: 2002 WRX
Exclamation Local Company Offering Possible New Product!

Introducing: Carson Valley Custom Auto Electrical. As a local company we wish to check the interest level on a new product we are thinking about offering:

A Warranty-Safe Push Button Start for your Subaru Vehicles. This Push Button start unit will not require any slicing of the stock wiring harness and will be able to be removed without a trace. Many options will be available in terms of button choice, button placement and configuration. Numerous configuratoins will be available which includes an option for complete keyless start.

We ask for your feedback on this product. Please post any questions you have

Thank You,

Cameron Woods

Last edited by WRCsubeRS; 2006-08-22 at 07:59 PM.
WRCsubeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 09:26 PM   #2
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I've been volunteered. I should be able to have this done next month sometime.

Now where can I find a button that says, "eject?"
Old 2006-08-22, 09:42 PM   #3
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Then I guess you'll get a 'Volunteer Deal'.

You'll Love it...I Promise!

btw - Fresh out of the "Eject" buttons, but i have a whole box of "Self Destruct" buttons
Old 2006-08-22, 10:00 PM   #4
M3n2c3
EJ205

That's even better

Jeremy was making button pushing motions and startup noises at me most of the evening. How can I resist?

Last edited by M3n2c3; 2006-08-22 at 10:03 PM.
M3n2c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 10:08 PM   #5
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

The One I put in my car turned out great...So stealthy
Old 2006-08-22, 10:42 PM   #6
M3n2c3
EJ205

I'm stoked, because now I won't lock my keys in the car at meets anymore.
Old 2006-08-23, 06:52 AM   #7
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3

Now where can I find a button that says, "eject?"
On my dash... it turns on the rear window defogger tho...

Now, how much would we be looking to spend for this modification?
Old 2006-08-23, 08:55 AM   #8
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV
Now, how much would we be looking to spend for this modification?
Yeah sounds neat.
Old 2006-08-23, 09:03 AM   #9
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Thanks for the Response!

We are looking at a baseline price of $59, the price of course depends on the configuration you choose. The cheapest package will include everything to make the car push button start only. Upgraded packages would include such options as different buttons (eg. The 'Start Engine' button found in the S2000) and different configurations (eg. Complete keyless start).
Old 2006-08-23, 09:12 AM   #10
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Wow that is way less than I was expecting. Now I don't want to be totally noobish, but this will be in addition to the normal key ignition?

Oh yeah, would you happen to have any pictures of your work?

Last edited by JonnydaJibba; 2006-08-23 at 09:14 AM.
JonnydaJibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 10:38 AM   #11
Jesubi11
EJ22

Car: 04 wrx wagon

Get busy livin' or get busy dyn'

The system can be configured in a number of different ways:

My personal setup is set so you turn the key to the 'On' position, then press the button to start. If you turn the key to the start position the car will not start.

The system can also be setup for complete keyless start, however the key is still required to bypass the ignition interlock.

Aditionally the system can be configured for both key and push button start, however this takes away from the entire point of push button start.

I will see if I can get some pictures posted today of the system in my car

Thanks Again
Old 2006-08-23, 11:57 AM   #12
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Here are some pics of the system I have installed in my WRX:

The switch to the right engages/disengages the start button, located to the left of the steering wheel.

The Small button here is the Start button, located in center console:

The switch is wired so it can disable the start button so the starter is not engaged while the engine is running.
Old 2006-08-23, 11:58 AM   #13
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesubi11
The system can also be setup for complete keyless start, however the key is still required to bypass the ignition interlock.
It's keyless but you need the key?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 12:02 PM   #14
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Yes the system can be configured keyless. You can literaly get into the car and start it, even if the keys are inside the house on the kitchen table. You can also drive the car without the key in the ignition, at least until the steering wheel locks. The requirement of the key is simply to disengage the steering lock, it acts as both a safety and security feature.
Old 2006-08-23, 12:23 PM   #15
MikeK
Captain Turbo

OK I understand, I thought you were talking about the RFID in STi keys.

Speaking of which, how do you get around the RFID in STi keys?
Old 2006-08-23, 12:28 PM   #16
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK

Speaking of which, how do you get around the RFID in STi keys?
Most remote start units will need a key with the correct chip, or sometimes just a programmed chip, that they attach near the receiver in the ignition switch, so it's always there. I would assume it's likely the same with this...
Old 2006-08-23, 12:35 PM   #17
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

While I am not entirely familiar with the STI's specific RFID system, I would imagine the system would be able to be bypassed somehow. Either by what MPREZIV suggests, simply putting the RFID chip in the car so it is always there, or by some other means. I will look further into this to see what can be done.
Old 2006-08-23, 12:52 PM   #18
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCsubeRS
simply putting the RFID chip in the car so it is always there, or by some other means.
Hmm ... that system is there for a good reason (anti theft) ... I guess remote start is not for me!
Old 2006-08-23, 01:38 PM   #19
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

This system is not a Remote Start system, simply a Push Button start. The system is more or less for the "Coolness/Wow Factor". It is not meant to be a security system (although some features could be looked at like security system).
Old 2006-08-23, 02:09 PM   #20
M3n2c3
EJ205

Here's how I'm looking at it: it's a winter evening at Bully's, and I want to warm my car up while chatting with the guys. With the keyless start, I can open the door and flip the switches to start the car without worrying about locking my keys in (done it once already).

It'll be nice at work, because I'll be able to warm up my car while I help take the trash around the corner without worrying about someone driving off with it. At home as well, because my house key and car key are on the same ring and I won't have to turn the car off if I realize that I left something in the house.

So that's why I'm getting one. Partially for fun (and I plan on installing a Kartboy short shifter while we have the center console out, so two birds/one stone) and partially to make warming my car up easier and more secure.
Old 2006-08-23, 02:37 PM   #21
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

That is a wonderful use for the system!

Last edited by WRCsubeRS; 2006-08-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 2006-08-23, 02:51 PM   #22
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

I locked my keys in the car like 2 weeks ago. Started car, popped trunk to rummage around for something, door closed and somehow during all this the doors locked. Maybe this can keep me from climbing through my trunk to open my car.

Quote:
With the keyless start, I can open the door and flip the switches to start the car without worrying about locking my keys in (done it once already).
This made me think, the point of the keyless start is to be able to do exactly that right? So I could keep my keys in my pocket and start the car? If that's the case, how then do I prevent other people from doing the same thing and stealing my car? Just keep my doors locked? Can't lock my windows from breaking...
Old 2006-08-23, 02:59 PM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Here's how I'm looking at it: it's a winter evening at Bully's, and I want to warm my car up while chatting with the guys. With the keyless start, I can open the door and flip the switches to start the car without worrying about locking my keys in (done it once already).

(not that I want to discourage anyone from getting this- I just wanted to poke Jeremiah with an e-stick! )
Old 2006-08-23, 03:05 PM   #24
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
I locked my keys in the car like 2 weeks ago. Started car, popped trunk to rummage around for something, door closed and somehow during all this the doors locked. Maybe this can keep me from climbing through my trunk to open my car.

This made me think, the point of the keyless start is to be able to do exactly that right? So I could keep my keys in my pocket and start the car? If that's the case, how then do I prevent other people from doing the same thing and stealing my car? Just keep my doors locked? Can't lock my windows from breaking...
I did that in my truck at the coin-op car wash... I opened the door and started the truck to run the A/C and the windshield wipers after I just finished rinsing it off. Then I forgot that the remote start system automatically locks the doors 3 seconds after the motor starts. So when the door closed, I was locked out, truck's running, and my damn cell phone is inside on the center console.

I had to borrow a cell phone from the guy next to me, and use 411 to get the number for the only friend of mine that's listed, have him call my roommate, and get my roommate to bring the spare keys over.

That reminds me, I still need to turn off the auto-lock feature on the remote start... I'm gonna do that tonight!

</hijack>

The "real" reason to get a push button start is for your race car. Many series require you to remove the steering lock mechanism, so if the car's off it can still be rolled and steered by emergency workers. So you install a pair of ignition kill switches that cut the battery (one inside the car, and one on the hood for emergency workers), and a starter button to operate the starter motor, and remove the key mechanism from the car entirely.

If you do a starter button, you should have a latching relay or something that prevents the starter button from working while the car's running and while the ignition is off, or at least use a switch w/ a guard instead of a button that's easy to bump. You really don't want the starter to kick over while the motor's running... mucho grinding noises!
Old 2006-08-23, 03:09 PM   #25
WRCsubeRS
EJ18

Ya I've done that a time or two. lol

Well someone could technically could drive off with your car, however as soon as they try to take a turn, the steering lock will engage.

I learned this the hard way in my old legacy I put this system in. Driving through my neighborhood and I go to turn down one of the streets. I get half way through the turn and the steering lock engages. By the time I figured out that the steering lock had engaged, I was half way in someone's front yard.

So yes they could easily steal the car, but they're not going to get very far.