Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-06-30, 09:07 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default BBQ / Car Show - Hawthorne Autox?

BBQ/SnS is on hold since the Hawthorne event is cancelled. Event may or may happen at a different location.

Okay, I'm playing around with the idea of having a "show n' shine" BBQ in late August, say Saturday, Aug 23.

I'd like to make it a big deal and see if maybe Reno SCCA would be down to sponsor it with us kinda like:

<radio promo>
Saturday! Saturday! Saturday! August 23rd, it's the 1st Annual Reno SCCA "Come With Your Numbers On" Show and Shine BBQ! See the best looking AutoX cars Reno has to offer! Peer review judging, top 3 finishers get a HAAAAT!!! Dogs and Burgers on the BBQ, only $12 per person, kids under 12 eat for FREEEEE! Brought to you be the Reno Region SCCA and the Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras!
</radio promo>

Basically, since we kinda took over Reno SCCA this year out of the blue with all the Subarus, it'd be cool to try and organize a meet for all of Reno SCCA, with a little car show type competition.

In order to get this together we'll need the following:
  • Either Reno SCCA support or we'll have to go register SECCS as some sort of business so we can sell tickets to the event and cash checks made out to "SECCS.ORG"
  • A location for a BBQ/car show. I'd like a big park so we can BBQ and set up a volleyball net or something, or better yet softball! But it also needs a decent parking lot for the show n' shine or they'd have to let us park say 20 cars on the grass...
  • We need to figure out how much a BBQ catering service would cost, or perhaps we could rent a trailers BBQ and do the cooking ourselves (I've never cooked for a bunch of people, and I'd rather party instead of cook, but this might be far more affordable
  • I'd be cool to sell some "Reno SCCA BBQ" and "SECCS" t-shirts at the event
  • We should figure out if there'd be some interest from the rest of Reno SCCA for the event. Considering how many people were at the bar on Saturday, I'd guess we should be able to get a pretty large group together. I'm not sure but I figure we need about 100 people to make the BBQ catering cost effective.

So, is anyone interested in pulling this off? Debbie, do you think Reno SCCA members would be interested in sort of a "company picnic" day? I guess I should go to a SCCA meeting and bring this up? Is the show n' shine too much, perhaps just a BBQ is enough rather than trying to get 20 entrants who'd trailer their cars to a BBQ in order to win some cheesy prize.

What does eveyone think, would this be a cool day, or should we just go over to Matts house and drink and watch Initial D instead?
Old 2003-06-30, 09:18 AM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Hell yea. I think that is a awsome idea. Just let me know what you want me to do. As for places to go, there is a large park at Idlewild with Volleyball, bar-b-q pits and more. Just a idea.

Great idea though.
Old 2003-06-30, 09:27 AM   #3
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Also:

Scott, send me the copy of the SECCS logo you want to use, so I can get numbers for Business-type cards or flyers along with prices on T-shirt printing etc....
Old 2003-06-30, 09:39 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Also:

Scott, send me the copy of the SECCS logo you want to use, so I can get numbers for Business-type cards or flyers along with prices on T-shirt printing etc....
I'm working on that right now actually!
Old 2003-06-30, 04:19 PM   #5
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

This sounds like a good Idea. I think there are a lot people in Reno that would love to show off their cars, I mean not even including SCCA and Us. I bet people would be interested we would need to get a BUZZ going. I bet we could get a lot of those people that actaully have nice cars at the "street races" to go, I mean I'm sure they are aching to win a something for how cool their car is. Maybe it's the next "Cool August Weekend".

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-30, 04:35 PM   #6
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Scott - you have a great idea -- and I'd love to help work through more ideas along these lines.

One thing for you all to know, traditionally reno scca has a barbecue following the Boreal event. The charge has been in the $5-$10 range for the barbecue. Now, we know (unless Boreal gets paved) renoscca won't be at Boreal this year on Aug. 30-31, and some people are looking for an alternate site. Possible places that are being looked at are the Fernley track, the airport at Lovelock, and the Furlong Ammunition base. I've heard that wherever it's held, the plans still call for holding the barbecue -- so, I'm wondering if this would be the venue to hold suggested show-n-shine as well? "They" could do the barbecuing and 'we' could hold the show-n-shine competition. You'd have a built-in audience.

Also, this would be a great way to add a category of Subaru participation for the SCCA WRX Incentive Program challenge (previous thread - http://www.seccs.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=232) - either in "Competition Events" or "Other Involvement". In the July monthly meeting (Wed., 6:30p Austin's restaurant) we are supposed to have this topic as an agenda item.

More ideas?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-30, 08:57 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Scott - you have a great idea -- and I'd love to help work through more ideas along these lines.

One thing for you all to know, traditionally reno scca has a barbecue following the Boreal event. The charge has been in the $5-$10 range for the barbecue. Now, we know (unless Boreal gets paved) renoscca won't be at Boreal this year on Aug. 30-31, and some people are looking for an alternate site. Possible places that are being looked at are the Fernley track, the airport at Lovelock, and the Furlong Ammunition base. I've heard that wherever it's held, the plans still call for holding the barbecue -- so, I'm wondering if this would be the venue to hold suggested show-n-shine as well? "They" could do the barbecuing and 'we' could hold the show-n-shine competition. You'd have a built-in audience.

Also, this would be a great way to add a category of Subaru participation for the SCCA WRX Incentive Program challenge (previous thread - http://www.seccs.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=232) - either in "Competition Events" or "Other Involvement". In the July monthly meeting (Wed., 6:30p Austin's restaurant) we are supposed to have this topic as an agenda item.

More ideas?
Well, if there's a BBQ in the works, I'd be happy to help out if I can. I will be out of town all week starting tomorrow on vacation, so I won't make the July meeting. If you are planning on going to the meeting, feel free to bring up the show-n-shine addition to the BBQ, I'll be happy to help organize, however I understand it'll be hard to get things rolling if I miss the meeting. I should have thought of this a month ago!
Old 2003-06-30, 08:58 PM   #8
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Me too! I think its a great idea, I would definately like to help put something together..
Old 2003-06-30, 09:52 PM   #9
nohandsonthewheel
EJ18

definitely an awesome idea. If you need some sites to advertise on ... use us!!!! We post events for the eastern sierra area PLUS we have the following sites to use however we want:
www.mammothweb.com
www.thesierraweb.com
www.visitjunelake.com
www.visitbishop.com

"I've heard size doesn't matter"
"She lied"
-Wing Commander

Official Member of the NRA (Non Responsible Adult) and CSI (Can't Stand Idiots)
nohandsonthewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-07-03, 12:02 PM   #10
dknv
EJ207

Update from last night's scca meeting: the Aug 30/31 event is likely to move to Lovelock - that is around 90 miles east of Reno. We may have an informal barbecue the Friday night before the events, and do a banquet or group dinner Saturday night in Lovelock. I'll try to find out if the hosted barbecue stays or goes. If it goes, and if we as a club have interest, we could offer to do it Friday night combined with a Show&Shine. Or we could look at a different date/location/venue.
Old 2003-07-06, 09:27 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Update from last night's scca meeting: the Aug 30/31 event is likely to move to Lovelock - that is around 90 miles east of Reno. We may have an informal barbecue the Friday night before the events, and do a banquet or group dinner Saturday night in Lovelock. I'll try to find out if the hosted barbecue stays or goes. If it goes, and if we as a club have interest, we could offer to do it Friday night combined with a Show&Shine. Or we could look at a different date/location/venue.
Awesome, let's plan to have our own little meeting about a show-n-shine at the next Thursday meet.
Old 2003-07-09, 04:28 PM   #12
dknv
EJ207

I'll be in vegas on Thursday, but would love to hear what you guys brainstorm at the meet. If Dean's there, maybe talk to him about the Sept. Hawthorne event too, maybe there's something that can be worked in with that event.
Old 2003-07-23, 08:34 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Okay, more ideas:

Hold the Show-n-Shine it at the Hawthorne autocross, Sept 20/21.

Perhaps Friday night (9/19)... but if it's during course setup, that's dis-includes the people working on the course from participating. Plus, not everyone that will be racing will be down there on Friday (I know Matt and Tyson were thinking about driving down early Saturday to avoid the cost of a hotel for two nights).

If we do it Saturday night, we'll have a big captive audience, and I'm sure lots will be interested in BBQing at the track after the event (that's what they did at Atwater). I guess the only issue is when does the airport close and lock us in.... i.e. can we BBQ utill 9pm and still get to our hotels?

As far as the "rules" for the show-n-shine, here's what I was thinking:

- approx 20 entries
- entered car must be raced in some way (we're looking for the best looking race car, not show cars, you know "come with your numbers on!") <- if we think we can get significant non-SCCA entrants, then we may want to drop this rule, but for now I'm assuming this will be all SCCA cars.
- peer judging: spectators will fill out ballots picking their 3 favorite cars, car with the most votes wins.
- prizes: we need hats for say the top 4 or 5 "finalists" and t-shirts for all the participants
- entry fee: $15?, hopefully enough to cover the cost of t-shirts, hats and possibly a small cash prize for 1st place? <- if we can figure out a way to make this totally free, and still give out some schwag, that would be awesome.... can/would SCCA be willing to fund this?

Speaking of funding, how are we going to fund the cost of the BBQ? BYOM/B (bring your own meet/beer)? Charge people? If we're charging people, do we BBQ ourselves, or hire a catering service? What about having to haul all the supplies down to Hawthorne, or is there a Costco or something there we can tap for BBQ resources? I've never done the whole BBQ thing for a big group before. Who ran the Boreal BBQ in past years for SCCA?

We'll also need to find a printer for T-Shirts and Hats... so if you have a contact, post 'em here, or PM me.
Old 2003-07-23, 09:28 AM   #14
dknv
EJ207

I kinda like that tag line 'come with your numbers on'.

At Boreal, Sid & Schelley Nelson hosted the barbecue, and we paid a nominal fee, but they still subsidized a good part of it as a business expense (Sid's Alignment & Brake).

Assuming we get the event chairs' ok's to do this -- we could check around with some places in Hawthorne to find out cost to cater it; or, we get organizing with people to bring in what we need. No Costco in Hawthorne, I think the only grocery store is the safeway across the street from the airport.
SCCA may be able to help subsidize cost for tshirts & stuff, but again, we'll need the event chairs to let us know if there's room in the budget. Or, maybe this is an area we can ask the Subaru dealership to help with.

Dean had a good printer for the shirts/hats he had done for the VC hillclimb.
Old 2003-07-23, 06:26 PM   #15
MattR
El Matador

great ideas Scott! If there is a reason to get out there Friday night, I can go, no problem, But Saturday night is even better...as long as the El capitan doesn't cater it we'll be fine :?
Old 2003-08-06, 10:59 AM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Here's my current outline for the BBQ presentation I'll be giving this afternoon at the SCCA meeting... gimme feedback!

Code:
Reno SCCA / SECCS "Come With Yer Numbers On" Show-n-Shine BBQ
-------------------------------------------------------------

When / Where:
-------------
? In conjunction with the Aug 30/31 Lovelock AutoCross

? In conjunction with the Sept 20/21 Hawthorne AutoCross
  - Saturday evening after racing
  - Find a park or other shaded area, or perhaps at the hotel

? In conjunction with the Oct 11/12 Stead AutoCross

? Seperate Event, early October

What:
-----
  "Come with yer numbers on" car show / competition:

- Hopefully 15 to 20 entrants
    - Entrant must be a "race car" (i.e. AutoCross, track, Kart) in race trim
    - Peer-Review voting
      - ballots will list all cars by number/class markings
      - voters pick their 3 favorites, criteria is simply "personal perference"
      - all BBQ attendants, including entrants, may vote
      - one ballot per voter
      - each vote is worth one point, highest number of points wins
    ? Winner recieves "Best in Show" trophy
    ? Top 5 recieve "Finalist" hats
    ? All entrants get "Participant" T-Shirts

BBQ:

- Food to feed ????? people
      - BBQ Kabobs (Beef, Chicken, Veggie)
      - Potato, Macaroni, and Green Salads
      - Chips & Salsa
      - Drinks (Sodas and Bottled Water)
      - potluck deserts
    - Food prepared by SECCS members
    - Other BBQ supplies
      - large size BBQ (trailer?)
      - plates, flatware, cups
      - tables/chairs
      - shade (hopefully the venue provides that)
    ? Music
      ? boom box, or would someone's car stereo be good enough?

Unknowns:
---------
  - Location / Date
    - a park with picnic tables / chairs and shade would be nice
  - Renting BBQ Equipment, from where? how much?
  - number of people to feed
  - cost of prizes (subsidized by entrant fees?)
  - cost of BBQ (subsidized by Autocross event fees or by BBQ fee?)

What's the point:
-----------------
  - SECCS wants to give back to SCCA for providing such a great AutoCross series!
  - It should be fun!
  - Prizes!
  - Helps the WRX Incentive program
  - Provides dinner if event is held at Lovelock or Hawthorne
Old 2003-08-06, 11:23 AM   #17
MattR
El Matador

Looks like a good plan Scott, and well put together, hopefully you can get some input from some scca members as far as which venue will be prefered.