Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-06-11, 10:30 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default We're being featured in the SCCA / Subaru newsletter!

This morning I was interviewed on the phone by SCCA for an article that will be included in the SCCA / Subaru online newsletter that goes out primarily to new Subaru owners!

I was asked a bit about the history of the club, as well as specifics on what the club provides to its members. If you've got anything to say about SECCS, and our relationship with Reno SCCA, feel free to post here, and I'll link the article's author to this thread! Specifically it would be cool to hear what SECCS means to you, and why you come out to meets and vollenteer your time to the club.

Also, thinking about the club's history, I dug this up... this is what started it all:

Quote:
Sent: Fri 8/9/2002 12:17AM
To: <Matt's email>
Cc: <a whole bunch of random Reno people's emails>
Subject: Subaru meet...

Anyone up for a meet? I was thinking pretty soon, like maybe Sun night? Any ideas for times or locations, just fire away. I lost most of the list of names I made, so I really have no idea who I am e-mailing. Let's try and make this a decent sized meet.

JC
And with that email, the 1st meet took place at Starbucks with Matt, Ryan, JC and Khail IIRC. I couldn't make the 1st one, but I made the second with Matt, JC, and Ryan. Shortly thereafter JC headed back to school, I-Club split into I-Club and NASIOC and I tossed up the forum on doink.net which became SECCS a few months later!
Old 2004-06-11, 11:49 AM   #2
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

COOL, Scott!!!

In the 2002 Reno SCCA season, Todd Mauldin, Edy Eddins and I were the only regular WRX competitors, and I couldn't understand why more N. Nevada wrx owners were not getting their free scca memberships and coming out to check out autocross. I knew that most would love it if they tried it.

I had also been taking my wrx wagon to track events, and connected with some Bay Area I-Club/NASIOC members during a NASA event at Sears Point in Nov. 02. I was totally impressed by the fact that BAIC had so many members, and they had a wealth of knowledge about car setup to share. After the i-club split to nasioc, I still followed the nasioc forums, and saw some Reno users posting on the Bay Area forum about Reno meets. It was Too Cool to find a community of Subaru owners in Reno/Carson/Tahoe who were into car setup, sharing information AND meeting socially.

There were even some questions from the Reno group about local autocross, and then I realized there was an appetite to try the sport, they just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Since then, Subarus have made a definate impact in the Reno SCCA circuit. In 2003, Subaru participants averaged 12+% of the total number of participants at each Reno Region SoloII event. Several members have enhanced their driving skills as a result of this participation, several members serve Reno SCCA in specialty chief assignments, and the SECCS group continues to promote and market SCCA as a venue for performance driving activities.

Beyond that - this is a great group of people who I consider my friends and extended family. If someone in the group needs help with something, there are multiple others who are ready to jump in and lend a hand. If someone is looking for technical information, they post their question on our forum boards, and knowledge-sharing is published for all to learn and grow. For me, there is a certain sense of pride in belonging to a group that has demonstrated growth, good values, and a team spirit that can't be beat. And all of this started from the foundation of our interest in Subarus, which will always remain one of the best cars I've ever owned.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 03:50 PM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Well said Debbie. That goes a long way towards explaining why I drive so far to be a part of this group.
Old 2004-06-11, 04:15 PM   #4
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Wow! that old email is cool to see...I remember it very clearly..

Those first few meets were awfully small, and we really didn't know what we were supposed to do, all I know is, it was cool to see all the different directions people had gone with their new wrx's and a couple of GC's, and I always enjoyed meeting new friends with similar interests.

As many of you know, I got into Subarus after a long time in the Jeep and 4 Wheeler community. (You'd be surprised how similar the jeep and suby communities are). I was a member of a Jeep club before, but it never reached the level of community we have here at SECCS.

It's been fun watching the group grow and change. I love our involvement and membership (NORPAC was so cool), I really like how hardcore everyone is into motorsports..because I'm a race-freek, and our ties to Reno SCCA are very cool to see. I'd like to think our club is centered around our motorsports.

Now, we have our website, members all over the west, a bank account, track days, awards, and great friends to go with it all...how cool.
Old 2004-06-11, 07:15 PM   #5
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

I am a fairly new member to this great group of people.I have learned so much about my car (04 Sti)and After 3 autox I am fully addicted. Most of all I have found some really great friends they are always there when I need advice or help. I have become a better driver and autoxer because these great group of people
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 04:52 PM   #6
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksubi
I am a fairly new member to this great group of people.I have learned so much about my car (04 Sti)and After 3 autox I am fully addicted. Most of all I have found some really great friends they are always there when I need advice or help. I have become a better driver and autoxer because these great group of people
Addicted to SECCS? Ha ha! I made teh funnay! Seriously though, this is a great group and I can't believe how much it's grown in such a short time. I really need to come to a meet and see everyone I haven't had the pleasure of meeting in person. Which is like, everyone. And maybe someone can answer me a question, can you auto-x just on Sundays? I work Saturdays, but I am really getting the itch to do this.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 06:38 PM   #7
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

So many people and so few GCs. When I move soon there will be no one. :? Still a fun group though.
Old 2004-06-12, 07:06 PM   #8
dknv
EJ207

Khail - yes you can just come out on Sunday. Why not make it tomorrow?

JC - where r u moving? When?
Old 2004-06-12, 08:09 PM   #9
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

I might just come out tomorrow, do I need anything besides me and my car? I think I need to borrow a helmet from someone, but do I need anything else? And what time to come and how many $$$ to bring? I'm getting excited already!
Old 2004-06-12, 08:41 PM   #10
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

You can run either morning, afternoon, or both...

To run in the morning, you should be there by 8:00 to get teched and registered. This will be out of class, so just say you are running for no points. This will avoid any classing or run group issues.

Afternoon, you should be there by 11:00 to be safe.

Those of us running for points are mostly running last, and working right after lunch, but we can help you out in the morning, or ride with you if you want some instruction. You can ride with us when we run as well.

See you there.
Old 2004-06-12, 08:46 PM   #11
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Thanks Dean, is there anything for the car I should bring? And what kind of pressures are good for 225/45/17 Azenis ST-115 tires?
Old 2004-06-12, 09:05 PM   #12
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

If you want to pump up tp 45PSI or so not to far away, you can just come down as needed. We have 12 volt pumps, and air tanks between us if you want to do it there.

A good tire gauge if you have it. If not, no big deal.

Leave as much of the crap like floor mats, and stuff in the side pockets etc. home. Same with the trunk. You will probably take the spare out before you run, but you can leave the trunk carpet/spare cover at home.

$50 should take care of your day including the event and some food, but excuding gas money.

Idealy, you would run with about a 1/4 tank of gas, but anything above that is OK, just don't fill up right before if you can avoid it.

A folding chair would be good. We have pop ups for shade.

Just come out and enjoy...
Old 2004-06-13, 09:13 PM   #13
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
JC - where r u moving? When?
Probably Vegas and probably in a few months.
Old 2004-06-14, 07:43 PM   #14
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Here are some old pictures from the first few meets I went to, since ya got the first email up:

[img:8029ff7ab0=640]http://www.level4racing.com/Art/pic1.JPG[/img:8029ff7ab0]

[img:8029ff7ab0=640]http://www.level4racing.com/Art/pic2.JPG[/img:8029ff7ab0]

[img:8029ff7ab0=640]http://www.level4racing.com/Art/pic3.jpe[/img:8029ff7ab0]

[img:8029ff7ab0=640]http://www.level4racing.com/Art/pic4.JPG[/img:8029ff7ab0]
Old 2004-06-14, 08:58 PM   #15
JC
Ask me about dubs!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=229105

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=163341
Old 2004-06-14, 09:35 PM   #16
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

OH my beautiful stock black sedan, oh what happened to you!

so, so, long ago. :shock:

edit: my first meet is the last picture.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 10:00 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229105

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=163341
Nice! I can't believe this is my car:
Attached Images

Old 2004-06-15, 07:41 AM   #18
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
edit: my first meet is the last picture.
Ditto!
boo hoo, my wagon was so much fun.
Our cars looked so much 'younger' then.

JC - sounds like you were the trailblazer, you've been doing this since 2002 (or before) :shock:
Old 2004-06-15, 08:19 AM   #19
JC
Ask me about dubs!

I join I-Club (the first one) back in December of 1999. I lurked for a bit before then though. That was back when I had my first suby.
Attached Images