Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2013-02-04, 03:09 PM   #1
Brandong
EJ22

Car: 2007 Sleeper......thats not really a sleeper.......
Default wrx/sti block

Hello gents. I'm looking for a used but in good condtion block plain and simple that is the same exact model as the one in the 07 sti. Please let me know any information anyone has as to where to find a used one or if anyone has one for sale. Thanks mucho nachos!
Old 2013-02-04, 03:10 PM   #2
Brandong
EJ22

Also id be willing to trade for one for some or all of the parts I have for sale on my other post.
Old 2013-02-04, 04:50 PM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Brandon, I've got nearly all the components necessary for a strong STi block gathered here at the shop. All I'm waiting on is time and cash flow to order pistons. If you're just looking to reduce downtime on your pending engine rebuild, I can definitely help with that. Give us a call at the shop when you've got a few minutes and I'll go over that with you. Also, the engine rebuild quote you asked us about a while ago is done, I'm not sure if you got my voicemail about that yet.

Oh, and I can probably take some of your used parts in trade at this point.
Old 2013-02-06, 09:28 PM   #4
Brandong
EJ22

I really need a block here guys. I have looked in many places. Any helpful suggestions would be mucho appreciated.
Old 2013-02-06, 10:31 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I've got an ej257 that's disassembled in a box. With forged JE pistons. But it's got a spun rod bearing, and probably needs a hone and rings. Plus, it's been sitting for a few years. So, it's probably not what you're looking for, but perhaps any starting point for a build is better than nothing.
Old 2013-02-07, 09:26 AM   #6
kakarot09
n00b

Car: 05 sti

Sperry what size was the bore on that block? Needs to be 99.5. If it was already bored over then it won't work. You said its been sitting, are the cylinder walls rusted?
He already has pistons rods crank etc. the block he had was not machined the way I asked and now would need to be bored over again to work the way I want.

Last edited by kakarot09; 2013-02-07 at 09:35 AM.
kakarot09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 09:54 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

The block was already bored over once, so I think it's already at 100mm. But it had very low miles when I spun the rod (literally about 100 miles... it spun on the dyno during break-in because I re-used an oil cooler that apparently still had debris in it from the previous motor's spun bearing).

After that motor died, I basically sat on it for a few months before deciding just to buy a new shortblock from Subaru instead of going back to the machine shop. There was a question as to whether or not the crank would be salvageable, so I figured if I was going to have to buy a new crank and pay for assembly, I might as well just get a new shortblock (STi blocks were only like $1300 back then).

Anyway, since I didn't use the motor, it got packed up in a giant tupperware container with some oily rags, so it shouldn't be rusted at all. But I haven't actually looked at it in years, so no guarantees. The only concern is that the coating on the piston skirts appeared worn, so there may be the possibility of some cylinder wall gouging. I would guess it would be fine with a light honing and new piston rings, but you'd need a machine shop to check it out and tell you if it needs boring. If it needs boring, like you said, it's probably useless because going to 100.5 is too much... you'd have to sleeve the block.

Anyway, it sounds like you've got a particular plan for boring over 99.5, so my block probably won't work you guys, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Let me know if you want to check it out anyway.
Old 2013-02-07, 10:29 AM   #8
kakarot09
n00b

Car: 05 sti

Thanks for all the details. He already has 99.75 pistons that I've opened and measured etc. so I could resell them and do 100mm but I would rather have the extra smidge of material on the block both for strength and for rebuild opportunities if the need ever arises so I basically need an unbored block.
kakarot09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 11:04 AM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Scott, I'd love to get that block from you. Give me a call at the shop when you get a chance.
Old 2013-02-12, 03:46 PM   #10
Brandong
EJ22

I have a block and it is being machined as we speak! Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Old 2013-02-28, 04:50 PM   #11
Brandong
EJ22

You could delete this post admin if you want I don't need it up anymore. I still have no idea how to delete it myself haha........any directions for me there would be helpful thanks!