Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2004-03-17, 01:34 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Bad news... no Buttonwillow for me.

Just talked with my boss...

Apparantly the amount fo fecal matter splattering off the fan around work wasn't enough, so someone threw an elephant sized dook on there...

So I'm not making Buttonwillow. Nor am I making ESX... I'm working all through the weekend.

Matt... you'll probably want to reschedule with your buddy down in LA or something... or head down with the rest of the SECCS crew on Sunday.

Does anyone know if Alex will give refunds?

ugh....

edit: I might be taking some time off sometime around the week of April 5th or the week of April 12th to get down to LA for tuning. Anyone wanna come? We'll rent a truck or something and haul the car down there.
Old 2004-03-17, 01:48 PM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

I am down for a trip to L.A. in April...(As long as its on a weekend).
Old 2004-03-17, 01:50 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
I am down for a trip to L.A. in April...(As long as its on a weekend).
Nope, doubt it'll be on a weekend. ESX is usually racing on the weekends... the only reason I was able to get a weekend dat for this weekend was because everyone's going to Buttonwillow on Monday.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:05 PM   #4
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Doh!

So your not going to Buttonwillow anymore? That sucks man.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:10 PM   #5
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. If you end up going down there in April, stop by SLO; we're pretty close to finalizing on an apartment down in Grover Beach, and we'll be moving in over the 3rd-4th.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:12 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Doh!

So your not going to Buttonwillow anymore? That sucks man.
Yeah, I'm real bummed out.... not gonna get the car tuned this weekend, not gonna hit the go-karts in LA, not gonna make it to Buttonwillow, not gonna party at Motel 6...

Plus, I might be out the $165 for the track day, and I'll be screwing Matt over for half the cost of the hotel rooms... actually, I can probably get IGT to comp me for half the hotel room since it's not that much, so Matt, if you can't find a roommate I'll still pay you for my half. They might be able to help me out with the track day cost too if Alex can't give me a refund... but we'll see.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:17 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

On a better note, IGT stock was up a bunch today, so I sold some stock. I'll be able to either pay off my car, or pay off my credits cards and buy a truck, if I can find a decent one for around $2000.

So if you see a quad-cab, short-bed, V8, 2WD (don't wanna spend the $$$ for 4WD) early 90's truck, lemme know.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:46 PM   #8
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Bummer Scott...I had a bad feeling about your trip when you said all this shit was going to happen. If you can't get a refund, maybe Tyson or Mike can run under your name.

I am gonna cancel my LA plans also. Mike, Tyson ( ), I'll be cruising down with you guys sunday, have you decided on a depart time yet? lets leave around 1-2 PM.

laters
Old 2004-03-17, 02:48 PM   #9
BADBORA
EJ22

That sucks.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:50 PM   #10
STIwish
EJ251

Ill look around for ya... that that is teh suck.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:50 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

*moved*

...I guess this is motorsport's chat, since that's where the main Buttonwillow thread is
Old 2004-03-17, 02:52 PM   #12
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Suckzors man
Old 2004-03-17, 02:54 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Man, that is the weakest of all weaksauces. At least I can pretty much promise you that Alex will refund your track day fees. And I can almost help out the truck search, but not quite. My aunt and uncle have a 1984 Chevy 2WD w/350, but it's standard cab. On the plus side, they'll let it go for $1500. It has brand new AC and cooling system components, among other things. And, my grandparents have a 1992 GMC 3/4 ton for sale, 2WD, extended cab, but it's a 454 with a Banks Power Pack. Makes about 350 hp and 550 ft./lbs., but the best I could talk them down to for you, my close personal friend, is $6500 or so. They're looking for $7500 and in no hurry to sell.
Old 2004-03-17, 03:00 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Man, that is the weakest of all weaksauces. At least I can pretty much promise you that Alex will refund your track day fees. And I can almost help out the truck search, but not quite. My aunt and uncle have a 1984 Chevy 2WD w/350, but it's standard cab. On the plus side, they'll let it go for $1500. It has brand new AC and cooling system components, among other things. And, my grandparents have a 1992 GMC 3/4 ton for sale, 2WD, extended cab, but it's a 454 with a Banks Power Pack. Makes about 350 hp and 550 ft./lbs., but the best I could talk them down to for you, my close personal friend, is $6500 or so. They're looking for $7500 and in no hurry to sell.
Interesting. My goal is a truck for towing... so I don't figure to need 4WD or a long bed or anything. Plus it won't get used around town too much, mostly just for track days when driving the WRX long distance is uncomfortable, or impossible (like to Topeka and back if I can make Nationals). So as long as it's good for a few long hauls a year, I won't be putting too much beating on it.

I wanted a quad-cab just because they're so much nicer for 3+ people... I figure this will be a road-trip machine, and I'd like to be able to haul you butt-heads around with me w/o having to listen to ya'll complain from the drop seats.

I'm in no real rush... I just figure I need something before Nationals, and that's only if I can go at all. Hopefully by then I'll have my car paid off and my credit card balances well reduced (or vise versa) so I might be able to finance the truck, which puts me in the $7 to $10k range for a truck + trailer.
Old 2004-03-17, 03:47 PM   #15
JoelK
EJ22

I've been thinking about going to LA around the end of April (22-25 or so). I know that's later than you're thinking, but after watching the ongoing delays, perhaps it would match up. :-/
JoelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 03:48 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelK
I've been thinking about going to LA around the end of April (22-25 or so). I know that's later than you're thinking, but after watching the ongoing delays, perhaps it would match up. :-/
I gotta get down there before the 17th, since that's the 1st event of the season.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:24 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Interesting. My goal is a truck for towing... so I don't figure to need 4WD or a long bed or anything. Plus it won't get used around town too much, mostly just for track days when driving the WRX long distance is uncomfortable, or impossible (like to Topeka and back if I can make Nationals). So as long as it's good for a few long hauls a year, I won't be putting too much beating on it.

I wanted a quad-cab just because they're so much nicer for 3+ people... I figure this will be a road-trip machine, and I'd like to be able to haul you butt-heads around with me w/o having to listen to ya'll complain from the drop seats.
Actually the Sierra would work well for you then. The back seat isn't super great, but I used to take 300+ mile trips in it when I was a teenager (well, from when they bought it in '91 til I grajitated in '97) and I was over 6 feet tall for most of that time. 2 people can fit in there for maybe 2 hours at a time. Besides- the motor in that truck will embarrass the guys with a Hemi.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:26 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Actually the Sierra would work well for you then. The back seat isn't super great, but I used to take 300+ mile trips in it when I was a teenager (well, from when they bought it in '91 til I grajitated in '97) and I was over 6 feet tall for most of that time. 2 people can fit in there for maybe 2 hours at a time. Besides- the motor in that truck will embarrass the guys with a Hemi.
Tow package? Bedliner? Also, what model is it exactly? Is that a Sierra 1500? Base, SLE, or SLX style?
Old 2004-03-17, 04:29 PM   #19
Kevin M
EJ22T

Scott and friends, in the baby blue Jimmy, roll up to a light next to a brand spankin' new Dodge Ram. In spite of the 3" tall badge on the fender, passenger #1 (ya'll decide who he is ) yells out the window "What's the retail on one of those?"

"More than you can afford pal- HEMI!"

Scott, smirks, and passenger #2 says "Smoke 'em."

Man, after I typed that part about their Hemis, F&F just came roaring back to me.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:31 PM   #20
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Quote:
Tow package? Bedliner? Also, what model is it exactly? Is that a Sierra 1500? Base, SLE, or SLX style?
Yes, no, 3500 long bed ex. cab SLE(?) it's top of the line for a '92. Got some bed dings and I think one of the bed rails is dented, but it's typical truck stuff. Tires are almost new too. All the maintenance was done on time- that truck used to make a 3,000 mile trip every winter, part of it in Mexico. Reliability was important to my folks.

Oh and it has a fifth wheel type hitch to go with it.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:34 PM   #21
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Yes, no, 3500 long bed ex. cab SLE(?) it's top of the line for a '92. Got some bed dings and I think one of the bed rails is dented, but it's typical truck stuff. Tires are almost new too. All the maintenance was done on time- that truck used to make a 3,000 mile trip every winter, part of it in Mexico. Reliability was important to my folks.

Oh and it has a fifth wheel type hitch to go with it.
Wow, big truck! 5th wheel is good too, but it means I'd end up buying a more expensive trailer...
Old 2004-03-17, 04:35 PM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Nah, a new Class IV hitch is a lot less than the difference between a standard trailer and a 5th wheel. Just nice to have.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:35 PM   #23
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Wow, big truck! 5th wheel is good too, but it means I'd end up buying a more expensive trailer...
But its 10 times safer and rides way better going down the road, plus, your a big time trucker then! If I do say so myself!
Old 2004-03-17, 04:41 PM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Hey Kevin... keep me posted on that truck, it sounds like a pretty decent tow vehicle...

I'll do some checking to see how much I'll be able to afford on a tow vehicle, and if I'll actually have room to park something like that. I may have to keep it over at my roommate's Grandparent's house since the place I'm moving too won't have parking for a big truck and trailer unless Matt let's me install a gravel strip in his side yard.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:43 PM   #25
Kevin M
EJ22T

I'll talk to them about it tomorrow, but I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.