Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2005-09-09, 11:37 AM   #1
JoelK
EJ22

Default Performance street brake pad help

Hey all,

I'm up to 37,000 miles, so it's time to replace the brake pads. I figured I'd probably get upgraded pads if they didn't cost a whole lot more than stock pads. However, cold braking is important to me as I plan on using the same set of pads year round. I've found that in 10-20 degree temps, I have to drive with the brakes down for a few seconds to get the stock brakes to warm up. That's not too big of a deal, but I definitely don't want to have to do it any more.

I've thought about the EBC Greens, but I'm leaning toward going back to the stockers. I'm a spirited driver on mountain roads, but I've never done autocross or track days.

Thoughts?
Old 2005-09-09, 12:15 PM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

No pad works exceptionally stone cold because often there is condensation as either water, or ice glazed on the rotor surface. If your windshield has frost on it, so do your rotors!

Hawk HPS are a good steet option. (Tyson ran these for a while)

Better but slightly more prone to noise would be the

Hawk HP+, or Porterfield R4-S. I run these on almost all of my cars almost all the time. Both very good.

EBC Greens are also great, but are very aggresive. Maybe to much so for normal winter street driving, and harder on rotors.

I forgot about the Axis Ultimates. Also a great street-Autocross pad, but not suited for high temps at high speed tracks. Probably coparable to the Hawk HPS.

The Hawks are available locally via TireRack. Will call in Sparks, or have them shipped.

Porterfields are available from many sources, including a budy of mine from the 3S world. Check this thread for prices. http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthre...6956#post46956

Last edited by Dean; 2005-09-09 at 12:20 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote