Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2011-01-09, 11:49 AM   #1
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none
Default I need some help...

When I was leaving from my house in south reno, I noticed that my car was making some strange noises during normal driving and braking.

I had warmed up my car before I started driving all the way and then when I started going, and I pulled up to the first stop sign, I noticed that my car made a squeaking noise while braking. I thought that this was normal, as the brakes hadn't heated up yet.

When pulling up to another stop sign, I noticed that my car was making an intermittent noise but it was at even intervals that was kind of like a slipping noise and when braking, it was squealing even more.

I went home to look at the spot that I had parked in over the weekend to see if I leaked anything and I did not see anything there. I also looked looked at the road where I had been driving, and I found nothing but windshield wiper fluid.

This morning, I opened up my hood and looked at the fluid levels, I noticed that my coolant in the reserve tank was really low, almost empty, but my oil and brake fluid looked fine... Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss. I'm going to go drive the car for a bit to see if I can't replicate the sound.

Also, Does anyone nearby have any genuine Subaru coolant that I can buy off them?
Old 2011-01-09, 01:25 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

What have you done to the car so far? I can't really remember but I think you had mentioned doing cams?
Old 2011-01-09, 01:32 PM   #3
Jeikun
EJ22

Nothing, it's bone stock aside from the wheels.
Old 2011-01-09, 01:40 PM   #4
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

still under warranty?
Old 2011-01-09, 01:49 PM   #5
Jeikun
EJ22

Yeah. But I dont want to drive it for the time being because I dont want my brakes to fail or cause any more damage... I think I'm going to just put some water in my coolant and dilute it a little more until I can get to the dealership on wednesday.
Old 2011-01-11, 01:47 PM   #6
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Use distilled water instead of tap water. I'm sure there are other brands of coolant that work, but I always use the OEM stuff. Remember that there's a line on the overflow resevoir for hot and cold. IMO, it's best to use the higher hot line with a warm engine if you can, but you can use the cold line with a cold engine in a pinch.

As for the sound, could it be a slipping belt? Click on your AC to see if the sound gets worse/changes. Also try turning the steering wheel when stopped to detect a belt issue.

I just picked up my car after it was parked in Oakland for nearly two weeks. Talk about scary noises. First of all, the rotors were so rusted that I had to rev up the motor and nearly launch to back up the first time. The brakes made a loud "crack" and then I broke free. Then the brakes made a really bad dragging noise until I used them a little bit. Simply dragging the brakes for a few seconds fixed it right up and it's fine now.

Last edited by cody; 2011-01-11 at 01:53 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 05:10 PM   #7
Jeikun
EJ22

Thanks for the reply Cody! I did end up filling it with Distilled Water and I'll have them flush it or something tomorrow with the OEM stuff at Lithia.

The sound has gone away entirely and I haven't felt anything weird in the steering wheel or pedals since then so I'm hoping that it was just a one time thing.