Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-12-10, 11:24 AM   #1
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.
Default STI = 1 / Idiot Honda Accord=0

Some days you just love the STI more than others

I was heading up to Incline Village (Lake Tahoe) today. It had just snowed overnight and was still snowing a bit. Chains were required for 2WD vehicles over CA267(for locals). I breeze right through the check point to get into the chain control area. The STI paired with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D snow tires is doing great with the slush/powder/ice/packed snow. I am just down to the bottom of the pass and am passing the checkpoint for vehicles coming back the way I came. I do not have to stop. I am doing 35-38(the speed limit in chain control areas). Just as I get even the CALTRANS truck acting as the checkpoint...I see a white 06? Honda Accord swing right in front of my path, I am assuming to either turn around,put chains on, or turn on the side street that intersected 267. I hit the brakes just enough to engage ABS and then start turning to avoid the Accord...the car did it without a hitch, I cleared with room to spare!

I thought I was out of woods, but during that ordeal I forgot there were a few cars taking off chains on my side in the shoulder, so I let go of the brakes and turn the other way...again no problems!

I am willing to bet had I not had snows I would have been in a pinball game with 2-3 cars. I also think part of it was me paying attention and knowing to steer with the ABS. I was thinking of disabling ABS, but after this I won't

I will have a diagram up in a sec...
Here it is:

*cliffs*
I almost end up being a pinball on a snow/icy road, but thanks to ABS/snows/AWD/my brain, everybody is safe.

Last edited by DARKSTI; 2006-12-10 at 11:38 AM.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 11:58 AM   #2
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

close call. nice job avoiding.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 08:55 AM   #3
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

neato. I had a quite a few almost run-ins in the snow when I worked up at Sierra. Those were scary.