Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2003-09-11, 03:10 PM   #1
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon
Default Tranny Cooler - Oil Cooler

Okay.....after lots of research, I may be a retard.

Transmission cooler - "This unit is designed to do exactly what we want. Cool down the oil - A LOT!"

so does this mean that the transmission cooler does about the same thing as a oil cooler?

Oil Cooler -
Old 2003-09-11, 03:14 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Yeah, except the tranny cooler cools the transmission oil, not the engine oil. If you're thinking of using an oil cooler for the tranny, you'll be looking for additional hoses and fittings to get it to reach and attach to the tranny.

BTW: Tripod images don't link.
Old 2003-09-11, 03:27 PM   #3
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

If you're going to add an external oil -> air cooler like that, I would recommend using steel-braided hoses and AN screwed fittings... either in a more expensive kit or adapting them yourself. The cheaper kits will all have rubber hoses & hose clamps... shady. This is pretty vital fluid you're going to run through the lines, if they develop a hole and spill their guts all over the roadway you'll probably be looking at a new motor or tranny. Plus, especially if the car will ever see any track use, the leak risk is a safety hazard for other cars on track.
Old 2003-09-11, 04:07 PM   #4
ArthurS
EJ207

Well, for the tranny cooler I am going the way of RiftWRX over NASIOC with a Hayden Tranny cooler. He has run his auto into the 12's. I trust his word on that piece.

But I was just curious then....I am not ever going to run a bigger turbo or intercooler. I will have about 315 horsepower when finished, and the Torque converter mod (which I am trying to do before winter). So is a oil cooler necessary?

SubyDude sells a oil cooler set for 200$. The Hayden tranny cooler is only 45$. I am just not sure if I need both. Don't they basically mount in the same spot?
Old 2003-09-11, 04:18 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
SubyDude sells a oil cooler set for 200$. The Hayden tranny cooler is only 45$. I am just not sure if I need both. Don't they basically mount in the same spot?
Well, you need both if you want to cool both oils. Cooling the tranny oil will not have an effect on the motor oil. Check you oil temp gauge... I doubt it gets over 220, which is not too hot. And living in Reno, you'll need a oil thermostat to prevent cooling of the oil till it gets hot.
Old 2003-09-11, 05:29 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Well, you need both if you want to cool both oils. Cooling the tranny oil will not have an effect on the motor oil. Check you oil temp gauge... I doubt it gets over 220, which is not too hot. And living in Reno, you'll need a oil thermostat to prevent cooling of the oil till it gets hot.
So I should be fine if I get a tranny cooler. Scott, my oil temp gauge has been at 210 most of this summer. Is it because I am running thicker oil? During winter time it was around 185 now anywhere from 190 to 210 depending on the day and time I guess.
Old 2003-09-12, 07:33 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
So I should be fine if I get a tranny cooler. Scott, my oil temp gauge has been at 210 most of this summer. Is it because I am running thicker oil? During winter time it was around 185 now anywhere from 190 to 210 depending on the day and time I guess.
I think you're fine without the oil cooler, unless you start running track days, or have to sit in Bay Area traffic a lot.

200-220 is the normal operating temp for the oil, IIRC. If you're in that range, your fine... when you start getting above 220, then things are getting a little hot. When I had the oil temp gauge in my car, I never saw it over 220... and that's even autocrossing in 95F weather in Sac. Of course, the auto tranny generates more heat, which could contribute to heat soak of the whole drive train, but I doubt even that would raise the oil temp much.
Old 2003-09-12, 08:17 AM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

Cool thanks. I will be done with step 2 soon then.

Step 1 - Tranny Temp Gauge, Water Temp Gauge, 3 Pod A-Pillar

Step 2- Transmission Cooler

Step 3 - ProTorque Torque Converter, Installation

Then I will have a fast car off the line...Now I can as fast as the stock 5MT WRX and be lazy around town...
Old 2003-09-12, 05:36 PM   #9
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

isn't teh torque convertor always ON, I mean it's a part of the tranny, or will be, you are gonna have to baby it a little off the line even driving around town right, or risk hauling ass at every launch, if someone else drives your car they better be aware of the TQ b/c they might think it's a normal auto off the line until they rear end someone sitting in traffic when the light turns green.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-12, 06:13 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
isn't teh torque convertor always ON, I mean it's a part of the tranny, or will be, you are gonna have to baby it a little off the line even driving around town right, or risk hauling ass at every launch, if someone else drives your car they better be aware of the TQ b/c they might think it's a normal auto off the line until they rear end someone sitting in traffic when the light turns green.
It's not quite like that:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

If the driver's only easing on to the gas, the TC won't suddenly fling 'em forward. So, I guess if you're used to driving a normal WRX 4EAT, you'll prolly notice the car has better acceleration, but it's not gonna be so dramatic that you start rear-ending people.
Old 2003-09-12, 10:36 PM   #11
ArthurS
EJ207

Nah it will just improve a little on city driving basically. Its when I get on the brake-gas technique that it will fling me forward.
Old 2003-09-12, 10:56 PM   #12
ArthurS
EJ207

Well, I have bought all of stage one, and all of stage two.

Here is the tranny cooler I picked up today. Now basically I have to wait to get the water temp gauage in the mail along with the lo-tek pillar pod. Then it all gets installed, then on to the T/C itself which will be about a 1,200$ job if not more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hayden_transmission_cooler.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	282  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hayden_transmission_insides.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	283