Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2006-03-15, 04:55 PM   #1
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi
Default The six stroke engine ... it's two strokes better!

Article

The article doesn't have a lot of technical details, but it seems the extra 2 strokes are used to inject water, which instantly turns to steam, which powers the last stroke and provides the cooling (the engine has no radiator).
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 05:43 PM   #2
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

So instead of a 2 gallon 20 lb. radiator sytem, I need to carry around 15 gallons of distilled water at 8.33lbs. and $1 or so/Gal.

Makes sense to me.
Old 2006-03-15, 05:45 PM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

If it works like it's theoretically supposed to, you'd be carrying less fuel. The weight savings factor is basically nil, but if he can make gasoline engines more efficient than diesel engines, he might be on to something.
Old 2006-03-15, 07:50 PM   #4
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Wow very impressive. i'de rather have the sports car the HS kids made. but still
A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 08:48 PM   #5
Pat R.
EJ251

Car: Red
Class: Stockish

¿Quién es tu padre?

I'm working on an eight stroke engine that involves the same concept plus Taco Bell and a one-way valve in the driver's seat. Emission issues are holding me up so I'm thinking of switching to Baja Fresh.
Pat R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 08:49 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Watch those backfires Pat...
Old 2006-03-15, 08:50 PM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

More Strokes=More Gooder
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 08:55 PM   #8
Kevin M
EJ22T

That's what she said! Only without the engrish.
Old 2006-03-15, 10:44 PM   #9
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

You guys make me raff [/engrish]
Old 2006-03-15, 10:58 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
So instead of a 2 gallon 20 lb. radiator sytem, I need to carry around 15 gallons of distilled water at 8.33lbs. and $1 or so/Gal.

Makes sense to me.
Yeah Dean, it would really suck to get 60 mpg, an extra 40 hp, and better cooling w/o a radiator, all for having to fill up 2/3 gas 1/3 water, especially since water costs 1/3rd the price of gas.

BTW, BWM already has a working prototype of a water/steam system, though I don't know if it uses the 6-stroke concept.
Old 2006-03-16, 07:29 AM   #11
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

just more shit to go wrong as far as I'm concerned. every time "they" come up with some great new invention to revolutionise the automotive world, I get screwed somehow! (see: Nissan CVT)
Old 2006-03-16, 08:29 AM   #12
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Yeah Dean, it would really suck to get 60 mpg, an extra 40 hp, and better cooling w/o a radiator, all for having to fill up 2/3 gas 1/3 water, especially since water costs 1/3rd the price of gas.

BTW, BWM already has a working prototype of a water/steam system, though I don't know if it uses the 6-stroke concept.
I'll beleive it when I see it. water is not magic. it will need a delivery system, it's own tank and it weighs more than gas, etc. And who says it is cheaper than gas? You show me a nationwide distilled water distribution system in the quntities that we are talking about that delivers it at thousands of stations accross the counntry for less than gas, and I'll believe it.

I hope it is the answer to all our problems, but I'm not convinced. High pressure water vapor/steam if you prefer is going to squeeze through the smallest spaces in piston rings, scrub the lubrication from the cylinder walls, etc. Sounds like a bad recipe for a engine making any kind of torque.

And don't forget you have to stop the engine at some point. what happens to the cylinder that is full of unexhausted water vapor? can you say oxidation? Maybe we will have stainless or ceramic blocks.

And notice he hasn't managed to get it on a dyno, but is sure it makes more power...

Hope I'm wrong, but my pesimistic side is winning this one, and I say the glass is 3/4s empty.

Last edited by Dean; 2006-03-16 at 08:33 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 10:24 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
I'll beleive it when I see it. water is not magic. it will need a delivery system,
Existing technology. www.aquamist.co.uk, or just use the same stuff that's used for fuel delivery in a parallel circuit.

Quote:
it's own tank and it weighs more than gas, etc.
Trade a 15 gallon fuel tank for a 10 gallon fuel tank + a 5 gallon water tank. Same space, only a little more weight. If you really think the extra 12 lbs the system weighs when topped actually makes a real-world difference...

Quote:
And who says it is cheaper than gas? You show me a nationwide distilled water distribution system in the quntities that we are talking about that delivers it at thousands of stations accross the counntry for less than gas, and I'll believe it.
Distilled water costs $0.66/gal at Walmart. Also, IIRC, the BMW system is nearly a closed system that reuses the water, so you rarely have to top off the system.

Quote:
I hope it is the answer to all our problems, but I'm not convinced. High pressure water vapor/steam if you prefer is going to squeeze through the smallest spaces in piston rings, scrub the lubrication from the cylinder walls, etc. Sounds like a bad recipe for a engine making any kind of torque.

And don't forget you have to stop the engine at some point. what happens to the cylinder that is full of unexhausted water vapor? can you say oxidation? Maybe we will have stainless or ceramic blocks.
An engine block is exposed to more water just due to normal humidity that it is when you add water injection to the mix. I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Hell, cast-iron steam trains didn't rust out in 20 minutes. A modern engine designed for the water cycle would be no different than a current motor that has to deal w/ condensation and the like already. In fact, I'll bet a water-stroke motor would run cleaner due to the constant steam cleaning it gets.

Quote:
And notice he hasn't managed to get it on a dyno, but is sure it makes more power...

Hope I'm wrong, but my pesimistic side is winning this one, and I say the glass is 3/4s empty.
He didn't say it makes more power, he said it makes the same power with less gas... which is the whole point. I said it makes more power, because the next step (since you've already got a water delivery system in place) is to add water injection to the gasoline power stroke and make more power.

Do I expect this to revolutionize the automobile industry? Nope. But I recognize that we're entering a new era of car design where we're going to see alternatives to the normal gasoline motor. Hybrids, E85, diesel, water-stroke, pure electric, hydrogen, etc... people are finally going to have choices. And as the kinks are worked out on smaller production cars, we'll start to see these technologies in large scale vehicles.
Old 2006-03-16, 11:18 AM   #14
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

also if you count the weight reduction for no radiator , and the radiator coolent , it should equal out or save you more weight over all. ESP in those big rig examples. taking out a 1200 lb radiator. so he could carry 600 lbs of water and still be saving weight. the weight is definatly a moot point.

you can also distill your own water its not that hard. (i belive all you do it let it settle and drain most of a tank out slowly , and not from the very bottom) could be wrong on that, but i'm sure its easy enough.

Wonder if this old guy could work with the HS kids that made the soy bean biodesiel car . could combine everything and come out with around 100 miles to the gallon (of desiel) . Now that would be Sick!

Last edited by A1337STI; 2006-03-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2006-03-16, 11:20 AM   #15
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
High pressure water vapor/steam if you prefer is going to squeeze through the smallest spaces in piston rings, scrub the lubrication from the cylinder walls, etc.
And combustion gases don't? IIRC typical cylinder pressures are in the thousands of psi, any fluid at those kinds of pressures is going to squeeze through any gaps.
Old 2006-03-16, 11:24 AM   #16
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

ya isn't there less resitance to push the piston , then for the air to just escape out the rings? If not wouldn't every engine leak lots of air and end up not running?
Old 2006-03-16, 12:05 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
An engine block is exposed to more water just due to normal humidity that it is when you add water injection to the mix. I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Hell, cast-iron steam trains didn't rust out in 20 minutes. A modern engine designed for the water cycle would be no different than a current motor that has to deal w/ condensation and the like already. In fact, I'll bet a water-stroke motor would run cleaner due to the constant steam cleaning it gets.
Given that roughly half of the the combustion byproduct is water, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit: way late.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:07 PM   #18
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI
you can also distill your own water its not that hard. (i belive all you do it let it settle and drain most of a tank out slowly , and not from the very bottom) could be wrong on that, but i'm sure its easy enough.
No, you filter it (optional) then boil it off and capture the steam.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:46 PM   #19
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

5Gal + 10Gal <> "Preliminary estimates suggest a Crower cycle engine will use roughly as many gallons of water as fuel."

12HP under no load <> 300HP under 300ft/lb load

Steam engine <> internal combustion oil sump engine.

Combustion cycle water injection or humidity <> injected water, and high pressure steam

Walmart 1 gal. jug <> 100 or so Billion gallons of distilled water, and the infrastructure to create and deliver it.(Based on 170+ Billion gallon gasoline consumption in the US alone)

All I'm saying "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

That is all.

Last edited by Dean; 2006-03-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:49 PM   #20
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

And where does the energy to make distilled water come from? Magic fairy dust?
Old 2006-03-16, 12:54 PM   #21
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Removing particulate matter from water has to be easier than digging up oil half way across the earth and turning it into gas. Distilled water would be hella cheap if demand rose.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 12:58 PM   #22
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
And where does the energy to make distilled water come from? Magic fairy dust?
No, it's like Santa Claus' sleigh. It comes from the hopes and dreams of little children.

We need to work on getting actual clean water lines to residences before we start worrying about piping distilled water to gas stations. I swear, I turn on a tap in this state and it looks like coconut Kool-aid or somthing.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:58 PM   #23
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R.
I'm working on an eight stroke engine that involves the same concept plus Taco Bell and a one-way valve in the driver's seat. Emission issues are holding me up so I'm thinking of switching to Baja Fresh.
El Rosal Taqueria FTW! I know the owner, maybe we can get you a sponsor!
Old 2006-03-16, 01:00 PM   #24
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Seriously though, I'm fascinated by the number of alternative fuel, hybrid and new ideas that have been surfacing of late. Maybe the fuel companies will finally cut some slack.
Old 2006-03-16, 01:07 PM   #25
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Removing particulate matter from water has to be easier than digging up oil half way across the earth and turning it into gas. Distilled water would be hella cheap if demand rose.
How? Every type of good water filtration or distillation requires energy in the form of pressure, heat, or electricity.

It's like the whole hydrogen powered car theory. Where does all the hydrogen come from? Electrolysis. And the power for the electrolysis comes from where? Coal or petroleum fired power plants. Doh...

Yes, there are solar powered methods of water seperation, but last I knew, were not scalable to the levels required for a hydrogen based economy.

Last edited by Dean; 2006-03-16 at 01:11 PM.