Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2003-02-28, 01:41 PM   #1
KenpoKev
EJ18

Default Upholstery Installers?

I just received a lovely set of Katzskin leather seat covers and seat heaters for my WRX. I also got the installation kit and I'm debating whether or not to do the job myself.

If any of you know of some reasonable upholstery shops that might consider installing these, please shoot me a reply.

Anyone else getting zapped with static electricity every time they get out of the WRX?...that cloth interior is punishing me daily.

I'm sure looking forward to those seat heaters these "brisk" mornings!
KenpoKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-28, 02:51 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Re: Upholstery Installers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpoKev
I just received a lovely set of Katzskin leather seat covers and seat heaters for my WRX. I also got the installation kit and I'm debating whether or not to do the job myself.

If any of you know of some reasonable upholstery shops that might consider installing these, please shoot me a reply.

Anyone else getting zapped with static electricity every time they get out of the WRX?...that cloth interior is punishing me daily.

I'm sure looking forward to those seat heaters these "brisk" mornings!
Lucky dog!!

I've heard the install is actually pretty easy (at least compared to most other installs, like say, an uppipe...) Did the covers come with the toolkit (hogring pliers, etc)? I've read the instructions (doesn't look that hard), plus there's lots of help on NASIOC, and if you've got the tools, I'd say, do it yourself!

The static is caused by your back and ass rubbing the seat as you get out of the car... you get shocked when you ground againt the door. The solution I use: touch metal on the door as you get out.. no more shock! It's only a big problem here in Reno cuz it's so damn dry!! Leather will fix that however, or so I've heard.

Hey, what color / pattern did you get on the Katskins? Are those the ones sold by www.leatherseats.com?
Old 2003-02-28, 03:03 PM   #3
KenpoKev
EJ18

Sperry,
I just finished the up-pipe-down-pipe Samco hose routine. Several hurled tools, some colorful language and skinned knuckles, but the parts are in place and exhaust leaks are finally sealed. What a PITA!

I guess that's why I'm slightly hesitant about launching into the re-upholstery. Yes, I got the intallation package, including tools and a video. The video makes it look easy, but then again the guy demonstrating the job can likely do it in his sleep.

I purchased mine through James Papa at http://www.atd1.com/news_atd.html
Very good service and excellent pricing. My cousin's dealership in CT does business with his company too. I heartily recommend them.

BTW: I still get shocked touching the door on the way out. It must be my "electric personality"

The covers are gunmetal gray (nearly black like most of the interior) with dove gray inserts and stitching. The dove gray matches the headliner and adds a nice contrast.

James gave me a referral of another fellow who installed 'em himself, so I'll check with him before launching into another swear-fest tool toss weekend.

When I do finally get the job done, I'll post some photos.
Cheers,
Kev
Old 2003-02-28, 03:13 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

No way!! You got rid of your exhaust leaks!?! I still leak just a little bit (after 3 tries)... but I'm installing my turbo-back Vishnu exhaust this weekend, and the lower back pressure should prevent leaking in the up-pipe.

If not, then I'm gonna have to source a big-ass sheet (no small sizes... damn these industrial manufacturers!) of 1/8" thick flexible graphite and cut my own gaskets. (http://www.mbigraphite.com/)
Old 2003-02-28, 03:19 PM   #5
KenpoKev
EJ18

Hey Sperry,
I got a new set of gaskets and did the manifold-up/pipe/downpipe tightening routine with success. You might also want to pick up some of the Mr. Gasket exhaust gasket material at NAPA. THey have a 10" square for about $8. Use some copper hi-temp silicone sealer and I think you should be fine. I would however, just use the factory gaskets at the turbo connections.
Let me know how that works out for you. I sure know how frustrating it is!
Cheers!
Kevin
Old 2003-02-28, 03:23 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

"I got a new set of gaskets and did the manifold-up/pipe/downpipe tightening routine" - yep, me too...

"Use some copper hi-temp silicone sealer" - check!

"use the factory gaskets at the turbo connections" - yup.

"pick up some of the Mr. Gasket exhaust gasket material at NAPA. THey have a 10" square for about $8." - haven't tried that yet.. what is it? Just a sheet of gasket material? How thick?

Looks like I need to make a Napa run... I wonder what time they close... where's Khail when you need him!?
Old 2003-02-28, 03:33 PM   #7
KenpoKev
EJ18

Scott,
(At last I've noted your first name...I'm pretty slow you know)

The material is about 1/64" thick and the product code at the big Napa shop in Carson City was 77. I think the retail was $8.99 and jobber was like $8.40...not much discount, but it's the best quality stuff I've found. However, I managed to get everything sealed up without using the stuff.

Try the tightening sequence, just one more time. Where, exactly are you getting the leaks from?

Kev
Old 2003-02-28, 03:43 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Scott,
(At last I've noted your first name...I'm pretty slow you know)

The material is about 1/64" thick and the product code at the big Napa shop in Carson City was 77. I think the retail was $8.99 and jobber was like $8.40...not much discount, but it's the best quality stuff I've found. However, I managed to get everything sealed up without using the stuff.

Try the tightening sequence, just one more time. Where, exactly are you getting the leaks from?

Kev
1st time around, I followed the tightening sequence exactly, and I thought I had a minor leak at the *top* of the upipe. I attempted to re-torque just the top of the up-pipe w/o taking the intercooler off, etc. I was able to change the sound of the leak, but not get rid of it.

So, I got some high-temp gasket sealer... loosened the up-pipe at both ends... slipped the gaskets out, put some sealer on both of 'em and reinstalled eveything. I changed the torque sequence to favor the up-pipe/turbo junction. Eveything was cool for a while, then I took the car on a spirited run a few days later and at the top-end I noticed the leak sound.

When I swapped headers with Art, as part of the gauge install, I noticed the it was the lower joint of the up-pipe that was leaking this time! So, during the header install, I favored the header/up-pipe junction in my torque sequence... making sure it was *really* well lined up.

So now, my leak is really minor (much better than the other times) and I only notice it when the car's really hot and I'm under heavy boost. I'm thinking about just tossing a second gasket (i got a spare) in the header/up-pipe junction, since I've heard some people have had some sucess with that. But like I said earlier, the lowered back pressure of an aftermarket exhaust seems to solve the minor up-pipe leaks... so I'll just put the new exhaust on, and see where I'm at.

BTW: How much noise do you get from your wastegate? I'm not sure how much of what I'm hearing is wastegate flutter vs. leak.
Old 2003-02-28, 04:33 PM   #9
KenpoKev
EJ18

Scott,
If you're running a header, I would tend to agree with the double gasket routine. I think there is a great expansion/contaction issue with a header vs. the stock cast manifolds. I have the Gruppe-S GT knockoff header...sitting on a shelf right now. I had a miserable time trying to seal it up, then when I got it pretty well set, I simply didn't like the loss of low-end that the header produced. So back to the stock manifolds. Maybe when I get stupid and go Satge 4+ I'll put the header back on, but for now the stock manifolds do fine.

I do think you get a bit of noise off the wastegate that sounds much like a leak. Can't tell for sure though. There are advantages to getting older and deteriorating hearing Plus my car came with a seriously upgraded sound sytem.

I'm done at the office now, so I gotta go do the Dad thing with the kids. Let me know if the gasket stuff works out.

Take care,
Kev
Old 2003-02-28, 04:37 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Scott,
If you're running a header, I would tend to agree with the double gasket routine.
Actually I still have stock headers, and I prolly won't upgrade them. I just swapped my passenger side header with Art's car since he bought my gauges and I didn't want to deal with plugging the EGT sensor bung on my header and tapping Art's... so we just swapped 'em. That's when I noticed the black fan shape on the up-pipe gasket indicating a nice leak down there.

Hopefully, things'll go smoothly this weekend and I'll be leak free tomorrow!

Have fun w/ the kids!
Old 2003-03-13, 11:21 AM   #11
KenpoKev
EJ18

Upholstery is now installed!
I have some small digital images of the interior, but they aren't posted on the web. I can email 'em to you if you'd like to post them here.

The install wasn't all that bad. On James Papa's recommendation, I started with the rear bottom, then on the the rear back. The front passenger wasn't all that bad, but I also did seat heaters which complicated it a tad. The drivers seat was a bit of a PITA but I finished it, along with the seat heater wiring, in one evening...or about 4 hours labor.

I REALLY like how this interior looks now. Perhaps one of the best investments in the car.

Tie everything down folks...the storm's rolling in!

Old 2003-03-13, 11:23 AM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Damn that looks sweet!! The gray / black really matched the car well.

I can't wait to see those in person... I've kept toying with the idea of leather or Recaros... but with the leather you get to keep the side impact airbags. Either way, I can't afford 'em now, but someday...