Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2012-05-30, 08:07 AM   #1
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe
Default Nick in the news!

Did you guys see that Truckee Nick is in the news?

I hate the new rgj paywall, but maybe this link will display?
http://www.rgj.com/article/20120530/...letter-topnews
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 08:38 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ
Work of local architect with SketchUp design program featured in Google marketing

Truckee architect Nick Sonder sits Tuesday next to a photo on his computer of one of the homes he has designed. He now includes full 3D renderings that allow people to walk through a home that he is designing. / Marilyn Newton/RGJ

The city of Truckee found itself on Google’s map recently, thanks to the work of a local architect with its sketching and modeling programs.

It all started when Truckee architect Nick Sonder posted samples of work he created with Google’s SketchUp and LayOut programs on an online site earlier this year. Sonder, who has designed homes at sites such as Martis Camp and The Glades at Northstar, uses both programs to generate dimensioned drawings and 3D models of his house designs.

“I posted samples of projects I was working on, and people on the SketchUcation user group asked me to post some more,” Sonder said. “About a week later, I was contacted by someone with the SketchUp development team about doing a marketing piece for Google at the American Institute of Architects convention.”

The result is a promotional video for SketchUp that was shown at the convention in Washington, D.C., this month. In addition to Sonder, the video also featured interior designer Anna Lambiotte of Studio Lambiotte and Hayes Parzybok, president of Truckee-based project and construction management firm HKM + Associates.

Being featured in a video by Google was the farthest thing from Sonder’s mind when he started dabbling in SketchUp about a decade ago. Ironically, Sonder learned about the program after his old business partner returned from an event for SketchUp competitor and industry heavyweight AutoCAD.

“We sent him down to Autodesk University in Las Vegas and he brought back SketchUp with him,” Sonder said. “When I tried it out, I was impressed with its tools and how simple it was to use. I was creating models with the program within a week.”

It was not until two years later, however, that Sonder switched full time to using SketchUp and its companion 2D program, LayOut. In 2004, Sonder bought a new computer and found out his version of AutoCAD would not load on it. He was told he needed to upgrade and fork over $3,995 for a new license for his computer.

“That’s when I said, ‘Forget it,’” Sonder said.

Matter of perspective

In contrast, SketchUp can be downloaded for free while its professional version costs $495 — nearly the same price as the annual subscription fee required for AutoCAD.

The switch has paid off for Sonder, who said the ease of use and robust feature set of SketchUp has made it possible for his one-man operation to compete with the big boys.

“I can produce a set of drawings more quickly, which makes me competitive with the larger firms,” Sonder said. “I can actually do a set of construction docs in a third of the time it used to take me on AutoCAD, which gives me more time to do actual design.”

In addition, Sonder is able to import a wide range of files.

These include AutoCAD, SketchUp also provides access to an online 3D Warehouse, which contains models of elements such as brand-name faucets and furniture that can be imported into a virtual home. SketchUp allows users to place their 3D models in Google Earth as well.

The ability to easily construct 3D versions of a house is especially helpful when dealing with customers and contractors, Sonder said. The architect uses the program to render every detail of a house, from the screws on large wood beams to the frame and trim of a window.

“I can have customers sit on the couch in front of my 55-inch TV and fly inside and around the house (I modeled),” Sonder said. “Most people really don’t have a concept of looking at a floor plan. This allows them to look at details of the house in real time.”

Recently, Google decided to sell SketchUp to Colorado-based Trimble Navigation Limited.

The sale has generated mixed reactions from users who worry about potentially losing the program’s free or low-cost features. Sonder said he hopes Trimble keeps the features that users love about the program.

In the meantime, the architect said he’s simply amazed by how much technology has impacted his field.

“My first job out of school, I was hand-drafting and drawing on mylar and vellum,” Sonder said. “These days, I don’t just give contractors 2D drawings, I can give them perspective from all around the house in 3D so they can see what it actually looks like. I think it’s just wonderful.”
That's a weird article... it's basically an ad for SketchUp. The last time I saw Nick we were BSing about SketchUp and he was telling me how he was using it instead of AutoCAD and other tools. I was surprised the pro version has enough features for a professional architect. Sure, you can create awesome models pretty easily with it, but I assumed a true CAD/CAM suite would include a ton of stuff for producing buildable drawings that SketchUp just wouldn't do because it's a modeling program, not a drafting program. The point of SketchUp is to create a nice 3D model... the point of AutoCAD is to produce nice 2D drafts that the builder uses. I wonder if Nick's using 3rd party add-ons or something for generating drawings. That, or the pro version is just a million times better than the free version.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:49 AM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Nick uses SketchUp for the modeling and LayOut for 2D sheets. I was still working with AutoCAD in civil engineering when he told me he was switching to Sketchup and I was skeptical, but he makes it work great. It's entirely possible he is the world's leading expert on using SketchUp and LayOut for architecture. Glad to see him get some recognition.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:03 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Nick uses SketchUp for the modeling and LayOut for 2D sheets. I was still working with AutoCAD in civil engineering when he told me he was switching to Sketchup and I was skeptical, but he makes it work great. It's entirely possible he is the world's leading expert on using SketchUp and LayOut for architecture. Glad to see him get some recognition.
Right, I forgot about LayOut. That's probably what makes all the difference.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:17 PM   #5
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Right, I forgot about LayOut. That's probably what makes all the difference.
Just ran into this thread today. My how time flies. Trimble which just purchased Sketchup put the video they prepared live today.

It's been a crazy year for me, especially with Sketchup and their transition to Trimble. They came out and it was a great thing for me to be able to pick the brains of the developers. I do only use Sketchup and Layout for all my work now and it has been such a major improvement over ACAD. I can do so much more, with a higher level of accuracy and integration.

Sorry for being so absent in the past. Work has kept me (thankfully) very busy!

Nick