Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2013-09-19, 11:26 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Anyone getting a new iPhone?

I just logged into apple.com to order a 5s to replace my 4s. At 12:03 the site was listing shipping in 1-3 days. At 12:18 it was listing shipping at 7-10 days.

Of course AT&T's back-end servers couldn't handle the crush of requests from Apple for account status checks... so Apple's site gave me a reservation to allow me to complete my order once AT&T is back up. Hopefully that keeps my place in line for 1-3 day shipping. I'd rather not have to wait 2 weeks for a phone, and there's no way I'm going to wait in line at the Apple store. I'm kinda surprised there's this much hype over an incremental update.

This is the part where everyone tells me I should be getting a Galaxy something-or-other.
Old 2013-09-20, 08:12 AM   #2
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I've been hearing the rumor that there are some serious supply constraints, which might be the reason for no pre-orders and the reason for it going out of stock so quickly.

Either that, or Apple is manufacturing demand by artificially limiting it.
Old 2013-09-20, 08:33 AM   #3
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

I am debating it. I will probably wait a bit though (not like I would have a choice anyway ).
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 10:14 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Well, I've had a bit of an issue ordering one so far...

At 12:30 last night, I got an email from Apple that my reservation was ready to be filled. But when I tried to order the phone it said my AT&T account couldn't be upgraded. So I went to AT&T, and sure enough I could order from them, so I placed my order.

However, this morning I had an order confirmation email from AT&T that said my phone was shipping between 10/21 and 10/30. So I tried my reservation at Apple again, and now it's coming back as eligible. So I called AT&T to cancel my order, and the guy on the line told me their system didn't have my order/upgrade in it yet so all I have to do is decline the Terms and Conditions email I'll eventually get from them to cancel my order. In the meantime I placed my order with Apple, so that should ship out in the next day or so.

Something tells me I'm about to end up with two iPhones... and they're both going to be tied to the same phone number.
Old 2013-09-20, 01:17 PM   #5
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Wow, that makes my head hurt...weird.
Old 2013-09-20, 02:32 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Well, it gets weirder.

I called AT&T back to try and cancel my order again since I never received that BS "Terms and Conditions" email. The person I talked to seemed a lot more knowledgeable, but was unable to cancel my order because it was already being handled by the warehouse... i.e. my phone was already shipping. So, I may end up with two iPhones for real. And yet, somehow I was able to order them both at the subsidized discount.

The lady told me once I received it, I could return it within 14 days for a refund. I asked if I could give it to a friend instead of returning it and have them activate it, and she said yes... but I bet there will be an issue with the fact that it's a subsidized phone somehow attached to my account. But if there's a way to make that work and if anyone here is interested in getting a phone sooner than later, I might be able to sell you the 2nd phone I've got coming (64GB black).
Old 2013-09-20, 03:22 PM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Due to $170 in credits on my bill from Retention when I tried to cancel, I just bought an HTC One on Sprint for a net price of -$70 plus free urBeats earphones and a $50 Dell gift card (so kinda like -$170) but the 4G LTE in Santa Rosa is a total joke...nothing like what the coverage map on their site would make you think, so I'm returning it within the 14 day policy and going with a Galaxy S4 on Verizon instead. It's only $100 shipped (Dell doesn't charge the $70 in tax everyone else in CA does) + $90/month on an individual plan and I'll finally get everything I've always wanted from a phone and a network. Haha

The HTC One is nice and butter smooth but it lacks the removable battery and micro sd card slot of the S4. Plus the camera on the One is shitty at everything except low light, but man it is quick. It's like a semi-auto firearm but the 4 "Ultra pixel" camera is a joke and the images are very low resolution.

I just read this article at lunch. The new iPhone looks pretty damn impressive. This article makes quad core CPUs sound foolish. I'm just glad the S4 gets even better battery life than the One, and better performance.

http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-be...717023@barrett
Old 2013-09-23, 04:12 AM   #8
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I don't do iPhones, I got a galaxy something or other.
Old 2013-09-23, 09:04 AM   #9
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Yeah, my S3 running Synergy has been nice.