Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2005-05-18, 01:36 PM   #1
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP
Default Episode III Midnight showing

Anybody else capable of going to see the midnight screening of Episode III?
Old 2005-05-18, 01:37 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Um, is that Ep 2 or 3?

And no, I can't go, I have to be up early tomorrow morning to go see EpIII for free instead of going to work.

Edit: nice ninja title edit.
Old 2005-05-18, 01:42 PM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Nice job seeing the thread in the first 8 seconds it was up.

And uh, nevermind guys. Right after I posted that, I got called and asked to come in for an interview tomorrow at 9. midnight showing= no good.
Old 2005-05-18, 01:51 PM   #4
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Nice job seeing the thread in the first 8 seconds it was up.

And uh, nevermind guys. Right after I posted that, I got called and asked to come in for an interview tomorrow at 9. midnight showing= no good.
Unless the guy interviewing you is a star wars nerd, then seeing at midnight would be a wise career move.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-18, 02:54 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

So I'll meet you at the theater at 11:30, so you can give spoilers to your entire department in the morning?
Old 2005-05-18, 03:05 PM   #6
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Sorry, but after the abortion that was phantom menace, I can only see star wars movies for free during work hours
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-18, 03:35 PM   #7
Kevin M
EJ22T

I'm thinking I'll be going after the meet thursday night. Those of you not getting paid to skip work might want to join me, and probably some of you that did see it will want to again.
Old 2005-05-18, 06:05 PM   #8
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Sorry, but after the abortion that was phantom menace, I can only see star wars movies for free during work hours

ha haha ..
tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-18, 06:07 PM   #9
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

in other news some high level movie critics are saying episode 3 is better than episode 4,5 ,6 ..

hmm.
tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-18, 06:42 PM   #10
Kevin M
EJ22T

I think that's distinctly possible. Life in the galaxy really freakin' sucks in Episode III, and life sucking for everyone is whaty made Empire so good. Plus I hear Ian McDiarmid (the emporer) is absolutely amazing.
Old 2005-05-19, 10:41 AM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Just got back from seeing it.

It's certainly *much* better than I & II... Not so sure about the others. I'd say it's possibly better than Jedi, but Empire is still the best IMO.

The Anakin/Padame dialog and acting is still god awful. But no punches are pulled in Anakin's downward spiral... he really does get friggen evil. Darth Vader bitches!

The CGI is terrific. Much better than Ep I where it seemed too gratuitious... The Ep IV tie-ins abound... almost to the point at the end where it's like, "couldn't they have shown us that a bit earlier?"... you feel kinda like Lucas thinks he has a bunch of stuff to show us or we might not get the connection between III and IV... please.

All in all, it's an awesome movie. I wasn't disapointed. 'Course my expectations were lowered by I and II... Either way, Revenge of the Sith is pretty tight.
Old 2005-05-19, 11:20 AM   #12
doubleurx
EJ205

I know there is a ton of deaths, but is the violence really graphic? I don't think I can avoid bringing Bayley to see it, I just want to be prepared. He is so amped to see this movie.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-19, 11:28 AM   #13
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx
I know there is a ton of deaths, but is the violence really graphic? I don't think I can avoid bringing Bayley to see it, I just want to be prepared. He is so amped to see this movie.
come on its star wars where bullets (lasers) never draw blood even when they lose a hand theres no blood...............just a nub

diclaimer: I have not seen the movie yet - when might you go Nick?
Old 2005-05-19, 11:31 AM   #14
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
come on its star wars where bullets (lasers) never draw blood even when they lose a hand theres no blood...............just a nub

diclaimer: I have not seen the movie yet - when might you go Nick?

Not to sure when, but soon. You wanna go with the kids some time?
Old 2005-05-19, 11:34 AM   #15
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Not to sure when, but soon. You wanna go with the kids some time?
maybe Shaun I don't know if Riley can handdle a non 3-D movie yet thats not a cartoon

I know Shaun would love to go just to hang with boys even if hes not into the movie
Old 2005-05-19, 11:47 AM   #16
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
It's certainly *much* better than I & II... Not so sure about the others. I'd say it's possibly better than Jedi, but Empire is still the best IMO.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 2005-05-19, 01:02 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
There's a *lot* of lightsaber fighting.... many robots and clones killed like in most movies, and that's probably not going to affect the kids.

However, some very important (even if they're bad guys) characters meet gruesome deaths. It's not explicitly shown of course, but it's obvious how they die, and I'm sure even younger kids would pick up on it.

And the worst is that a lot of Jedi die. It may be hard on kids to watch the good guys get killed. And of course, the central theme of the movie is Anakin's decent into becoming Darth Vader... if your kids have seen Ep I and II where Anakin is a good guy, they might find this hard to understand. Anakin does some really evil stuff, and gets horribly disfigured (very graphically) to become Vader.

Those w/ little kids may want to pre-view the movie to decide if they want their kids to see it. And if you do bring your little kids, I'd sit down and explain the plot to them before hand... about how Anakin is seduced by the dark side, and how he becomes an evil person... just so they're prepared for the film, and have a better time understanding why Anakin turns evil.

Unlike the previous two new Star Wars flicks, this is not a kid's movie (all though the dialog between Anakin and Padame sure seems like it was written by 12 year old kids). Before this movie the scariest thing in Star Wars might have been the snow beast in Empire... this movie makes the snow beast look like a puppy dog, at least that's how I think a young kid might take it. For example, Gen. Grevious is friggen scary... the Emperor is a twisted fuck... the Jedi are powerless... and Anakin goes evil like the flip of a light switch, to the point where young kids might not totally understand w/ the "good guy" is suddenly doing such bad things.
Old 2005-05-19, 01:33 PM   #18
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
There's a *lot* of lightsaber fighting.... many robots and clones killed like in most movies, and that's probably not going to affect the kids.

However, some very important (even if they're bad guys) characters meet gruesome deaths. It's not explicitly shown of course, but it's obvious how they die, and I'm sure even younger kids would pick up on it.

And the worst is that a lot of Jedi die. It may be hard on kids to watch the good guys get killed. And of course, the central theme of the movie is Anakin's decent into becoming Darth Vader... if your kids have seen Ep I and II where Anakin is a good guy, they might find this hard to understand. Anakin does some really evil stuff, and gets horribly disfigured (very graphically) to become Vader.

Those w/ little kids may want to pre-view the movie to decide if they want their kids to see it. And if you do bring your little kids, I'd sit down and explain the plot to them before hand... about how Anakin is seduced by the dark side, and how he becomes an evil person... just so they're prepared for the film, and have a better time understanding why Anakin turns evil.

Unlike the previous two new Star Wars flicks, this is not a kid's movie (all though the dialog between Anakin and Padame sure seems like it was written by 12 year old kids). Before this movie the scariest thing in Star Wars might have been the snow beast in Empire... this movie makes the snow beast look like a puppy dog, at least that's how I think a young kid might take it. For example, Gen. Grevious is friggen scary... the Emperor is a twisted fuck... the Jedi are powerless... and Anakin goes evil like the flip of a light switch, to the point where young kids might not totally understand w/ the "good guy" is suddenly doing such bad things.
ahhh Yahhh....I might even say my son understands its just a movie and not real might go along way towards the graphic nature of a "fictional movie", seems to help a lot. they can turn there heads if they can't handdle all the make up and CG that goes into it
Old 2005-05-19, 01:44 PM   #19
doubleurx
EJ205

Thanks for the heads up Scott.
Old 2005-05-19, 01:52 PM   #20
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
ahhh Yahhh....I might even say my son understands its just a movie and not real might go along way towards the graphic nature of a "fictional movie", seems to help a lot. they can turn there heads if they can't handdle all the make up and CG that goes into it
Even if you tell 'em "it's just a story", it's still scary.

I remember nearly crapping my pants when I saw the snow beast when I was 3. However, I don't remember being freaked out when Luke got his hand cut off... and that seems like something that should have freaked me out.

Speaking of lopped off limbs.... there are quite a few in this new one.
Old 2005-05-19, 02:28 PM   #21
Kevin M
EJ22T

So who feels like going to the 10:20 showing tonight? Or maybe a little earlier?

Edit: 9:00 and 10:05 at Riverside. I can run for tickets for whoever else wants to go.

Last edited by Kevin M; 2005-05-19 at 02:33 PM.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-19, 05:00 PM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Anybody want to go? Tickets may already be sold out, but even if not we should get them before the meet.
Old 2005-05-20, 06:30 PM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Dammit, are you all going to make me go see this by myself? Please don't make me that big of a geek...
Old 2005-05-20, 07:02 PM   #24
STIwish
EJ251

I'd love to see it again.. HELLA kick ass, it actually made me excited about the Star Wars universe again.. but Im kinda far away!
Old 2005-05-21, 10:32 PM   #25
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
in other news some high level movie critics are saying episode 3 is better than episode 4,5 ,6 ..

hmm.
Well I'm sorry to piss in everyone's Cornflakes, but those high level movie critics need to put the rock pipe down. I just saw Ep. 3 tonight, and it was still nowhere near as good as any of the three original films. Same shallow, uninteresting characters and goddamn stupid-ass unreal looking CGI. I'm sorry, but movies just looked more REAL when they actually built sets with full size props and made people up in alien costumes, instead of trying to replicate all that on a fucking computer. Yes, I know, it allows them to do whiz-bang stuff you can't do in real life, but it doesn't matter because no matter how well they do it the effects still look fake. Goddamn, the stop-motion AT-AT walkers from Empire Strikes Back look more real than all this digitized crap.

None of Eps. 1-3 stand on their own as a good, complete movie; if I look at them objectively and not as a SW fan, they just plain suck. There is near-zero character development, so I just find myself thinking "why the fuck do I care what's happening to these people?"

About all I can say in it's defense is that it was much better than 1 & 2 put together... it lost some of the general lifelessness and bad-beyond-belief acting that they had. I might have thought it was a bit better still if the last part of the film hadn't felt so rushed. I guess they didn't have a choice though since they wanked around so much with the story in 1-2 and had so many loose ends left to tie up.

I guess I got my hopes up too much for this one, cause I'm disappointed. I should have known better after the last two catastrophes. Fuck you, George. Fuck you.